PDA

View Full Version : Phones

Shlup
08-25-2010, 09:58 PM
I need a new cell phone. Today. I cannot take this fucking LG Incite piece of Windows Mobile 6.1 :bou::bou::bou::bou: anymore. Do you know how many times I've deleted all of my texts? Seven. And they keep coming back. What the :bou::bou::bou::bou: is that?! I thought it would help the problem with me being unable to open texts, but, nope, like a day after I delete them they're just right there. And the battery lasts like 20 minutes. And it's a stupid whore.

So I need a new phone. Someone tell me what phone to get. It must be AT&T (I can't afford to not be on my mother's family plan, shut up). Not that you can't rave about whatever phone you have or want, I'm just saying it won't be helpful to me if the phone you're recommending isn't on AT&T.

Bunny
08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
My phone has broken four times and they won't let me get a different type of phone until it breaks again.

Shiny
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
My phone broke -- the first time was my fault and the second time they gave me a defunct phone. I got a different type of phone under an insurance plan and it sucks more. Phone companies are the Anti-Christ.

EDIT: Also, I have Verizon. My mom has AT&T and seems to be okay with her phone. I'll ask her what one she uses.

Rye
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm on AT&T too and I cannot recommend the iPhone 3G highly enough. I thought I'd like it, but get sick of it like every other phone I had, but I love the iPhone more and more all of the time. I'm not an app maniac, but I have a few really awesome apps for Twitter, Facebook, and a few games that I play with co-workers when work gets slow, like Words with Friends. Most of the apps are free, so you don't even have to shell out anything.

Mostly, the best thing is just the internet anywhere and the Google Map which works as a step-by-step GPS, which is awesome when I'm finding a new shop to visit in Manhattan, because I don't look like a tourist with a big direction list.

Also, the 3G network is actually pretty fast.

The only cons about the iPhone, in my eyes, are:

1) The battery life is kind of dookie; however, if you let it charge overnight and keep it plugged in at your desk while at work, like I do, it's a non-issue.

2) I hate texting with the iPhone. I dearly miss texting with a qwerty keyboard. The iPhone does heat touch rather than touch calibration, so you can't text precisely with your fingernails - it has to be your fingers. It has an auto-correct so my texts are usually accurate, but it's still really annoying to text with. That's why when I'm on EoFF on my iPhone, my typing becomes weird.

PS: It's actually not THAT expensive to have an iPhone on a family plan, because I'm on one too with my brother. Just add $20 a month extra for the internet and you're good to go, champ.

Shlup
08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
This is the glory of the family plan: I use my grandparents' upgrades so I don't have to wait until it's been two years or my phone is super broken. ^_^

The heat-touch on the iPhone was the original reason I got the Incite instead, but it was so not worth it. Heat touch has a learning curve, but it's far more sensitive, I think.

I'm leaning towards Samsung Captivate right now. Definitely want an Android phone.

Rye
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Definitely go with an Android or an iPhone. Anything else is just not worth it, unless you're strictly a text/talk phone person.

Another thing I like about my iPhone is that I use it as an iPod. I have an iTouch that holds a ton of music, but my iPhone is set to hold music from certain artists, plus any new music I download, so I always have my favorites to listen to, so I don't have to lug the iTouch around.

rubah
08-25-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a camera phone.

It makes calls and takes pictures.

Everything else is shadowy and doubtful.

Everyone else's cell problems seem to pale in comparison

Mo-Nercy
08-26-2010, 12:24 AM
I use a Samsung Omnia, still running Windows Mobile 6.1 too. No problems to report though. In fact, I quite like the big guy.

If I had to go out and get a phone right now, I'd get the LG BL-40 (Chocolate 2) (http://www.gearlog.com/images/New-LG-Chocolate2.jpg). I'm not much of a features person - my prerequisites are that it's able to make calls, send texts and look good.

Shorty
08-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Blackberry. Get a damn blackberry.

Pheesh
08-26-2010, 03:39 AM
I don't know what phones are on what US plans, but if you can, get an iPhone (don't know about 4's, but I do have a 3g), they're simply awesome and it's the first phone I've ever been really happy with.

escobert
08-26-2010, 04:16 AM
I use Boost. My phone has been dropped in a lake and rained on and it still works :D

Shlup
08-26-2010, 05:00 AM
For the record, I hate Apple on principle.

Blackberry. Get a damn blackberry.
Blackberrys are for people who wear slacks and shiny shoes.

Shorty
08-26-2010, 05:01 AM
I guess that doesn't rule me out.

Still, they're the best.

Pheesh
08-26-2010, 05:04 AM
For the record, I hate Apple on principle.

I don't think anybody normal actually likes those big companies, but a good product is a good product. :monster:

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I have an Android phone and I love it~ :D It is a Motorola Milestone (DROID in the USA). Sadly, Telus (Canadian cellphone provider) hasn't set-up the update to Froyo yet. :(

Android has is kinks that need to be hammered out, I'm sure some of them are in Froyo but like I said I have yet to try it. :/

Blackberries are cool insofar as it is supporting Canadian technology but they personally lack aesthetic appeal.

o_O
08-26-2010, 07:35 AM
LG

Windows Mobile 6.1 :bou::bou::bou::bou:

That's like the phone version of the perfect storm.

If you want a good phone that just works, then get a Nokia, imo. An iPhone if you can handle <b>Apple's oppression</b>. My Nokia E72 is pretty awesome, especially after four successive Windows Mobile abominations. Don't get the N97 though, and especially not the N97 mini, cos they're awful. :p

xXsarahXx
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
HTC Desire :D

DMKA
08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
My Samsung slidey phone has been thrown out of a car going 45 mph in the rain (don't ask) and it still works. I've also dropped it about ten dozen times.

Samsung ftw.

Peegee
08-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I need a new cell phone. Today. I cannot take this smurfing LG Incite piece of Windows Mobile 6.1 :bou::bou::bou::bou: anymore. Do you know how many times I've deleted all of my texts? Seven. And they keep coming back. What the :bou::bou::bou::bou: is that?! I thought it would help the problem with me being unable to open texts, but, nope, like a day after I delete them they're just right there. And the battery lasts like 20 minutes. And it's a stupid whore.

So I need a new phone. Someone tell me what phone to get. It must be AT&T (I can't afford to not be on my mother's family plan, shut up). Not that you can't rave about whatever phone you have or want, I'm just saying it won't be helpful to me if the phone you're recommending isn't on AT&T.

WAIT SO THE REASON YOU NEED AT&T PHONE IS BECAUSE YOUR MOM WORKS FOR AT&T ?

Why didn't you tell me this like anytime in the last 4 years when I was supporting their helpdesk!?!?

I could've granted your mom admin rights or deleted her emails randomly!

FFUUUUUUUU

ps you're getting an android phone <3 4ever

Bunny
08-26-2010, 04:48 PM
My Samsung slidey phone has been thrown out of a car going 45 mph in the rain (don't ask)

I'm still going to ask, I don't care. What the hell is this?

Shlup
08-27-2010, 04:01 AM
I got a Samsung Impression and I haaaaaaaaate it! The way it handles texts and email is fucking lame. I'm taking it back tomorrow.

I wanted an LG Vu but it's been discontinued. Just like last time I went in and the old model was discontinued so I bought my last :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty phone. AHHHHHH!!!

Rye
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
IPHONEEEEE

Dignified Pauper
08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Get an Android...

Peegee
08-27-2010, 03:55 PM
IPHONEEEEE

OMG MANDEE IF YOU GET AN IPHONE OR IANYTHING I'LL IATTACK YOU

Iceglow
08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I hate to admit it but get the Iphone. Many of my friends with blackberries are changing over to the I-phone. Then again a fair few are swapping from the I-phone to the BB so even stevens there really.

Peegee
08-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I hate to admit it but get the Iphone. Many of my friends with blackberries are changing over to the I-phone. Then again a fair few are swapping from the I-phone to the BB so even stevens there really.

I'm going to punch you with my feet when I get home :aimmad: :mad2:

kotora
08-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Sure, get a BlackBerry if you hate freedom (and therefore, are a terrorist). They recently gave the Saudi government all the personal access codes to the phones in the country they needed to intercept all BlackBerry communications.

Shlup
08-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm not getting a goddamn iPhone! Ever! And I don't like Blackberries. I want a standard non-smarty qwerty slider for now. I have decided on that much, at least.

Bunny
08-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Here (http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/tbcx/phones1.jpg).

You will probably have to save it to your computer (no virusi!) and zoom in on it to read the incredibly small fonts. If you're interested in this type of thing, I don't know how much you know about your phone.

Baloki
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
TURN OFF MICROSOFT MYPHONE IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR TEXTS BACK!

*happily runs WinMob 6.5 though >.>;;*

Edit: I dunno why I typed in allcaps xD