PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in New Zealand

Peegee
09-03-2010, 09:13 PM
http://i52.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2rxcqye.gif

It shows up with the name of the town obscured, but if you right click -> view image...

anyway when I found out about the earthquake I thought about Big D. Then I checked his fb page later today and found he lives right by (about 18 mi) from the earthquake zone.

So um topic - anybody know if he's okay and general natural disaster discussions go here.

NorthernChaosGod
09-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I live in California, we get quakes all the time. There was a pretty big one over Easter, it was fun.

Clo
09-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Ah, I hope he's okay!

I live in WNY, we don't have earthquakes here. There was a small one over the summer and it BLEW MY MIND. I was sitting on a bed reading, and then the room started shaking. I jumped up all ninja-style and went through a series of possibilities before I realized it was a fucking earthquake (one possibility: psycho under the bed).

Madame Adequate
09-03-2010, 11:54 PM
News is reporting that casualties have been very low; only two seriously injured, no deaths confirmed so far. Hopefully our chap is okay.

Shlup
09-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Pfft, I sleep through 7.0 quakes.

Madame Adequate
09-04-2010, 12:01 AM
That's because 7.0 quakes happen when you fall out of bed.

(am i doin it rite wes?)

Shlup
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I had to read that like three times to figure out it was a fat joke instead of the usual old joke.

YOUR GIRLFRIEND LIVES TOO FAR AWAY FOR YOU TO TOUCH AND BY THE TIME YOU CAN AFFORD TO MOVE TO WHERE SHE IS SHE'LL HAVE GOTTEN BORED OF YOU ANYWAY.

Also, your dissertation entirely lacks insight. It's like reading a cell phone manual.

Clo
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
YOUR GIRLFRIEND LIVES TOO FAR AWAY FOR YOU TO TOUCH AND BY THE TIME YOU CAN AFFORD TO MOVE TO WHERE SHE IS SHE'LL HAVE GOTTEN BORED OF YOU ANYWAY.

Ahahaha. Awesome.

Raistlin
09-04-2010, 12:19 AM
That's because 7.0 quakes happen when you fall out of bed.

I had to read that like three times to figure out it was a fat joke instead of the usual old joke.

Seriously? It was a blatant fat joke. Go take your meds, granny.

Madame Adequate
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM

Also, your dissertation entirely lacks insight. It's like reading a cell phone manual.

Oh ShlupQuack. Never change :kaolove:

Rye
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM

Ahahaha. Awesome.

:|

Psychotic
09-04-2010, 12:25 AM
shlupquack more like flabquack

(am i doin it rite wes?)

Chris
09-04-2010, 12:33 AM

Could you be any cuter? ^_______^

Bunny
09-04-2010, 12:49 AM

So I get in trouble for calling people dicks and comparing their intelligence to different fruits but you can attack a well-established member's personal life and his relationship with a well-liked member of the staff?

I am starting to get this whole forum thing.

Shlup
09-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Finally you catch on.

Anyway, back to the actual topic of the thread.

So, 7.0 earthquakes are only a big deal if it's a third world country. Big D is fine.

Bunny
09-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Can I have an official title so I can make fun of people with a purpose? Cid's Jester would be perfect. Or Cid's Jackass. It's really up to you!

My older brother can sleep through California earthquakes. I'm too light of a sleeper for that :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Shorty
09-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Utah is long overdue for a massive earthquake. (http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-10282-utah-schools-vs-earthquakes.html)

I've been told this as long as I can remember. I used to live directly on the fault line - if any sort of quake were to happen, it would leave the entire valley in complete devastation.

They keep telling us it's overdue and that it's coming. I'm half of a mind that it's Y2K all over again, and then half of a mind that it will be like the Haitian quake.

Sidenote: I've never actually been in an earthquake.

NorthernChaosGod
09-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I used to sleep through earthquakes all the time. The Easter earthquake was a 7.2, I thought i had just gotten drunk earlier than expected. If it had been at night, I definitely wouldn't have woken up because of it.

Peegee
09-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Biggie P confirmed he's alive (and that's he's okay!)

So I'm going to say that I've sat right in the middle of a 5.0 earthquake and didn't even know it happened. It's funny cuz the lady who was 7 feet away from me felt it but I had no idea it happened.

~*~Celes~*~
09-04-2010, 05:31 AM
i have felt the miniscule earthquakes that we get. they always surprise me.

Mo-Nercy
09-04-2010, 12:59 PM
No natural disaster experiences to report for me. Great to hear that the good people of Christchurch are mostly a-okay.

I remember some scientist getting on the news last year saying Australia was overdue for a volcanic eruption (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/21/2692160.htm). I'm pretty sure everyone just laughed though, because no one believes it'll happen. And earlier this year a precautionary tsunami warning (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/28/2832179.htm) was issued to residents of various towns along the east coast. Again, nobody really cared. I have a friend who went to the beach to check it out.

We're a pretty stupid laid-back country.

Logie
09-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow, I didn't expect to find a topic about this here. :)
I actually found out about the earthquake through an american musician I follow on Facebook. It's crazy how little national coverage there was this morning.

Proxy
09-04-2010, 02:08 PM
"Where are you from?"
"Ohio. You?"
"New Zealand"
"Oh...what's shakin'?"

Peegee
09-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I actually found out about the earthquake through an american musician I follow on Facebook. It's crazy how little national coverage there was this morning.

They don't need massive amounts of foreign help. Places like China, India, Haiti, and Venezuela do =)

TheGlassesGirl
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
"Where are you from?"
"Ohio. You?"
"New Zealand"
"Oh...what's shakin'?"
I lol'd. :D

Old Manus
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm confident he'll return in a few weeks with a few bumps and bruises, but no big deal.

Logie
09-04-2010, 10:22 PM

They don't need massive amounts of foreign help. Places like China, India, Haiti, and Venezuela do =)

Yeah. :) But because we're such a small country (where everything is 10x as significant as in bigger countries :p) and earthquakes of that magnitude very rarely happen here, I expected far more coverage.

gothicage
09-05-2010, 04:41 AM
im happy i live in auckland... but man i have lots of friends down there :( i hope their ok

Pheesh
09-05-2010, 05:36 AM
No earthquakes where I live, there was one a decent sized one a little further inland earlier this year, but even that isn't a common occurrence. Our country is pretty cool and doesn't afraid of anything.

Big D
09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi guys!

Alive and well here, thanks for your concern :D
This earthquake was comparable in strength to the one that hit Haiti recently, but we've come out reasonably well thanks to a combination of good building codes, excellent emergency response and sheer good luck.

They're still restoring water and sanitation of parts of the affected area; while my water supply's still working, I've got to boil drinking water because of possible contamination from the damaged sewers.

Also, the central business district is off-limits because of all the historic brick buildings that've come down. I work in the CBD, so I'm stuck at home until further notice.

Still, it's prompted me to finally stop being lazy and get back onto EoFF :p

Selection of photos here:
Christchurch earthquake photos (http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/index.html)

Rye
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Big D! ♥

Raistlin
09-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Wow, that's pretty intense. Worse than I expected after the lack of deaths reported.

Madame Adequate
09-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Glad you're well old chap!

That is one hell of a mess you've got on your hands now though.

Mo-Nercy
09-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Woo, he's alive!

Peegee
09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
yay I casted a summoning spell that worked! Next up: Burtspurt!