PDA

View Full Version : Ovlivion

gothicage
08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
^ OBLIVION..... yes the elder scrolls. i actually really liked this game and was wondering what other people liked about this game.

Yeargdribble
08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Oblivion is an evil game. It's the game that I occasionally get an itch for when I'm trying to play the dozens of other games gather dust on my shelf. When I grab it I check out of reality for well over a month. I get absolutely obsessed with mods to make it prettier and to add tons of fantastic content. I play it until my eyes bleed. Usually it takes some great force (like an out of town trip) to break my addiction. Then I put it back on the shelf for a good 6 or so months.

I already know that when I go back next time OOO won't be enough for me. Gonna totally attempt a FCOM set up. On my last run through the game I was up to around 100 mods.

iced_saltine
08-27-2010, 12:44 AM
elder scrolls is all sorts of awesome and i'm stoked for the next installment.

my favorite thing to do is ride the unicorn

gothicage
08-27-2010, 10:33 AM
i really enjoyed morrowind. when oblivion came out i was like OMG i need that game :p. sad thing is i got it on the PS3 not the PC but at least its the game of the year edition...

Dignified Pauper
08-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I had it on both, but it runs like poop on my PC, so the PS3 version is what I play, which kind of sucks... :(

Madame Adequate
08-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Oblivion? Without mods, not very good. It's a game with an uninspiring story, fair-to-good combat, very shiny but very bad aesthetically, especially when you keep in mind that Cyrodiil was supposed to be a vast jungle (and we know Bethesda can do great aesthetics because that was a major reason Morrowind was so great), terrible voice acting, terrible dialogue, terrible writing in general, boring and insipid quests, lack of choices, completely inconsequential player actions, AI which is so legendarily retarded that how they thought it a good idea to hype the quality of the AI is beyond me. Skills are simplified from Morrowind, itself simplified from Daggerfall, and I presume in TESV you'll have a choice of four skills; fight, magic, move-sneaky, and talk.

Don't even get me started on scaled levelling.

With mods - and I mean a lot of mods, FCOM is just the start, I currently have 100+ - it becomes a reasonably good game, but still suffers from quite a few of the above. I prefer Morrowind, at least that was an interesting and engrossing world.

Dreddz
08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I have tried on two separate occasions to get into Oblivion but could only stand maybe 15 hours of the game each time. You can create a world as vast as you want but if its the same aesthetically throughout who cares. The combat is awkward and the story is throwaway as well. I really don't understand the buzz around the game to be honest.

To the games credit, both of my playthroughs ended up entirely different. First time I just focused on the story but the second time I spent most of my time joining guilds etc. Would like to run through the games main story arc at some point. Having games unbeaten in my library always keeps me up at night.

Araciel
08-27-2010, 04:29 PM
MORROWIND

Flying Arrow
08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Oblivion? Without mods, not very good. It's a game with an uninspiring story, fair-to-good combat, very shiny but very bad aesthetically, especially when you keep in mind that Cyrodiil was supposed to be a vast jungle (and we know Bethesda can do great aesthetics because that was a major reason Morrowind was so great), terrible voice acting, terrible dialogue, terrible writing in general, boring and insipid quests, lack of choices, completely inconsequential player actions, AI which is so legendarily retarded that how they thought it a good idea to hype the quality of the AI is beyond me. Skills are simplified from Morrowind, itself simplified from Daggerfall, and I presume in TESV you'll have a choice of four skills; fight, magic, move-sneaky, and talk.

Don't even get me started on scaled levelling.

Yep. Everything here is true, yet I still love the game. Morrowind is certainly the better RPG, I think, but... geh. Fallout 3 (probably Oblivion's closest relative) does a lot of things better than Oblivion, but I still do prefer Oblivion. It's just a guilty pleasure, I guess. Can't wait for ESV.

Oblivion is an evil game. It's the game that I occasionally get an itch for when I'm trying to play the dozens of other games gather dust on my shelf. When I grab it I check out of reality for well over a month. I get absolutely obsessed with mods to make it prettier and to add tons of fantastic content. I play it until my eyes bleed. Usually it takes some great force (like an out of town trip) to break my addiction. Then I put it back on the shelf for a good 6 or so months.

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

escobert
08-27-2010, 05:45 PM
I enjoy Oblivion but I much prefer Fallout 3 :p

G13
08-27-2010, 08:28 PM
MORROWIND

Bunny
08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Oblivion was pretty crappy.

Nominus Experse
08-27-2010, 09:40 PM
adq3

Madame Adequate
08-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Fallout 3 is much superior. It fixes a fair majority of the things wrong with Oblivion, and though it's not a worthy successor to the first two as an RPG, it is a good and solid game which can actually be thoroughly enjoyed sans mods.

Ultima Shadow
08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
First time I just focused on the story but the second time I spent most of my time joining guilds etc. Would like to run through the games main story arc at some point. Having games unbeaten in my library always keeps me up at night.
You are doing it wrong! As soon as you get yourself a weapon, you are supposed to walk into that large city in the middle - whatever its name was - and wack down as many commoners as you possibly can before the guards kills you. That's the way to enjoy Oblivion.

...well, at least that's the way to do it unless you got thousands of mods. With mods, exploring can be pretty darn awesome as well. Like that flying castle mod. Love that one. I used a "create custom character" code to fill it with elven babes with bat-wings, horns and bikinis (also aquired trough mods). And jumping off the flying castle and falling 4000 meters to certain doom is pretty funny too. :greenie:

Meat Puppet
08-28-2010, 11:33 AM
My god Oblivion is a :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty game.

It’s like TES: Playskool or something.

The fact that mods are almost a requirement says something about this game.

Yeargdribble
08-28-2010, 12:07 PM
There are a few things needed to change the way leveling sucks in Oblivion that are extremely important to me.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (OOO) makes the game world a lot more interesting and the dungeons static. The dungeons won't level with you making you actually feel weaker as you level. It's hard to start out because you're a weakling, but it's also very satisfying to have enemies make your crap your pants only to slowly be able to take them out and then eventually be strong enough to massacre them. The feeling of progression makes the game so much more worthwhile and the dungeon crawling is much more rewarding as well as there's actually a point in going to random dungeons that will actually have variety. OOO also adds several dozen other things.

There's a mod that lets you add +5 at every level up as long as you used that skill. In the vanilla game you have to hold off on leveling up (sleeping) so you can grind in an area to make sure you get +5 so the level isn't wasted by a +1 or +2 in some stat. This makes that not be the case and you can just pick the area you want to grow in. It also makes OOO slightly easier (which it needs if you're playing on a reasonable difficulty). Some may view this as cheating, but I think it really just makes the game's leveling system punish you less which results in more fun.

There's also an upcapping mod that allows your skills and attributes (I think) to go up to around 200. If you're playing a long drawn out game with OOO, especially if you're focusing on a specific type of character, you will eventually hit the cap and things will start to stagnate. The game gets less fun when you feel yourself not getting better, so setting the limit higher makes the game thoroughly more enjoyable.