PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to FF

turikkusta4
08-26-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm fairly new to the Final Fantasy games. I've played a bit of some of the games but hardly enough to complete them, and now I want to actually complete one, starting with FFVI.The only problem I have is deciding what version to get.

There's the PSone version, which I've read is good for having the music the way it was executed originally and had better use of colors compared to the GBA version. By they way, I'm not concerned with load times.
Then there's the GBA version that I've read has a much better script but the music is not only of lower quality, but some instruments are emphasized in a displeasing way. The music also continues to play rather than fade out during scenes that were originally more dramatic and powerful because of these fade outs.

So, which one should I get? I wish I didn't have to choose between script or music, but sadly this is the case. Please, tell me your thoughts.

Depression Moon
08-26-2010, 02:02 AM
If it was me I would've chosen the pS1 version that's what I played on. I found it fine and there is still the SNES version which was called III instead. I would personally go for either of those two. It feels more pure if you can get the original and I think Anthology is the least changed version plus it comes with V so that's a +

Wolf Kanno
08-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Its a tough choice. Yes the GBA has worse music and the color is a bit faded, but good god the script is so much better... Basically, you will be choosing between the original with the original silly Woosely script which isn't terrible but the characters lose a bit of themselves in the translation and the plot feels a bit more disjointed thanks to some quirky translations here and there. It doesn't seem so bad if you play if without experiencing the other.

The GBA version is far more cohesive and very close to the original. Several of the characters are portrayed much better and the plot and dialogue is incredible fluid and polished. Still, its a sacrifice since VI has one of the best soundtracks in the series. I don't remember the fade outs but the music does feel overly digitized and more poor quality MIDI like.

I should also bring up the third option which would be doing a ROM, but I personally haven't cared for the fan translations. Yes its got the swearing all back in there but it lacks personality for the characters. At times it feels like just a straight translation with little emphasis on localization to bring out the characters personalities in the dialogue. This is a bit of a big deal cause Japanese has several honorifics and grammatical usage that is important to characters. It would be like a computer reading a script to a Shakespeare play without the use of inflection in the voice to give it personality, it just comes off flat. The fan translations try their best to add dome of this in but the other side of this issue is that some things work differently from a cultural standpoint and thus things are completely missed. Kefka is a very different character depending on which version of the game (SNES-PS1/GBA/ROM) you are on.

Personally, I feel you should play both. Not on top of each other obviously but playing one and then later returning to the other will allow you to see the game from a completely different angle. Just my thoughts. :ffvisexy:

Crossblades
08-26-2010, 04:48 AM
I have played the SNES, PS1, and GBA versions. Out of the 3, I prefer the GBA version. Not that I have anything against the other versions, I just like the GBA version because of the better script and the new Dragon's Den dungeon. And the I don't find the music to be minimized.

VeloZer0
08-26-2010, 04:48 AM
You know you are on a site with fanatics when you ask which you should play and they say play both.

If you are new to FF I would say play whichever version is most convenient for you. If you want to play on the go, GBA. If you want to sit in front of your TV, PS1. If you want to sit at your computer and have access to save states and frame skip go with the ROM.

It is an outstanding game any way you play it, and if you are new to the series I would say play it on whichever console you prefer. Nictpicky bits are more a concern for after you are hooked on the series.

turikkusta4
08-26-2010, 06:52 AM
..its a sacrifice since VI has one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Personally, I feel you should play both. Not on top of each other obviously but playing one and then later returning to the other will allow you to see the game from a completely different angle. Just my thoughts. :ffvisexy:

Is Kefka snobby or something in japanese? I'm aware of these honorifics and ways of speaking for different classes and character existing in the japanese language, so I'm a little curious. ^^

I definitely want to experience this the best way since it's one of the top FF games, if not the top, so yeah.. Playing both is probably the way to go. *sigh* It would be great if I knew japanese and found a copy over in Japan.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I may start with the PSone version, then the GBA. Too bad I want a brand new one that costs $20 (PSone). Used copies aren't very reliable. :P

If you need to add anything, just use the edit button instead of double posting. ~WK

blackmage_nuke
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
The script in the GBA version is a more accurate translation but I feel at many times the script in the PS1 version is more poetic

Depression Moon
08-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I may start with the PSone version, then the GBA. Too bad I want a brand new one that costs $20 (PSone). Used copies aren't very reliable. :P

Yeah I bought anthology online and V freezes everytime I try to save the game so the only way I can beat it is to play the whole thing in one sitting and I ain't definitely doing that.

Wolf Kanno
08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Is Kefka snobby or something in japanese? I'm aware of these honorifics and ways of speaking for different classes and character existing in the japanese language, so I'm a little curious. ^^

He has a strange speech pattern in Japanese. He goes from a soft feminine voice to a loud masculine voice. It can't be conveyed very well in English cause our writing system is very limited in terms of showing these kinds of quirks. If you want to know what I mean, listen to his actual story dialogue (not the battle shouts or victory lines) in Dissidia, both the English and Japanese versions show the change in inflection with his voice as he goes from soft to overly violent. It makes his insanity come across a lot better.

A lot of the puns also don't translate very well and most fan translations are aware of this as well so they tend to warn you. Kefka for the most part just comes off a bit straight in the ROM versions of the script. He's a bit generic whereas the English translations tend to retain his more goofy attitude. Basically, he's a bit more serious in the ROM version, the PS1/SNES version is super goofy and wacky and the GBA version is a nice balance between the two imho.

I hope that helps.

Pyramid Head
08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm thinking you should try the PS version, for reasons stated above.
I dunno myself, I honestly liked it better than all the others, but whatever works for you. :/

Flying Arrow
08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I guess it depends on how much the dramatic fade-outs bother you. I'd go GBA. You can play it anywhere!