PDA

View Full Version : GTAV ideas

Madame Adequate
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Why GTA V should be set in the future.

Speculation about a new GTA game is always going to be widespread and wide ranging, and until I get news that it's going to be something I really don't want, like GTA Stockholm or something, I'm going to talk about and dream about GTA being set in the future.

1.Scope for all kinds of neat toys.
What is the coolest thing about the future? All the crazy gadgets we hope to have. Rayguns, flying cars, moonbases, robots, etc. etc. San Andreas already went a little in this direction towards the end, with those crazy jetpack missions and suchlike, but the scope for including all kinds of completely crazy vehicles, weapons, and other gadgetry is never going to be higher than in a game set in the future. Given that the point of the GTA series is fun, and that R* seem to have realized this in making Gay Tony much more flamboyant and contain much crazier missions than IV, a setting where pretty much anything you can imagine can legitimately be said to exist opens the door for that.

2.Scope for social commentary.
“But Huxley!” I hear you cry “GTA relies so heavily on making commentary on the period in question! How could a future GTA do this?” Well, okay, it can't actually comment on the future proper for obvious reasons, but it CAN comment on our imaginings of the future. And it's not like we have a shortage of that. R* can quite easily poke fun at futurist utopians like me, as well as cynics or those who feared despotism and destruction, or anyone else. Moreover, it's not hard to imagine issues in the future which will parallel existing or historical ones; clone rights, human-robot marriage, and so forth and which would be ripe for making fun of, as well as letting R* comment on current events with references to 'history', e.g. “Remember back in 2013 when we legalized gay marriage and within a month, the military collapsed because of all the gay sex?” or whatever.

3.Variation in setting.
Of course, there are a multitude of visions of the future, both in terms of individual ideas and broad movements. This doesn't constrain, it does the opposite. R* has so much to choose from that they could use a great deal of it to create a varied and engaging environment. The high-end part of town could be all 1920s modernism in appearance and style; the middle-class suburbs 1950s all streamline moderne and raygun gothic; the business district could remind us of Mirror's Edge with businessmen in their mile-high gleaming towers overlooking a city rife with crime, poverty, and misery; the densely packed urban areas reminiscent of Blade Runner and Judge Dredd, with blocks of intolerably densely packed buildings overlooking perpetually gloomy and rainy streets, all while, off in the distance, the Space Elevator that carries hopeful immigrants to Mars is always visible and is the dream of millions. This ties in again with #2; what if America's population was falling because people were so desperate to leave?

4.Music.
As with #2 there seems on the surface to be a problem here, but #2 itself actually solves the problem. Assuming the setting is fairly unpleasant (And it's GTA, so it will be), it's pretty easy to say “Well everyone's on a massive nostalgia kick because things suck” and then voila, you can pick any music from any period. For contemporary stuff you can just get people like Brian Eno to create it – he knows how to make it sound like the future. If done right the setting could be sublime precisely because it isn't so constrained by a specific era.

Also “Five” and “Future” alliterate.

I Took the Red Pill
09-12-2010, 09:27 AM
I think there need to be citizens who try to rob you as you wander throughout the city. As in some ghetto dude tries to hold you up with the shank of a knife he has and you pull out an RPG and blow his head off along with the building behind him.

idk what was up with GTAIV(/any 3D GTA ever I guess) but they need to fix the whole car spawning system. There's nothing to remind me that I'm playing an XBox game like the fact that I'm driving a limo spawns 23 random smurfing limos immediately around me. I know they can come up with a more comprehensive system than that.

imo more spur of the moment missions need to open up. i.e. the police computer system in GTA IV was pretty ill but iirc Vice City or San Andreas or both idk i'm hammz0red had ambulance missions and I don't think GTAIV did. I would like some ambulance missions and maybe some pizza boy delivery missions with some variety thrown in (perhaps blondie doesn't have enough cash for the pizza and can pay in SOME OTHER WAY?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?)

word life

Psychotic
09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Just basically rip the gameplay off Saints Row 2, bring back the countryside from San Andreas, sprinkle GTA social commentary on top and you're there. Don't really care when or where.

Meat Puppet
09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I hope GTA V is nothing that has ever been suggested here (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=239).

Slothy
09-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Frankly, I just pray they ditch the boring mini games of GTAIV and manage to make a city that not only feels alive but actually has stuff to do besides running over pedestrians and picking up hookers. And if they can make a story that's actually interesting again that'd be great. I haven't given a crap about the story of a GTA game since Vice City, and even then the characters became rather grating by the end.

Long story short, I want them to take the good from GTAIV (the scale and level of detail) and replace everything else with stuff that doesn't suck. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption yet, but from what I've heard R* is apparently capable of it, so I'll hold out some hope that they can make a GTA that doesn't leave me giving up on the series again.

Meat Puppet
09-12-2010, 12:51 PM
If IV’s Liberty City didn’t feel alive to you, then you might as well give up now.

Slothy
09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
If IV’s Liberty City didn’t feel alive to you, then you might as well give up now.

I never said it didn't feel alive, because it was perhaps the most alive feeling city in GTA history. But the illusion does fade somewhat when you realize that there's really not that much to do in Liberty City and that you're essentially playing a prettied up version of GTA3.

The scale and the detail were certainly impressive, but around the time you realize that people still just wander about aimlessly with endlessly spawning cars driving by, and that there's really nothing to do that's any fun outside of missions that you weren't doing three games before it's hard to be impressed by the scale anymore. Because as nice as the city may be, making it look alive can only carry you so far, and if there's nothing fun to do in it then who cares how big it is? Which is actually something that I hear Red Dead got right by making things that were fun to do outside of missions and bounties, and even having things you would never expect to happen happen randomly but which are tremendously entertaining when they do, whether it was deliberate or a quirk of the game code. Perhaps I'll check out Red Dead sometime soon to see what all of the fuss was about first hand.

Iceglow
09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Better filter options for the cell phone calls! I'm in the middle of doing a job I do not want to go watch strippers with you cousin! Nor do I want to go to a bar! and don't be hating because I've gone to earn myself some dough and get you out of the hole you put your fat :bou::bou::bou::bou: ass in!

Depression Moon
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
^lol

I wouldn't mind seeing the protagonist being a woman we have gotten about 4 or 5 white guys, a black guy, and an Asian guy. I'm thinking we might get a latina next. I agree with Vivi that there needs to be more stuff to do outside of missions. Getting girlfriends in IV seem weird to me and I assumed for a while that you couldn't get any extras because all the women I had sent requests to denied me. More mini games needs to be emphasized and done better. More obvious side missions too. I would like to have countryside like in San Andreas, but I did hate it when I was stranded for a while because I did something stupid like drive my car into a lake or shoot my motorcycle to see it explode.

San Andreas did do customization well and stat boosting. IV missed that and I didn't see why Rockstar left it out on IV. I heard there reasons, but it didn't seem to justify it.

Shoeberto
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I thought that Liberty City felt wonderful. It was all of the missions and forced social interaction that I hated.

I think they should take it to England again. It seems like it'd be a lot more fresh material for them. Like Psy said, though, they need to bring back a lot of the SA stuff. That's still the pinnacle of the series, in my opinion. They took role playing elements in a direction that totally didn't work in IV. Also, the story just wasn't fun. Everyone was so serious. You didn't get any missions like doing things for The Truth.

Dreddz
09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
The chances of them setting GTAV in England is unlikely as it will alienate the US audience who are responsible for the majority of the GTA series sales. I do think it is a good idea though. Although England isn't good enough for me, why not Jamaica?

I hope they return to the more arcadey feel of previous GTA games than GTAIV. I enjoyed nearly everything that game offered but the vehicles weren't terribly fun to drive and were all too similar. And if a recall, the helicopters in GTAIV were some of the worst I had controlled in a video game. What were they thinking including those in the game.

Madame Adequate
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned GTA can be set in any location except Europe. I don't know why but I just don't like the idea of a European setting of any kind.

Psychotic
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Fuck you Hobbes, GTA: Skopje would be the tits and you know it :colbert:

Iceglow
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Screw all of ya, we all know it ought to be GTA V: Moscow! Let's face it Russia has such a huge problem with gangs and racism it'd be 50% written already without a huge change needed from the reality of the city.

Parker
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Just give me the jet plane from SA in GTAIV form and I'm happy

Shattered Dreamer
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Most likely GTAV is gonna be set in a brand new Vice City if Rockstar are as predictable as I think they are. Also the city in GTAV needs to be alive in the same way Red Dead Redemption was. If they can recreate that sense of a living world like in RDR I'll be happy regardless of where it's set!

Meat Puppet
09-13-2010, 12:24 AM
I’m holding out for Vice City, myself. I’m not worried about the possibility of them sullying the original Vice City, as they did that with Vice City: Stories.

And before you say anything, yes, they did well on a technical aspect. You get no argument from me there.

Jessweeee♪
09-13-2010, 06:05 AM
I can't quite place my finger on what it is, but I feel like a European setting would be lacking in some important way. That said all I do is run around and blow up cars paying no mind at all to the story and the game's main objectives, so my gameplay experience would be unaffected. That is, after I get used to the fact that I need to open the other side of the car.

Shiny
09-13-2010, 06:25 AM
F the future. I want the 60s and 70s. Curtis Mayfield and Earth, Wind and, Fire playing while I cap some ho's (and hippies).

Ouch!
09-13-2010, 06:34 AM
F the future. I want the 60s and 70s. Curtis Mayfield and Earth, Wind and, Fire playing while I cap some ho's (and hippies).
Fuck yes.

Jiro
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM
That is, after I get used to the fact that I need to open the other side of the car.

Holy crap that's a good point. xD

Psychotic
09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Actually most Europeans all drive on the same side etc. as you Americans do. It's just Britain that has to be different. And tbh I just get in whatever side of the car is nearest to me - the guy just slides over the seats, you know! :p