PDA

View Full Version : Gaming series that haven't let you down

Levian
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Are there any of them left for you? :D

For me it'd be Resident Evil and Silent Hill, I guess. Resident Evil took a turn, and I sometimes miss the way of the old games, but the last two games were still loads of fun in a different way. Silent Hill has only cranked out great games afaic. Silent Hill 5 was a bit of a letdown to me at first, but I've appreciated it more on my second playthrough.

Main Mario and Zelda series also has great consistency of quality.

Jessweeee♪
08-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Final Fantasy, believe it or not.

Shoeberto
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, anything Valve, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Super Smash Bros

Resident Evil has certainly had disappointing moments for me or else I'd put it on the list. I really, really did not like RE0. I thought it was just absolutely lame and a poor follow-up to the wonderful stuff they managed to do with the remake. I haven't played 5 yet, but I'm going into it anticipating all the action of 4 without much of the suspense. I've liked the Silent Hill games that I've played, but admittedly I've only followed the first two through to completion.

blackmage_nuke
08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
I cant think of a single series Ive played that doesnt have atleast one bad entry. Age of empires maybe.

edit: The Chrono Trigger/Cross series is good but probably because it only has two games. Seiken Densetsu series has also been pretty consistent.

Dreddz
08-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd love to say Final Fantasy but after XIII I just dunno. I thought Square has a near flawless track record up until then.

Shinobi might be one of the only franchises that has never let me down. Even the Shinobi game for the PS2 was awesome. No qualms with that series. Wonder why Sega forgot about it. In fact there are numerous other Sega series that are mostly stellar throughout. Shenmue, Phantasy Star, House of the Dead, Shining Force and Jet Set just to name a few. If only I could add Sonic to that list.

Polnareff
08-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Mega Man Legends, Breath of Fire (hell I even like Dragon Quarter), Fatal Fury, Shenmue, Yakuza, Parasite Eve. That's all the ones I can think of offhand. Nearly every other series has had at least 1 game I didn't like.

The Man
08-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I have been rickrolled.

On topic, Suikoden. That said I haven't played any after II yet.

escobert
08-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Unless you count Guild Wars which only has one game I'd say no there isn't on that hasn't let me down :p

Crop
08-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Nope, none left for me.

Bunny
08-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Suikoden.

Some of them lack the shine of the others (IV, specifically) but they still manage to be worthwhile and entertaining games to play.

iced_saltine
08-30-2010, 12:57 AM
a whole series? that's really tough...

donkey kong, maybe.

Old Manus
08-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I...

...Oh my God, there aren't any :onoes:

Clo
08-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Silent Hill hasn't disappointed you? Some of them have been lackluster recently.

I think every series has disappointed me at least once.

Madame Adequate
08-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Halo.

Flying Arrow
08-30-2010, 03:22 AM
I...

...Oh my God, there aren't any :onoes:

Yeah, I'm really struggling too. I'm going to have to go with an easy one: the main Mario series. Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine, G1 and G2. Now, I haven't played G2 yet, and Sunshine was kind of... eh. I'm not really comfortable with this answer.

Pheesh
08-30-2010, 03:24 AM
I would say Kingdom Hearts, although I haven't played 356 or BBS yet. Also, NBA 2K consistently does me proud every year (granted I only started playing at 2K7, but I hear it was good before then as well). I've loved both Diablo's (although after 2 I can't really play 1 anymore, but I don't think that should count as disappointment). Add to that the 2 Knights of the Old Republic games and the 2 Mass Effects and I guess there's my list.

Vermachtnis
08-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Pokemon, even the third gen wasn't that bad after FireRed and LeafGreen. They keep adding more stuff and new monsters.

DMKA
08-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Final Fantasy and Resident Evil are the only ones I can think of.

Haters gonna hate, etc. I have yet to play a mainseries FF or RE game that I didn't get a smurfton of enjoyment out of, even if there are some I like less than others.

Spinoffs, well...they're an entirely different story. But much like Disney sequels, I'm going to ignore them.

Seriously, Dead Aim? Survivor? What the hell was that crap?

Mirage
08-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Uh, metal gear solid, donkey kong country

Shoeberto
08-30-2010, 06:06 AM
If this was after FFX had come out, I might've listed Final Fantasy, but I was disappointed with XII and XIII. You could almost call XI a side-story, so I don't really count it. XIII had fun battles and was pretty but otherwise was pretty weak, and XII was just boring as heck. I couldn't even get past the first five hours before giving up.

Mirage
08-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Your face is a side story :(.

Mo-Nercy
08-30-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm pretty happy with Final Fantasy.

Soul Calibur and Tekken have also been very consistant for me. You could argue that Tekken 4 is bad, but I liked it because it reintroduced my favourite character who I'd thought had been killed off prior to the events of 3.

Oh, and Dynasty Warriors, believe it or not. The Empires expansions bring a good strategic aspect to it.

Pheesh
08-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Soul Calibur and Tekken have also been very consistant for me. You could argue that Tekken 4 is bad, but I liked it because it reintroduced my favourite character who I'd thought had been killed off prior to the events of 3.

Tekken 4 was the reason Tekken didn't get a mention from me, but it has a lot more games in the series that I do like than some of the others I mentioned, so it should receive credit.

VeloZer0
08-30-2010, 07:38 AM
If you are talking not letting me down I would be including stuff like Halo, but that is more from me not expecting much than to me really enjoying them.

Games that come to mind:
Starcraft
Warcraft
Diablo
Chrono

That is about it.

Freya
08-30-2010, 08:18 AM
I haven't played story of SC2 yet but yeah Warcraft and Starcraft. Blizzard does a damn good job of keeping me happy.

kotora
08-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Baldur's Gate. Pretty much every other series has let me down in one way or another (either that or I don't care enough to mention them). Most recently, Blizzard's fuckup with SC2s multiplayer system.

G13
08-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Halo.

I thought I was the only one. I was a little miffed at how short 3 and ODST were though.

Half-Life first comes to mind. Great series, and it's only getting better. GTA hasn't really disappointed me, though I do get bored rather quickly with those games. Prince of Persia hasn't, but I shouldn't say that until I play the newest one I suppose. Kingdom Hearts has yet to make a bad installation (imo). There are probably more I'm just really tired and don't want to think too hard atm.

Rantz
08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Legend of Zelda, Baldur's Gate, and uh... Monkey Island http://dl.dropbox.com/u/729269/Emoticons/guybrushsword.gif

vinnie's mini's
08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Psh that's a hard thing to answer. Since I've sat for ages trying to think up an answer I'm going to go for an easy one and say Zelda. I grew up with the series and I've loved every one, so much so that it's got to be the series that I've re-played the most times.

Oh and I'll also suggest Pikmin. Although there are only two games in the series I adore both and for me, they never get boring.

So yes, Zelda and Pikmin. :bigsmile:

Jiro
08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
All games disappoint me I don't know why I play them.

Uhh I don't know actually. Out of the ones already mentioned, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Halo are probably the only ones I've played in full. I can't really think of a series that I'm familiar with that hasn't let me down, if only slightly.

Crop
08-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Half-Life first comes to mind.

Dude, totally.

I retract my previous answer, Half Life is one.
I knew I still had faith in the gaming world.

Slothy
08-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Anything made by Valve as well as Starcraft. I can't really think of much else after mulling it over since yesterday. If Nintendo had stopped making games after the N64 I might be able to say things like Mario or Zelda, but those have kind of started :bou::bou::bou::bou:ting the bed starting with the Gamecube titles.

ljkkjlcm9
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Mario and Metroid mostly. Metroid Prime Hunters was crap, but I'm ignoring it completely. Mario games are always fun, the main ones anyways. I would say Zelda, but Spirit tracks sucked IMO. It was the first Zelda I had to force myself to complete.

Final Fantasy probably as well, though I haven't played through all of them. Essentially it just means there were games in the series that I liked (X for example) but didn't love and moved onto another game before beating it.

I enjoyed the Megaman Battle Network series. Fire Emblem, up until Radiant Dawn (was the first Fire Emblem where it felt worthless to train up the starting characters as they ended up worse than the later characters anyways). Advance Wars is a great series. Mario + Luigi series. Megaman Zero/ZX series are great too. God of War series is pretty good. Assassin's Creed, first wasn't outstanding but not bad either IMO, but the 2nd was awesome, and the next looks even better.

Half-Life is a good one people mentioned. Donkey Kong Country is another good one. No More Heroes was exactly on par with my expectations.

How could I forget.. MONSTER HUNTER.

There are a lot of series that I enjoy most of the games, with some bad eggs.

THE JACKEL

Polnareff
08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I forgot to mention Rival Schools, Darkstalkers, Mega Man Zero, and Monster Hunter. How the **** could I?

It's really messed up that a lot of consistently good series are from Capcom. :p

Old Manus
08-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Monkey Island http://dl.dropbox.com/u/729269/Emoticons/guybrushsword.gifMake that a smiley, or you'll be wearing my sword like a shish-kebab :cool:

Levian
08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Silent Hill hasn't disappointed you? Some of them have been lackluster recently.

-4 was great
-Origins was good although it had too many respawning monsters. The mental asylum was huge and one of the best areas in Silent Hill altogether imo.
-5 was disappointing at first, but it grew on me, and it has a couple of Silent Hill's most spine-chilling moments as well.
-Shattered Memories was awesome again. I love the concept of not fighting monsters at all. It's why Clock Tower is one of my favorite games.

That leaves the first three games, which are pretty much universally agreed on to be great games, and it's something I agree with as well.

So, nope! it hasn't disappointed me. :D

Dreddz
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
-4 was great

Thank god I'm not alone on that one. SH4 is my second favourite in the series, behind SH2.

black orb
08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
>>> Suikoden, Disgaea, Guilty Gear..:luca:

evernic
08-31-2010, 02:42 AM
of course FF

Bolivar
08-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Definitely FF. It kinda sucks that there's nothing to do in FFXIII except battle, but the game has a great score, many character archs throughout its story, breathtaking visuals, and a next-gen battle system.

Metal Gear Solid is obviously up there as well. Every game has been nothing short of a masterpiece, up to and including the recent release of Peace Walker on the PSP. Portable Ops was definitely at least one step below, but that was not directed by Hideo Kojima so I refuse to acknowledge it, despite its canonical status :P

God of War is another, I feel every entry has gotten better and better, and even Chains of Olympus on the PSP was pretty impressive as far as cinematic action-adventure titles go on a handheld. GoWIII had arguably the best opening play sequence to any video game, period, and although the ending was not as stellar as the other high points, it still had so much throughout to really distinguish it as an artistic achievement in video games.

The Team Ico games, if they are sequential in some way, are classics as well.

The Uncharted series is only 2 games, but I've seen people listing KoTor and Mass Effect, so screw it... Although the first one seems dated for the mere fact that the second game is one of the best action/puzzle/platformers ever made, it's still a great game as well, and even though it was made in 2007 as a first-generation PS3 game, it's still one of the best looking games this generation and nearly 3 years later has yet to be visually topped by anything the PS3's competitors.

I guess Motorstorm may as well be placed in the same category as well.

I would say the main GTA games since III, which has arguably been a new series, but I can't vouch for I or II or the London/whatever expansion so maybe that should be left out?

So yeah, there's actually a lot for me, even (and maybe especially) this generation, I'm sure I could think of others if I had the time...

black orb
08-31-2010, 03:55 AM
>>> Im surprised how many people mentioned FF.. Im a die hard fan and I still love the series but some people have to admit that FF13 is the truly disappointment of the whole series..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2010, 04:43 AM
I'm skipping series that only have two entries cause it just seems kinda silly to say these two games that came out recently are awesome while a series that been going on for 20+ years gets the shaft cause its had more opportunities to fail.

Breath of Fire oddly enough, I love the major black sheep in the series (BoFV) and the only entry I feel is weak is the first entry and even then it seems rather unfair to judge it so harshly. I still like the game, its just not as awesome as its sequels.

I'd say Suikoden as well though I have yet to play the DS entry so this might change.

Street Fighter is up there, I haven't really played a terrible entry (buggy and archaic yes, but not actually bad) but to be fair fighting games tend to be the type of genre where if you like one entry in the series you tend to like the whole series, mostly cause sequels tend to only offer subtle enhancements that hardcore players will notice.

MGS is another great series, I know I've bitched and moaned about MGS4 downplaying stealth for more third person element but it doesn't mean I didn't like the game or thought it was terrible.

Persona has become this, yes most fans can't stomach the first entries and prefer the high school sim entries, but I really do like the whole series. Persona 1's story plays like a an old B-Movie that is so bad its good in just how ridiculous it is, P2 did an excellent job of balancing legitimate creepiness and scares with some campy elements on the side. Even P3 and P4 hold onto the campy aspect though its downplayed in favor of anime high school hi-jinks. Still, I really don't believe there is a bad entry in the series yet. Let's hope P5 keeps up the good work and even more, let's pray Atlus will do a PSP port of both P2 games. ;)

VeloZer0
08-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Persona has become this, yes most fans can't stomach the first entries and prefer the high school sim entries,
Orly? I tried playing P4 and found the high school sim elements made it unplayable. Maybe I should give P1 & 2 a look.

Raistlin
08-31-2010, 04:50 AM
Suikoden, easily. Other than that... maybe Metal Gear Solid.

Raven Nox
08-31-2010, 06:31 AM
My first thought when I read the title was Suikoden, so I'm going with that. No other name really comes to mind. While I enjoy most of the FF titles now there was a time where I hated FF8, and only began to like it later, so I can't really say it's never let me down.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Persona has become this, yes most fans can't stomach the first entries and prefer the high school sim entries,Orly? I tried playing P4 and found the high school sim elements made it unplayable. Maybe I should give P1 & 2 a look.

That's why I said fans and you've said before you prefer your games to be serious in terms of story as well as gameplay :p

Personally I like P3 more than P4 cause P4 has balancing issues in terms of the high school sim vs. dungeon crawling. P3 was far more flexible and generous with resources so you could play with the fusion system more unlike P4 where you'll be maxing out the part time jobs first and grinding for money cause the game is frugal about giving the player anything.

P1 is old school RPG and has a rather complicated elemental weakness system. When I say old school I need to specify, it may be a PS1 game but its design is more akin to first person dungeon crawlers (with a more PS1 battle RPG battle system) and its plot is downright ridiculous, though the alternate Snow Queen quest is a bit more serious and horror genre like.

P2 has a much better battle system that's pretty similar to Breath of Fire IV's combo attack system. Skills can be combined to make new or bigger attacks and its all based on the order the skills are cast in. The cool part is that you can actually change the parties order to accommodate for slow characters but what this does is make the party unable to move until this slow character gets his natural turn. Meaning you have to be really careful on how you set-up your party and sometimes have to factor in the risk of letting bosses get the first strike in a battle in exchange for pulling off a super powerful Quintet Combo attack over using smaller combos to keep your healer free to heal. it also has P1's complicated elemental weakness system, throw in it has one of the more serious stories in the series once you get to P2: Eternal Punishment.

Madame Adequate
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Now that Case Zero has made it a series, I can safely include Dead Rising here.

Shiny
08-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Mass Effect, but they've only had two games so far. I wanna say Splinter Cell series, but the last installment left something to be desired. I can't see how it took them that long to make a short game even with co-op.

Nifleheim7
08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Team Ico games (not exactly a series but oh well:p)

Resident Evil

Gran Turismo

Uncharted (too early to consider it a series but so far both games are amazing)

Many other game series that i love or used to love,have at least one flawed game in their history.

Pete for President
09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
I'd like to add Ace Combat. Every installment is just solid.

And I agree on MGS. Even though MGS2 seems a bit sketchy to me, I do get a certain vibe from it when I think about it, and that's a good thing.

Goldenboko
09-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Halo.

Loony BoB
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM
The (numbered - in other words, RTS) Warcraft series.
The Civilization series.
The Uncharted series (all two games!).

Spuuky
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Here you go:

Dragon Quest
Gothic (although this is about to end, when Gothic 4 is released by a different developer)

Yeah, that's pretty much it for "series" with more than two games, unless you want to talk about old series that died long ago.

Rocket Edge
09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I'd love to say Final Fantasy but after XIII I just dunno. I thought Square has a near flawless track record up until then.
Same. Final Fantasy is the closest series to attain a perfect record for me, regardless of how horrendously bad XIII was.

I'm trying to think of a series I play often but each has had their flaws. Tekken was great throughout apart from 4. Syphon Filter was awesome on the PS1 but when it moved to the PS2 platform it blew.

I guess you could say Kingdom Hearts? I liked 1 & 2.

Carnage-
09-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog.
Got you all there, didn't I?

Skyblade
09-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Golden Sun. Pretty much the only one.

I haven't played Chrono Cross, so I can't add that series to the list.

Mass Effect is a close runner up, but ME2 did definitely have a couple disappointments, even if it was overall awesomeness incarnated.

Metroid would have been on this list, but Other M took it out of the running.

And Zelda got knocked out by Phantom Hourglass.

Depression Moon
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I guess Mario for me. I haven't played enough of other series to have an opinion on those. Oh wait I have played every iteration of Tekken and I liked all of them, but I am getting tired of the series, so I don't know.

Proxy
09-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Kingdom Hearts. Funny thing, I was saying to my wife earlier this night, Kingdom Hearts series is, to me a damn near perfect gaming experience. I can never get tired of playing them.
The MGS series is pretty solid, Final Fantasy is good except for them calling XI and XIV part of the numbered series, instead of just online.
The tactics series has sold me. Advanced and A2 were trying to get into, but once I did, I really enjoyed playing them.
And ofcourse there is the Legend of Zelda series, which in my opinion hasn't had a bad game.

Rase
09-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Duke Nukem.

Jessweeee♪
09-08-2010, 06:25 AM
>>> Im surprised how many people mentioned FF.. Im a die hard fan and I still love the series but some people have to admit that FF13 is the truly disappointment of the whole series..:luca:

It's not a disappointment if it's everything you've wanted in a Final Fantasy game. To me it's the best yet! Some people like blueberries and hate raspberries and some vice versa. It never let me down, but seeing as there are many elements to it that just aren't very popular it's only natural that some are going to be disappointed.

Meat Puppet
09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
See

Halo Wars
GTA: VCS
L4D2 (Australian version)

Yes, it’s not Valve’s fault that they had to censor L4D2 in Australia, but I think they handled it like pussies. IMO they should have said smurf you Australian censorship board and just not released the game there at all. Then people would be even more angry at the censorship board. The cool people would still play L4D2, because they would import it from NZ just like champions like myself did.
Or at least given those poor Australians extra weapons, like they did to Germans. Does Robin Walker have no influence in that company?!