PDA

View Full Version : Do all fighting games do this?

MJN SEIFER
09-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Have a character that has no attacks of his/her/its own, but instead just "coppies" a random character each round?

I have only seen Tekken and Soul Calibur games do this (both are made by Namco).

black orb
09-17-2010, 11:48 PM
>>> Dissidia..:luca:

Seraphic
09-17-2010, 11:56 PM
If not that then they usually have a character that has one or two similar moves to the rest of the cast, i.e. Seth from Street Fighter IV.
But there are a few who don't follow this formula, namely the Axsys games Guilty Gear and Blazblue.

Elly
09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
and don't forget characters like Shang Tsung from the Mortal Kombat series...

DMKA
09-18-2010, 02:12 PM
and don't forget characters like Shang Tsung from the Mortal Kombat series...

Back in the MKII days I would always play as Shang Tsung but I would never use his morphing abilities and just kept cheesing with flaming skulls. :p

But yeah, this seems pretty common. The Soul Calibur games are notorious for it.

Flying Arrow
09-18-2010, 02:26 PM
The first fighter I thought of when I read your post was Twelve from SF3 3rd Strike. One of his Super Arts is actually a mimic move and he becomes his opponent. I actually don't find it all that practical. I mean, unless you've mastered every fighter in the game and are trying to throw your opponent for a loop in having to fight himself.

Seraphic
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I was gonna say Shang Tsung, but around MK3 he went to therapy and became his own character.

escobert
09-18-2010, 09:28 PM
yeah most of them do.

Jessweeee♪
09-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Mokujin forever <3

Vyk
09-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Old school Street Fighter for the win... Though they're probably disqualified due to Ryu/Ken/Akuma(/Dan)

Roogle
09-20-2010, 05:34 PM
As you mentioned, Tekken is known for its characters that copy full skillsets during battle.

This is not common in games that utilize 2D sprites as each move would have to be animated specifically for that character. The character would have as much sprite data as all of the other characters combined!

A more common approach is to have a character which takes moves from the rest of the cast for a full set of skills.

MJN SEIFER
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for answering everyone, I had often wondered. (I might try more fighting games)

A more common approach is to have a character which takes moves from the rest of the cast for a full set of skills.

Soul Calibur II kind of did this - One character had a weapon that was basically a sphere of light, and it would "shift" into other weapons (Sword, Axe, etc) and he would use the attacks of everyone else - it was kind of cool, he's not in any other Soul games though...

Kyros
09-21-2010, 03:52 AM
That was Necrid and he was super banned b/c he was too good. He wasn't a copy of other characters like charade was, he was just pretty much the best moves from everyone put into one character that could combo into anything he wanted to.

Mo-Nercy
09-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Ogre in Tekken 3 did this too. He took moves from all the supposedly 'devoured' characters that he had killed.

Many of these characters made a miraculous comeback in later installments though, like Lee and Baek.

Roogle
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, the first phase of Ogre contained moves from many cast members that were implied to be dead.

Most of the characters with the exception of Jun Kazama and Kunimitsu were seen in later iterations of the game, right? The previous two mentioned were only seen once more in Tekken Tag Tournament.

Mo-Nercy
09-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Lee did indeed come back for Tekken 4, disguised as Violet. In 5 and 6 he's back in all his silver haired glory (though you can still customise him to look like Violet).

Baek's also back since 5. They've made enough changes to him and Hwoarang for the two of them to play completely differently.

Pheesh
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, Baek can kick you in the nuts now D:

Seraphic
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I wonder if they'll ever bring back Jun now that they have Asuka who pretty much plays the same as her.

MJN SEIFER
09-24-2010, 11:21 AM
It was never implied that Lee had died, they just stopped talking about him.

But Baek, yeah. Tekken 5 claims that he was simply knocked out by Ogre, and left for dead. Still an excuse, but it's passable.

They could bring Jun back a similar way, it would be kind of silly though - I don't really like these "Oh they were alive the whole time!" things usually, I get that fighting games have the whole "Canon/Non-Canon" thing going on, but I don't always see the point in keeping a character dead for so many games and then reving him/her, it's alright if s/he dies in the end of part 1 and is alive in part 2 - it's more forgivable, because the ending is more open.

Time to bring up those damn Soul games again! (what can I say, I'm a fan :cool:) In SC1 a character dies in his ending after being injured in the final battle (I think it was Maxi), but he is alive in SC2, because in canon, he never got to the place where the final battle takes place (makes sense), so he's alive, and I can ignore that, because it was solved in the very next game and believeable. However in Soul Blade (Soul Calibur 0 so to speak, SB came first) we see one of the characters die in that game (Li Long), and he is not in SC1, or SC2 - it is apparently implied he is dead in SC1. However he is in SC3 (albeit as a bonus character), so is he alive or not, I personally think he should have stayed dead, as he's been believed to be dead for years. Same with Advent Children really...

Roogle
09-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I see. I do not mind if a character death in a fighting game is permanent if the character has a successor like in the Tekken series of games.

You do not need Michelle Chang if you have Julia Chang; you do not need Jun Kazama if you have Asuka Kazama.

I find comic book deaths more relieving if the character has no successor: Rose and Gen were pretty much left in the dust after the Street Fighter Alpha series concluded, one being possessed and badly injured, and the other dying of a fatal illness, but they were both brought back for Street Fighter IV without adequately explaining what happened to them. This is fine to me because neither of them had any successor or character that played the same. If Gen has a student, or if Rose dies and passes her powers to someone else, then you can do what you will with the character.

Depression Moon
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I think they could make Jun play a lot different than Asuka. There are three fighters with the Mishima style karate that play differently so they could make a 2nd Kazama style karate fighter play differently from Asuka.

Pheesh
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
If they do take away Asuka then I'll start cracking skulls.