PDA

View Full Version : How do you walk around when you level?

VeloZer0
09-06-2010, 04:13 PM
How do you walk back and forth to level in games with random encounters? I was playing FF3 yesterday when I realized regardless of the game I just about always end up in a space where I can track back and forth horizontally across the screen.

As I am sure no-one has ever done only one thing for their lives answer which one you do primarily.

Rantz
09-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Out of the options it tends to be circles mostly, although what I think I do most of all is run along edges. Mountains, walls, forests, or the edges of whatever terrain I'm grinding on.

black orb
09-06-2010, 04:52 PM
>>> Circles..:luca:

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Depends on the controls. If I have a good analog stik, I go in circles unless the game wasn't built to register them otherwise I just run back and forth in a vertical or horizontal line. In games with good analog controls and loose random encounter tile programs, I'll try to turn so precisely that the character never moves from the spot and instead is just spinning in circles. If the game has a rotational camera I'll also spin it while I'm moving to create the impression of real movement.

Chloe.
09-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I usually go either in circles or back and forth horizontally, I think :jess: That or I just run around randomly.

|-THE redmage-|
09-06-2010, 06:24 PM
A lot of times, I find myself doing figure 8's

VeloZer0
09-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Interesting, I didn't even think of analog vs d-pad when I made this thread. I kind of forgot about analog as I use the D-pad even in FF13.

I find that moving my thumb side to side requires a lot smaller muscle movements than moving my thumb vertically. That and the fact that I am usually daydreaming/watching TV when I grind so as simple a pattern as possible is best.

That and when I frame skip level I usually hold down the confirm button as I walk, so if I don't let off before the battle starts I might go into a sub-menu I have to cancel out of, whereas side to side will just do a row change or defend. Much less hassle. Guess I just got into the habit.

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I go in circles for a little while, then I get bored and make a game out of how many patterns I can make.

Mirage
09-06-2010, 09:03 PM
This poll is terrible because it varies depending on if the game is in 2D or 3D.

On 2D world maps, I walk horizontally or vertically, depending on what the area is shaped like. I choose what requires me to switch directions least often.

On 3D maps, I walk in circles.

blackmage_nuke
09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I walk horizontally on 2d games and in circles in 3d games.

Depression Moon
09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Randomly, but not too far away from an airship or boat if I have one.

Levian
09-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I walk horizontally on 2d games and in circles in 3d games.

Pretty much!

Shorty
09-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Randomly, but not too far away from an airship or boat if I have one.

This! If I wander too far, I feel like it might leave without me. :(

VeloZer0
09-07-2010, 04:57 AM
If I wander too far, I feel like it might leave without me.

:lol: I can totally see that happening in the old school super unfair NES FF1.

Logie
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Out of the options it tends to be circles mostly, although what I think I do most of all is run along edges. Mountains, walls, forests, or the edges of whatever terrain I'm grinding on.

Same with me! I get almost obsessive-compulsive about it at times. :spin:

Mo-Nercy
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Anything goes!

Sometimes I trace the edge of the forest, sometimes I push up against the edges of rivers and mountains, sometimes I do figure-eights, sometimes I run circles, squares or rectangles.

The only one I wouldn't do is horizontal or vertical back and forth with the analog stick.

razorrozar7
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Usually when I'm grinding I'm also trying to go somewhere, so I end up doing a long series of loop-the-loops between my starting point and my destination.

Freya
09-10-2010, 06:16 AM
CIRCLES! Circle, circle, dot, dot, now I got my monster cootie shot! :D

Saber
09-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Squares Circles

razorrozar7
09-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, what I said above doesn't apply with Pokemon. There, I usually run around the edges of the grassy areas in my location.

Wolfen
09-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Real FF players don't need to walk around and level. ;)

(I normally level automatically while I'm exploring. I explore a lot, and sometimes when I get into a battle I forget where I'm going and walk back to the beginning by accident.)

Rase
09-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Circles in 3D games, squares in 2D ones. Getting in the rhythm of hitting each direction once is nice.