PDA

View Full Version : Mac or PC

Shiny
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Currently I own a Macbook Pro, but I want to get a desktop as an addition. I am planning on moving into my brother's old room. He has small room enclosed inside of his bedroom that I will be using as a studio of sorts (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/top-10-strangest-computer-setups).

Things to consider:

I use certain programs that are mostly available on both the PC and Mac, but currently at least 5 of those programs are only available for Mac.
CNN internship uses Mac computers for editing.
I like to use MSN and Yahoo messenger, but they suck on Mac.
I also enjoy gaming with MSDOS stuff that only seems to work on PCs.
If I do end up getting a new monitor, Mac offers a pretty sick 30 inch monitor.
I know Mac has a detachable hard drive and you can place more than one hard drive in a motherboard at a time. I'm not entirely sure if you can do this with a PC motherboard.

rubah
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
dosbox is confusing, but it works very well for dos programs

Shiny
08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
!!! Love 4 u. :aimkiss:

Aerith's Knight
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
If you already own a mac, you might as well get another. It's the same as pretty much anything: Mac vs. PC; Xbox 360 vs PS3; Football vs. European football even.

If there are two options, and you've grown up with one, or used it a lot, then if you get the other all you will do is point out it's flaws, lament the fact you can't do all the things you could do and anything that you'd be able to do on the other OS, you never used so it doesn't come to mind in an argument.

Either way, both sides are brainwashed of sorts. I'm a PC user, and I think Macbooks suck when I use them. You're a mac user, and you will say PC's suck when you use them.

Nothing you can do about it, and you only really switch when you hit the breaking point of things you can't do. And seems to me you haven't reached that yet (by far), so just stick with a macbook and find some OSX - Windows emulators for the things you really want to do.

But keep in mind that in the business world, (at least in Europe) Mac's aren't used due to their poor performance, so you might at least want to get a little experience. Microsoft office is a required skill for most jobs.

P.S. This all doesn't apply for people who can afford both systems/consoles/etc in every conflict. Rich bastards..

rubah
08-25-2010, 10:02 PM
In the art and video world, macs are extensively used for their good performance, which is Shiny's career path atm.

(just don't use MS word for mac. ms didn't try with that at all)

Mirage
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
If you're feeling hacky, you could try to install OSX on a PC :>

crono_logical
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd say Mac if you really need those programs which are available on mac only :p You can always run windows inside a virtual machine if you have to :p

Jessweeee♪
08-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Looks like the Mac has more practical uses for you than the PC does!

Shiny
08-29-2010, 04:36 AM
If you already own a mac, you might as well get another. It's the same as pretty much anything: Mac vs. PC; Xbox 360 vs PS3; Football vs. European football even.

If there are two options, and you've grown up with one, or used it a lot, then if you get the other all you will do is point out it's flaws, lament the fact you can't do all the things you could do and anything that you'd be able to do on the other OS, you never used so it doesn't come to mind in an argument.

Either way, both sides are brainwashed of sorts. I'm a PC user, and I think Macbooks suck when I use them. You're a mac user, and you will say PC's suck when you use them.

Nothing you can do about it, and you only really switch when you hit the breaking point of things you can't do. And seems to me you haven't reached that yet (by far), so just stick with a macbook and find some OSX - Windows emulators for the things you really want to do.

But keep in mind that in the business world, (at least in Europe) Mac's aren't used due to their poor performance, so you might at least want to get a little experience. Microsoft office is a required skill for most jobs.

P.S. This all doesn't apply for people who can afford both systems/consoles/etc in every conflict. Rich bastards..
I currently own both a PC and Macbook Pro. My PC is currently busted and the other one is the family computer that I cannot use to install my programs that are both PC and Mac compatible. However, I do need Microsoft Office. I could care less about Mac vs. PC based on personal preference. I just want one that can do what I need it to do and last for at least four years. I've been using both PC's and Mac's all my life so there isn't really an issue there with familiarity aside from having to learn keyboard shortcuts for certain editing programs since Mac and PC keys are so different with those things. As for the business of it, CNN is completely switching to Mac. Their editing suites are completely with Mac, so that's why I'm leaning towards that. If they had PC editing suites then I'd be leaning towards that. It all depends. I know my school also uses Mac. It's more so a convenience thing.

NorthernChaosGod
08-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Hackintosh?

Raistlin
08-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Macs are lame. We settled this already. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/129335-mac-vs-pc.html)

Shiny
08-29-2010, 07:36 AM
http://cdn.erictric.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/microsoft-office-mac-2008-stock.jpg

The real question if I get Mac desktop (how do I pirate this j/k not really...maybe)

kotora
08-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I like to use MSN and Yahoo messenger, but they suck on Mac.

They also suck balls on Windows. Get Pidgin (or Adium on OS X) for all your IM needs. Probably less of a security risk too.

In the art and video world, macs are extensively used for their good performance, which is Shiny's career path atm.

Hardware wise all Apple computers are weaker than a custom computer you'd build for the same price. The only reason Macs are being used by design people is because OS X is apparently easier to use than Windows, not because they're more powerful (which they are not).

Btw, a computer made by Apple is also a Personal Computer. Also Office sucks. Get iWork and Openoffice unless there's a specific feature on Office you need the other don't have.

rubah
08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
http://cdn.erictric.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/microsoft-office-mac-2008-stock.jpg

The real question if I get Mac desktop (how do I pirate this j/k not really...maybe)

don't, it's horrible. (msj)
get a beta of Office 10 or something

anecdata: I feel like my mac laptop has pretty good performance. It was able to run long simulations in MATLAB faster than my computer in the lab, which was supposed to be this epic piece of awesome. no, I don't know how much that particular computer cost, and I don't think I ever looked at the specs, but anyway.

Shiny
08-31-2010, 07:17 AM
The reason I need a desktop is because I want to install at least 2 hard drives in there in addition to the main hard drive. So in total, 3 will be in the motherboard. These 80gb+ .mov files are killing my poor little laptop.

I tried OpenOffice and it sucked, so I got NeoOffice instead, but it doesn't come with Powerpoint and Spreadsheet.

kotora
08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
It does, but they suck as much as their Microsoft counterparts. Go with Keynote instead, it's awesome.

rubah
08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes it does? xD It just opens the word processor by default. File > New > Spreadsheet, Presentation

(open office and neooffice are basically the same program, except one looks more osx-like)

Shiny
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh it does have it whadyya know. The templates for the ppt is horrible though. I'll try keynote.