PDA

View Full Version : Loving Star Ocean: First Departure on PSP

Skippy
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
S'up people. What's everyone's opinions of SO:FD on the PSP?

Found myself playing it while I wait for FFXIV to come out. Having only played Till the End of Time on the PS2 years ago this is my first taste of 'retro' Star Ocean. I'm enjoying every minute of it. Just got Ronyx (or whatever his name is haha) back in my party and it sounds like the story is about to pick up majorly.

I think im benefitting from being able to plug my PSp into my TV too. I think its fair to say I probably wouldnt be enjoying it as much if I was sat on my couch staring at the PSP for hours on end. No retro rpg's should ever be played this way haha.

Nice
09-10-2010, 01:59 AM
If you're loving First Departure, you're going to flip out and orgasm when you play Second Evolution.

Personally I love Star Ocean. Very nice series. Haven't played any of the newer incarnations, but someway, somehow I'll find some time to do so.

VeloZer0
09-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Huh.*
I picked up SO2 for the PSP and was wholly underwhelmed. Most of the story seemed to just keep getting bogged down with long scenes of characters being awkward with each other.

But as I also got disillusioned with SO3 I can't say that my opinion should really matter to a series fan.

EDIT:
*indicating I found the above review interesting, not confusing

Skippy
09-10-2010, 11:16 AM
i agree the characters do just seem to moan at each other quite a lot haha. But then its balanced out with comedy scenes. Ive just seen the 'drunk in the bar and falling asleep scene' and laughed my head off lol.

Getting annoyed with the sun puzzle at Van castle now. I think a trip to an FAQ is in order.

Nice
09-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Huh.*
I picked up SO2 for the PSP and was wholly underwhelmed. Most of the story seemed to just keep getting bogged down with long scenes of characters being awkward with each other.

But as I also got disillusioned with SO3 I can't say that my opinion should really matter to a series fan.

EDIT:
*indicating I found the above review interesting, not confusing

lol Thanks. I actually felt that way about SO2 as well at first. I almost put it down in fact, but I just ended up falling in love with it. But that (feeling underwhelmed) happens to me now since I've played so many JRPGs. It takes a long time for me to fall in love in love with a RPG nowadays, especially older ones.

Roogle
09-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I loved Star Ocean and Star Ocean 2 for the most part on their original consoles.

I feel like the series has lost focus over time. The storyline of the later games appears to have issues when it comes to focus and pacing. I own a copy of the remakes, but I have yet to play them.

The original Star Ocean was brought to the attention of the West many years ago by DeJap Translations (http://dejap.eludevisibility.org/) via a translation patch. The newer, updated translation clashes a lot with the older translation. A similar issue occurs with some of the localizations of Final Fantasy V.