PDA

View Full Version : Oh, you cheating smurfing bastard!

G13
09-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Who here is as addicted to getting Achievements as I am? Same goes for Trophies. What's the toughest one/ones you've ever gotten?

Neighborhood Watch on The Orange Box was the cheapest thing I've ever had to do in a game. Save all the buildings outside the silo from destruction. Probably wouldn't be that hard if I attempted it again but at the time it was really tough.

A couple of the skulls in Halo 3 were real bitches to get too.

Your turn. Gogogo!

NorthernChaosGod
09-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Lolol. I try not to worry about achievements unless they actually serve some sort of purpose, like unlocks and the like. Sometimes I can't help myself though and I do whore out for them. D:

G13
09-04-2010, 06:50 AM
I get mine legit like. It adds to the fun and replay value of the game.

NorthernChaosGod
09-04-2010, 06:54 AM
I do them myself, I just mean that I actually attempt getting them for the purpose of getting them. xD

Proxy
09-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Probably doing Resident Evil 5 of Professional, solo. That was a pain. And Legendary Halo 3...Although not difficult over-all, but the stage Cortana is smurfing impossible to do solo.
Other than that, I don't usually find doing achievements to be that difficult, I enjoy doing them, for the most part.

Levian
09-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I like completing games 100%, so getting the trophies is a natural way to get there. I'm not a trophy whore in the way that I will play a game just to get trophies however :p Trophies always comes second to gameplay and having fun.

my proudest trophies would probably be for Megaman 10, even though I only have about half of them. Now those trophies are actually hard. One of the trophies is never being hit a single time throughout the entire game. That's insane! and what's even more insane is that it's a silver trophy and not a gold one.

Mo-Nercy
09-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I ignore them for the most part. As a result, I average about 5 trophies for each game I have.

Slothy
09-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I hate achievements. Absolutely despise them in fact. If anyone has ever seen the article regarding achievements from sirlin.net, it sums up my thoughts pretty well. Achievements won't make a bad game good and they won't make a great game any better, but they certainly will keep those who are addicted to the feeling of accomplishment from getting them playing long after the fun has stopped.

The only game I've ever actually gotten 100% of them in was Uncharted 2, and that was mostly because it was such an awesome game that I played through it three or four times in a few weeks and happened to get all but one or two. At that point I just sort of said "why not?" and grinded for them but it was such an utterly boring experience that it actually made me love playing the game a little less by the time I finished. I wasn't sold on achievements before that and after the realization that getting them all made Uncharted 2 less fun I said to hell with them after that. Now I just play my damn games and what happens happens. I find grinding for these things about as much fun as fetch questing.

Psychotic
09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
MUST. GET. SHINY. ACHIEVEMENT. GAAAAAAAH.

Although to be honest I look at a lot of achievements and think "fuck that".

Dreddz
09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't particulary care for achievements/trophies. I find most of them monotonous to get. Really detracts from the fun for me but I understand why people get so obsessed with them. Plus the fact that most people on my friends list have trophy scores that blow right past mine it seems kind of pointless me getting into them now.

The only game I actually platinumed was Wipeout HD. That was mainly because I played the game alot rather than actually seeking out each trophy. Its kind of cool having it though as it is considered by some to be the hardest platinum trophy.

Depression Moon
09-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Are you sure the Orange Box has trophies. I don't recall ever seeing any? The only one that I made an attempt to get almost all of them was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I did platinum Tekken 6, but those trophies were beyond easy to get.

LunarWeaver
09-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't pay too much attention to them. There's always a few that look so boring to earn that I doubt I will ever get every achievement or a platinum trophy unless I'm playing something stupid. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender_%E2%80%93_The_Burning_Earth#cite_note-gametrailers.com-0)

G13
09-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Although to be honest I look at a lot of achievements and think "smurf that".

I think the same thing on a few but my habit of beating games 100% really nags at me to go for it.

Are you sure the Orange Box has trophies. I don't recall ever seeing any?

Naw, that was for 360, yo. :monster:

DMKA
09-05-2010, 04:39 AM
I...can't see the point in achievements. It seems so silly to me to get an achievement/trophy simply because it's listed as something to do so the console can tell you you did it.

NorthernChaosGod
09-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Sometimes the achievements provide unlocks, other times they are just stuff you would do normally anyway.

What really gets me is the stuff that you would only do because there is an achievement for it. Why the fuck would I want to get 100 kills with every weapon in Gears of War?

Iceglow
09-05-2010, 07:15 AM
The level Cortana in Halo 3 is not impossible alone on legendary, maybe with all skulls on I'd agree with you or even just blackout would make it nigh on impossible alone. However you do die a lot and learn a lot about what weapons to use and not use at different times. For example with flood it doesn't matter what guns you have so long as they have as much ammo as possible. I tend to aim for plasma rifles and swap the lowest charge one out every time theres another up for grabs. Keep pressing forwards and you can eventually win through. Also, against flood the hammer is far superior to the sword as far as melee weapons go, learning that has saved me from death so many times, the flood love to well flood you with too many numbers for survival purposes just hammering can push the crowd back and kill some. The first time I ran in to a level what required me to pause for a couple of weeks to figure out a way through was the Ark where I ended up with the two hunters as you work your way inwards and I was low on ammo and grenades, in the end however with some inspiration from how Psy tends to challenge them I won.

Hardest achievements I've gained? I didn't bother with Mile High Club on CoD 4 but I have every other achievement in that game, I could grind out the Mile High Club but well, for 20g is it really worth it? I also completed MW2 on Veteran too. These achievements are hard to get because CoD can be really tough especially if you make a mistake, on Veteran sometimes if you cock up slightly it's best to either die or re-load the check point to just correct it.

Crop
09-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah man, I'm a trophy feind. I have 6 plats atm and am close to my 7th and 8th.
I have a plat on:
Infamous, Fallout 3, CoD: WaW, Dead Space, Godfather 2 and Prince of Persia.

I do love dem trophies.

Proxy
09-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Hunters in Halo 3 are weak to plasma. I always just take the plasma turret on the ark and hammer them. usually they're both dead before it runs out of ammo.
protip.
and ps: thank you for the advice on that stage. i'll work on it tonight.

black orb
09-06-2010, 03:27 AM
>>> If the game is worth my time, yeah..:luca:

Shoeberto
09-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Sometimes, they're actually pretty fun challenges that I would've never thought of before (HL2 ep2, get the gnome on the rocket, as an example). For the most part, I just say fuck 'em. If I'm bored enough with a game that I want to kill 2,000 enemies with a pea shooter just to get a shiny little ding, I need to find something else to do.

G13
09-06-2010, 10:46 AM
HL2 ep2, get the gnome on the rocket, as an example

That was fun. I actually felt a little wrong finishing that episode without the little fella but it made me proud to think that with my help he was the first of his kind to make it to space.

Ouch!
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
The level Cortana in Halo 3 is not impossible alone on legendary, maybe with all skulls on I'd agree with you or even just blackout would make it nigh on impossible alone.
Cortana is actually very easy if you want it to be. There's invisibility hidden throughout the level; it's almost possible to get all the way to Cortana without engaging more than a handful Flood if you're quick and know where you're going. That didn't stop me from blasting through and killing every last Flood when I had seven skulls activated on solo legendary (famine was really the only one that made Cortana any more difficult than usual).

I'm not big on achievement whoring. I tend to go after them if I think they sound fun or if they have unlockables. I'm not big on any type of collection achievement, though. My roommates have huge hard-ons for achievements, though.