PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes

Raistlin
09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
So Friday morning Hurricane Earl blew by a couple hundred miles east of here. Here in south-eastern Virginia, there was widespread fear that we were going to get some of the edges of it (tropical storm winds upwards of 50 mph), but the results were rather underwhelming (http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/d9j2q/earls_aftermath/). Which surprised absolutely no one who actually looked at the weather reports instead of the local newshounds who apparently have stock in the water bottle industry.

My mom called me Wednesday asking me what my evacuation plans were. My only response: "seriously?"

Anyway, have you ever been in or near or a hurricane? They can certainly be quite scary and damaging if they actually come nearby, but I have managed to avoid getting hit by all but the edges of a couple.

Rye
09-04-2010, 11:59 PM
It didn't even RAIN here. And we were supposed to get hit really badly.

Long Island gets hit by hurricanes fairly often, but we almost never get any bad damage in my area. A few months ago it was quite bad though; a few people in the area died and tons of trees fell down.

Shlup
09-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Southern California gets touched by some hurricane rains fairly regularly. Nothing crazy.

When BJ and I were honeymooning in Jamaica it was hurricane season. I loved the warm tropical rain.

Every year the Santa Ana winds tear through my college campus. Most people get off school for "snow days," but we got off every January for "wind days" when the wind was over 70mph. It was fun! I'd go outside and jump during a gust, get carried a bit by the wind.

iced_saltine
09-05-2010, 12:16 AM
no hurricanes over here, i think the water's too cold...

the worst natural disaster i've ever had to deal with was a 6.8-ish earthquake
there are plenty of tsunami warnings too though.

fire_of_avalon
09-05-2010, 12:24 AM
When hurricane Isabel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Isabel) hit the Carolina coast in 2003 I was attending school about 200 miles inland. Our classes were canceled the afternoon of September 18th. I walked to town to buy some sushi in horizontal rain and wind gusts up to 60 mph.

I'm a bad ass. *flex*

Hurricane Ivan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ivan) though, was a super douche bag. Hurricane Frances came first and she was like MUH *rain* but Ivan built upon it and brought ridiculous heavy rains to the Asheville, NC area and caused massively huge flooding (compared to what we're used to.) Businesses that I'd driven passed a day before were completely under water. This article has links to a lot of photos. (http://m.citizentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990916085&theme=FLOODS)

Those are the only ones I can really remember. I know that hurricane Andrew gave us a lot of wind and rain, but not that kind of flooding.

ChickenHeart
09-05-2010, 12:28 AM
We don't get hurricanes here =(

fire_of_avalon
09-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Also:

http://cocktails-pro.com/images/cold_beverages/hurricane.jpg

Fujiko
09-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Nope.

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2010, 01:08 AM
That picture made me lol. xD

We're inland, so we don't have to worry about hurricanes, just the temperature fluctuation one might cause. Like now, for instance.
We still gotta worry about mothersmurfing tornadoes, though. :onoes:

NorthernChaosGod
09-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Southern California gets touched by some hurricane rains fairly regularly. Nothing crazy.

Yup, this.

Every year the Santa Ana winds tear through my college campus. Most people get off school for "snow days," but we got off every January for "wind days" when the wind was over 70mph. It was fun! I'd go outside and jump during a gust, get carried a bit by the wind.
I guess we don't get them that bad in San Diego, we never got off school for them.

Rodarian
09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
We were suppose to have gotten tropical storm Phet here a few months back....But all we got was one day of pounding rain..... Kinda wished it rained more....But we did get the most beautiful rainbow , that was seen by hundreds of folks in the DHA region.

Shlup
09-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Yup, this.

I guess we don't get them that bad in San Diego, we never got off school for them.

San Bernardino, right between the hills and the San Andreas fault line, it's like a crazy wind tunnel. We always got at least three wind days after Christmas break. Good times.

It snowed once. Took me four hours to get to work that day; the like 0.03 inch of snow freaked us out that much.

black orb
09-05-2010, 09:56 PM
have you ever been in or near or a hurricane?
>>> Never, I just have seen them on tv..:luca:

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2010, 09:57 PM
It snowed once. Took me four hours to get to work that day; the like 0.03 inch of snow freaked us out that much.
Snow! I laugh in it's face!

The most we've had in the 8 years I've lived here was about 4 feet of it, and I was still all, "Meh, I could probably still shovel it before more of it comes."

NorthernChaosGod
09-06-2010, 03:28 AM
San Bernardino, right between the hills and the San Andreas fault line, it's like a crazy wind tunnel. We always got at least three wind days after Christmas break. Good times.

Oh, well that makes sense then. That sounds pretty epic.

Lolol. It's snowed down here before, but I think it always melts before actually touching the ground. Or right as it touches the ground, I forget.

Brennan
09-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Living in Louisiana, I have to deal with a hurricane every now and then, but it never was too serious in my area.

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2010, 04:12 AM
I've had to evacuate a few times, but my town was never hit with one in the time that I lived there. I recently moved to hurricane magnet Florida though, so that may change.

Ouch!
09-06-2010, 04:27 AM
It's great. To be. A Mi-am-i Hurri--oh wait.

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Have you ever seen that episode of King of the Hill where everyone is like "OH GOD WHAT IS THIS WHITE STUFF FALLING FROM THE SKY GET IN THE HOUSE OH GOD"? Well it snowed in Corpus Christi a few years ago and it was just like that. We had lived in Illinois before then so we were like "wtf STOP DRIVING SLOW WE WANT TO GO HOME"

The cool part was it was Christmas Eve and it melted after Christmas xD

Linus
09-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I like hurricanes.

See you next year!

Peegee
09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm wondering whether California ever gets random tremors during low level 'windy days' / hurricanes....

There's no risk of any real hurricanes around here, but we did get a hurricane up north a little bit a few months ago. Everything was trashed.

http://i51.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/291hk6p.jpg

In Hong Kong whenever there's Hurricane warnings I lol and go outside to play. I'm never afraid of hurricanes, and it's only luck that Tornadoes do not exist in Ontario - I'd probably end up driving up to one to touch it.