PDA

View Full Version : Pubic Drinking Fountains

Peegee
08-30-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d683697a9f.jpg

The above is like, an unscientific result - they swabbed some dog water dish (left) and on the right they swabbed a public drinking fountain.

What this means is that if you lick a regularly washed dog water dish , you will have less germs than if you licked the surface of the basin of a water fountain.

I don't know about you, but after seeing this picture, I will no longer lick the surface of the water fountain.

Do you ever lick the surface of water fountains? If you do, how does the results of this scientific experiment change your mind, if at all?

Jiro
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't lick the water fountain so it doesn't really affect me. But I suppose if I did then I obviously wouldn't give a :bou::bou::bou::bou: about this UNSCIENTIFIC EXPERIEMENT because I'd be too busy licking other public goods.

Bunny
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Finally, some science I can get behind.

Peegee
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't lick the water fountain so it doesn't really affect me. But I suppose if I did then I obviously wouldn't give a desu about this UNSCIENTIFIC EXPERIEMENT because I'd be too busy licking other public goods.

But the newspaper did the experiment! So it must be true because they reported it right?

I wonder how people who are microphobic deal with being awake?

Pheesh
08-30-2010, 04:02 PM
My dog and I have always shared our meals, I suggest you all start doing the same.

Shoeberto
08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I haven't put my mouth directly on a water fountain since I was like, three, and didn't know any better.

Old Manus
08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
:|

Agent Proto
08-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Why would anyone lick directly off a water fountain?

Peegee
08-30-2010, 05:28 PM

Dunno, but since they swabbed the water fountain, they must've assumed that comparing a dog dish surface and the drinking fountain surface is relevant to something?

Raistlin
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Let that be a warning to people who lick water fountains. I know you people are out there somewhere, Baloki.

Madame Adequate
08-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Number of germs alone is hardly the only issue here. A million harmless germs are, well, harmless, but a single Dog AIDS germ (I know but you know what my point is aherpaderp) is a big deal.

Raistlin
08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
That is a straw<i></i>man because Dog AIDS are only transferable through blood. Duh.

Ouch!
08-30-2010, 06:55 PM
"Damn, nothing worth reporting happened this week. What do we do?!"
"Scare the crap out of people with irrelevant pseudoscience!"

iced_saltine
08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
does anybody else see the typo in the thread title?

edit: in any case, i was expecting this topic to be about something way different XD

Clo
08-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I tend to not drink from water fountains because I prefer water ice cold and not bath water warm.

Levian
08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
might be because a dog's dish is used by one dog and a public drinking fountain is used by hundreds of people. It can also be because a drinking fountain is outside while a dog's dish usually isn't. I don't know where this dish in question was anyway.

I think I'd probably just buy a bottle of water. :p

Peegee
08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
might be because a dog's dish is used by one dog and a public drinking fountain is used by hundreds of people. It can also be because a drinking fountain is outside while a dog's dish usually isn't. I don't know where this dish in question was anyway.

I was waiting for one of you jerks to say that. Did you know we pay tax dollars for cleaned water to come out of our taps? I drink tap water almost exclusively except when I need to drink a new bottle of water for the (relatively) cheap bottle.

What do you mean I can buy a bottle from walmart for cheap? I don't wanna! I use it for my brotein!

Levian
08-30-2010, 11:59 PM

I was waiting for one of you jerks to say that. Did you know we pay tax dollars for cleaned water to come out of our taps? I drink tap water almost exclusively except when I need to drink a new bottle of water for the (relatively) cheap bottle.

You never have to choose between a water fountain and tap, though. One is only available in public and the other is only available at home.

Or are you referring to the fountain as tap? I was of the impression that the bacterias came from the amount of people using it, hence the comparison to dogs supposedly being cleaner than us. But what do I know! and what do the people behind this test know! :D

Raistlin
08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I was of the impression that the bacterias came from the amount of people using it, hence the comparison to dogs supposedly being cleaner than us. But what do I know! and what do the people behind this test know! :D

The test looked at the amount of bacteria which would grow in a swab of the sink in a water fountain. Unless you lick the fountain itself, you are not being exposed to that bacteria. A much more relevant test would be looking at the water itself as it comes out of the fountain.

As is, it's just more pointless fear mongering to get some attention.

Meat Puppet
08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Strange. I did a similar experiment several times in high school, and never got results like that. I guess our microorganisms are camera shy, or something.

Shlup
08-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Contrary to what some people will have you believe, I do not lick anything that involves the word "public."

Raistlin
08-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I guess that's supposed to spark the predictable semantic argument about the difference between the words "lick" and "suck." Have it your way, Mr. Clinton.

rubah
08-31-2010, 02:55 AM
I never lick the basins of drinking fountains. I always fill my bottles up from the spout!

That's so gross. The water that runs into the fountain is ported off to a sewage line. The stuff that comes out the tap is clean, freshly filtered from the city water supply. Rye can tell you about how clean NYC water is. Bottled water... yeeech. Who performs quality control on that stuff? Someone that wants sales to be high, I assure you.

I tend to not drink from water fountains because I prefer water ice cold and not bath water warm.
Allow it to run a few minutes to get the warm water out of the line, and the condenser unit should kick in. It doesn't stay warm very long!

DMKA
08-31-2010, 03:00 AM
I found a LiveJournal years ago dedicated to a water fountain/public faucet licking fetish. :(

I have not and would not ever do such a thing.

Marshall Banana
08-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Don't you guys remember high school? People put their mouths right up against where the water comes out.

And at my high school there was, also, often tobacco-spit in the fountains. Not very refreshing to see.

DMKA
08-31-2010, 03:34 AM
Don't you guys remember high school? People put their mouths right up against where the water comes out.
Only the special ed kids did that at my high school.

fire_of_avalon
08-31-2010, 03:52 AM
This thread reminded me of the best water fountain ever. In fifth grade, all the fifth grade classes were in a separate building that used to be the high school science labs. There was one water fountain and it was amazingly cold. Jesus I loved that fountain. I almost want to go back to that building right now to drink from it, because the water was so good.

I don't drink from many public fountains because I am really picky about my water and I hate any water treated with chlorine.

Jiro
08-31-2010, 04:21 AM
Contrary to what some people will have you believe, I do not lick anything that involves the word "public."

That statement becomes invalid once you realise it said pubic. You so do.

rubah
08-31-2010, 06:41 AM
This thread reminded me of the best water fountain ever. In fifth grade, all the fifth grade classes were in a separate building that used to be the high school science labs. There was one water fountain and it was amazingly cold. Jesus I loved that fountain. I almost want to go back to that building right now to drink from it, because the water was so good.

I don't drink from many public fountains because I am really picky about my water and I hate any water treated with chlorine.

... what do you drink then?

Pheesh
08-31-2010, 06:43 AM
I thought they were for washing your feet O_O

Rodarian
08-31-2010, 08:23 AM

This.

Peegee
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

That statement becomes invalid once you realise it said pubic. You so do.

This. I have no idea what the hell you people are talking about in this thread.

Mo-Nercy
08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Sometimes when filling up my water bottle, the bottle has to make contact with the surface of the basin. Although I don't lick the outside of my bottles, it's still pretty icky to think of the germs that may be on it.

Peegee
08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Sometimes when filling up my water bottle, the bottle has to make contact with the surface of the basin. Although I don't lick the outside of my bottles, it's still pretty icky to think of the germs that may be on it.

I really want to visit Australia now

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2010, 03:17 AM

... what do you drink then?
We have spring water at our house. I fill bottles and take them with me.

When I no longer live in a house with a natural spring, I'll probably just die. There is no substitute for natural spring water. I love living in the backwoods. :D

rubah
09-01-2010, 03:53 AM
you get used to it :cry:

I remember when we still had well water. It went dry a few summers and we had to be careful it didn't freeze in the winter.

Peegee
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
We constantly have this argument at work. I try to maintain that water bottle standards are actually lower than that of tap water, and so it's better to drink tap water.

Plus any impurities in your tap can be filtered out by your run-of-the-mill water filter.

theundeadhero
09-02-2010, 05:20 AM
It tastes just like every other pubic fountain you've ever licked, sicko.

Rodarian
09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I've seen a few people drink directly onto the fountain head...Now that's gross XP

Peegee
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Why would you do that, Munty ><

Otis_Glicker
09-06-2010, 01:03 AM
I finally understand why my mouth tastes so gross after licking the basin of a public drinking fountain. I need to get a friend with a dog so I may lick his dog dish.

black orb
09-06-2010, 01:15 AM
>>> Public drinking fountains? I thought those things didnt exist anymore..:luca:

Otis_Glicker
09-06-2010, 07:46 AM
>>> Public drinking fountains? I thought those things didnt exist anymore..:luca:
Well according to your About Me, you DO live under a rock. :p

black orb
09-06-2010, 05:12 PM
>>> Well yeah, my rock is located thousands of kilometers away from yours, so I guess we dont have drinking fountains here..:luca:

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I was avoiding this thread because I use public drinking fountains and then I forgot and clicked it and :(

~*~Celes~*~
09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Okay who changed the thread title? That seriously grossed me out :colbert:

Levian
09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I was certain that some hilarious staff member had changed the thread title, but after checking the log I see it actually hasn't been changed since the thread was made. huh!

Rye
09-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a hairy situation.

~*~Celes~*~
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I :lol:'d.

On the subject, it's not often I actually use drinking fountains. I did at school during band camp but that's about it.

rubah
09-06-2010, 09:42 PM
The Story of Bottled Water (http://storyofstuff.org/bottledwater/) relevant~

Shorty
09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, every time I see the title of this thread in GC, I get grossed out.

I don't use drinking fountains here because the water comes out at 100 degrees and tastes like iron (blood).

Peegee
09-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Why would you get grossed out? You use water fountains all the time.

Dignified Pauper
09-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Rubah and the OP are both providing information that is interesting AND informative.

nik0tine
09-12-2010, 02:04 AM
In preschool they taught us not to lick public water fountains.

Otis_Glicker
09-12-2010, 08:03 AM
In preschool they taught us not to lick public water fountains.

It's pretty sad that they would have to do that.

theundeadhero
09-14-2010, 03:19 AM
What's even more sad is that after 13 years of school people still can't figure out not to lick the water fountain.