PDA

View Full Version : Returning

Masamunemaster
08-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Ok I am thinking of going back to this awesome game, and there is a few things I would like to ask; but a little info on when I got kicked off. When my Play online account just randomly dissappeared they were just about to merge servers together, the level cap was still 75, and I still hated the amount of bots on a low population server(lol).

1. What servers merged together, I was on Pandy at the time so I was going to go back to it.

2. I hear there has been a few changes to THF and other jobs......could anyone enlighten me on the differences please?

Del Murder
08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Pandy merged with Asura. So you would be on Asura now (with me :D).

New abilities and spells post-75 were added to all jobs. I'm not really sure what THF got. Check wiki. There wasn't really any adjustments to jobs for levels 75 and below.

Masamunemaster
08-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Sweet, who else from EoFF are on Asura?

Im trying to figure out who else from my old LS is still playing

Del Murder
08-18-2010, 01:46 AM
I think just me. :( Phanoix may still be around, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Ouch!
08-18-2010, 03:59 AM
What THF got was mostly through what support jobs now offer. THF gets a critical hit bonus at level 78 (meh) and Despoil at level 78. Despoil steals while inflicting a random status effect. It steals from a different pool than Steal and Mug. Unfortunately, it shares a recast timer with Steal, making it mostly useless. DNC became a much more viable support job since it offers Dual Wield II.

Masamunemaster
08-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Did NIN lose its usefulness as a sub now?

Ouch!
08-18-2010, 05:20 AM
It still has Utsusemi for increased survivability. Beyond level 90 /NIN will be superior to /DNC because /NIN will offer Dual Wield III while /DNC still only gives Dual Wield II. DNC gets Dual Wield III at level 60, so it will never give support jobs that job trait. Keep in mind that Dual Wield III is actually the best increase of all the Dual Wield upgrades, jumping from Dual Wield II's 15% delay reduction to a 25% delay reduction. That's a significant leap in damage over time. By comparison, THF/DNC will be able to use Haste Samba at level 90, which would allow THF to gain 5% haste, so 5% less delay reduction while maintaining less a reduction to TP gained (which while wielding daggers is negligible anyway).

Long story short without the math: DNC has become situationally more useful as a support job to THF than it used to be, allowing THF to fill in as a debuffer and back-up healer utilizing TP in parties without sacrificing damage over time. When they raise the level cap to 90 (at the beginning of September), NIN will once again be king.

Del Murder
08-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah DWIII should be pretty awesome. It will make my grinding of NIN to 49 worthwhile.

Masamunemaster
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Well I got thinking, I may wait til the new year rolls around before hopping back on. That way I will have an idea of what an average month in bills will be at my new place, and all the updates will be out.

Ouch!
08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Well I got thinking, I may wait til the new year rolls around before hopping back on. That way I will have an idea of what an average month in bills will be at my new place, and all the updates will be out.
And the game will be absolutely dead because damn near everyone will have moved on to FFXIV. Just something to consider. I would be surprised if SE merged servers again so quickly, so expect things to be increasingly empty.

Masamunemaster
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
eh idk some people would still be loyal...I wanted to play 14 just to see what they did differently on something other than vids

Ouch!
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
eh idk some people would still be loyal...I wanted to play 14 just to see what they did differently on something other than vids
Given the volumes in which people started quitting FFXI as soon as FFXIV's PC release date was officially announced, I'd be very surprised if the numbers of people playing FFXI after September 30 are especially high. The only way I foresee FFXI continuing to live after then is if FFXIV tanks.

Del Murder
08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Where are you getting this data of people quitting when the release date was announced? Is this based on your own experience or something else?

Ouch!
08-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Quetzalcoatl, at least, saw a huge number of people leaving in the month following FFXIV's release date. I was under the impression that it was occurring on other servers as well.

Del Murder
08-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Is this based on you or others noticing particular players X, Y, and Z aren't around any more, or doing things like /sea all and noticing it go from 3,000 people on average to 2,000? I am just curious what you are basing this conclusion on because if it's the former I'm not noticing the same thing on Asura, but I don't do /sea all that much so I can't confirm the latter.

I'm sure there are several people who have quit, but your statement made it sound like a wide spread and well known fact and I'm trying to know where that information comes from.

Ouch!
08-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Searched occasionally. Not really noticing specific people quitting (although I did know a number of people who quit), but the server as a whole seemed a lot emptier than it had been when the server was merged and when the update happened. Also saw a significant influx of posts on FFXI forums about people quitting (citing FFXIV's release) as well as an increase infrequence of the obligatory "Goodbye, Vana'Diel!" shouts in Whitegate.

Regardless, no many people I knew planned on sticking around.

Masamunemaster
08-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I figured some would sooner, but now I doubt they would with the discount going on

Ouch!
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't expect many people to juggle FFXIV and FFXI successfully for very long discount or no. As much as it is a money issue (it's still close to $20.00 a month for the two games), it's very difficult to play two MMORPGs at the same time. I think the discount is a last ditch effort, but maybe that's just me.

Del Murder
08-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Some people have WoW and FFXI accounts active at the same time, but they probably only focus on one at a time. Obviously you can't play two games at once. :p

I can see some people having both because they want to be a part of the FFXIV craze from launch, but also want to finish out the rest of the FFXI content to be released (like level 99 and the final WotG missions).

Ouch!
08-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Some people have WoW and FFXI accounts active at the same time, but they probably only focus on one at a time. Obviously you can't play two games at once. :p

I can see some people having both because they want to be a part of the FFXIV craze from launch, but also want to finish out the rest of the FFXI content to be released (like level 99 and the final WotG missions).

I suppose there's also the crowd waiting for the announcement for the PS3 release date which should be relatively soon. SE hinted at an update on the status of the PS3 beta and release in the near future.

Del Murder
08-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm in that crowd. I don't have a computer that can handle FFXIV, and Miriel's Mac Pro isn't cooperating with the beta.

Ouch!
08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
What are the specs on her Mac Pro? I've heard people with even the "minimum" specs that SE released have trouble with the beta because of all the other stresses that SE is putting on the beta. They said it'll be optimized for launch.

Del Murder
08-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Her specs are top notch. She got a very beefy Mac for her photography. We don't think it's the specs, but some random little thing that might be causing it. I've heard the same thing about beta, so here's hoping, but I don't know if I want to gamble 60 bucks on a game that might not even work.

Masamunemaster
08-21-2010, 05:18 AM
I havent even played my ps3 yet....waiting to move out before I buy games for it

Ouch!
08-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Define top notch. There's nothing about it being a Mac that should be causing a problem at all so long as she has Windows installed through BootCamp and she isn't just emulating the operating system. They say that the minimum specs are a dual core 2.0 GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, and the GeForce 9800 (512MB) graphics card, but that's not working out for beta for a long shot. Just about anything on the market should have a 2.0 dual core, but unless she bought her Mac fairly recently, (i.e. less than a year ago), there's a decent chance her graphics card might not be up to snuff.

Del Murder
08-21-2010, 06:29 AM
She has 8 Core, 8GB RAM, Raedeon HD 4870 graphics, Windows 7 64 Bit via Bootcamp. It's a beast. It runs the benchmark fine and gets pretty decent scores, but the sound on it doesn't work. So we were thinking it could have something to do with the sound, but I don't know why that wouldn't even let the beta run at all. I downloaded the latest ATI Drivers (10.7) yesterday, but that didn't change anything.

Ouch!
08-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Has she been updating BootCamp regularly? I've run into issues in the past where my Windows partition has difficulty with certain parts of the hardware because the BootCamp drivers aren't quite up to date yet. The Benchmark also doesn't run properly for ATI cards regardless (unless they've updated it since I last checked it out), so it's not a good indication for her system.

On another note, I'd like to point out that Miriel does not, in fact, have an eight-core processor. It's the 2.4 GHz quad-core processor with hyperthreading. Manufacturers try to pass hyperthreading off as a doubling the cores, but that's not really how it works. The six-core processor with hyperthreading is the best out there, but the lower end model would be an additional $1,500, so I sincerely doubt she shelled out for it. That's more technicality, though, as the quad-core with hyperthreading is more than sufficient anyway.

Looking around, it seems a month ago, the best graphics card offered might have been the 4870, which might be part of your problems if that's really what you're using (as of early August, they kicked it up to the 5XXX-series ATI cards). It should still run it, but you'll have to be careful. If it's only the 512GB model, you're in trouble since that's just barely minimum specs. I'd look into that. Updating the graphics card may be in order (although it will run you a pretty penny).