PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Event Logs

Ezme
08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I just had the weirdest phone call from a supposed certified microsoft engineer to tell me about errors and warnings in my event log..... when he tried to charge me for some warranty (comp is only 2 months old if that and is covered by "If anything happens" so pretty well covered!) I hung up. However looking at the logs there are a reasonable amount of warnings and errors. I notice a couple of them are where I've shut a non responsive programme using end task.

Anyway, he was blanatly trying to scaremonger me into buying things but is there anything in what he said? Basically that these errors and warning clog up the computer, make it slow and contain spy ware etc etc.

I'm reasonably techie when it comes to software and things but the inner workings.... not so much! This laptop is great for my uses but nothing particularly special, I don't have those sort of funds, it's an Acer Aspire 5740G

Aerith's Knight
08-25-2010, 07:44 PM
2 Months after you buy a computer, someone says you don't have warranty? Puh-lease, that's a scam if you've ever heard one.

The problems you give me are normal for people who have installed a lot of software. They are mostly program conflicts or bugs from Windows, I'm guessing, but nothing to worry about unless you actually get a warning from windows outside of the logs, in a warning box. And 2 months after you buy it, even if it happens, just take it back to the store and they'll fix it. But if you do it now they'd probably just send you on your way, saying it's nothing.

o_O
08-26-2010, 07:26 AM
90% of the warnings you'll get in the event log you can safely ignore. Most users would go their whole lives without ever even knowing the event viewer exists, so I wouldn't worry about it. :p

Don't give that guy any money!

crono_logical
08-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Are they actually real warnings with the yellow icon (or even red if it's more serious), or just the white information logs? You can ignore the latter usually :p

Ezme
08-27-2010, 12:14 AM
I knew he was talking crap! Thanks everyone, there is a mix of warnings, errors and informations but the vast majority is information, the white one. The most amusing bit was when he tried to explain to me what my insurance covers.... ummmm it's called "Whatever Happens" for a reason! lol

I'm better with computers than the average man on the street but I'm below average for this forum so I thought I'd check! I would know if I was having conflicts and issues anyway and could fix the vast majority of them with a bit of fiddling, I might not be the quickest but I do know the computer won't blow up if I hit the wrong thing :p