PDA

View Full Version : My laptop will not shut down.

Jessweeee♪
09-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Well sometimes it will. See the problem is, 90% of the time when I hit "Shut Down" it behaves as if I hit "Restart". The same happens when I hit "Sleep". At first I thought it had decided to install updates when I wasn't looking, but I know for sure this is not the case.

This could be related to a problem I was having earlier. I decided to restore my computer to factory settings, and afterwards whenever I hit "Sleep" BAM instant unexpected shutdown. I didn't enjoy being prompted to start in Safe Mode every time I told my laptop to take a nap, so I checked my updates. Since my laptop is back to how it was three years ago, it doesn't have any of the important updates Microsoft released since then. I installed Windows Service Pack 2 and the problem was resolved.

My laptop has very very poor ventilation, so it heats up quickly. I'd like to solve this problem as quickly as possible so I can at least let it Sleep. Google turns up nothing but "maybe updates".

oddler
09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Fuck Windows updates. Because of Windows XP Service Pack 3, I can't try the Open Beta for FFXIV. When I try to download the service pack update and restart, it'll continously boot in an endless loop (which according to the research I've done is a very widespread problem caused by differences in processors). I think I'll end up trying to swap out my video card on my laptop to play even though it makes me nervous opening up my computer like that. :mad:

I'd say compatibility between updates and hardware is the problem but I'm no computer wiz. xD

Jessweeee♪
09-07-2010, 01:26 AM
The only thing that's different on my computer now compared to when this wasn't happening is the FFXIV beta and a Windows update that fixed a FFXIV related problem for some people :(

EDIT:

It shuts down fine in safe mode. For now I just let it restart, boot it in safe mode, and then shut down. It's still pretty annoying, but it'll have to do until I figure this out.