PDA

View Full Version : Never Let Me Go

emilykv
09-18-2010, 06:38 PM
youtube.com/watch?v=lweT_Mas1S (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lweT_Mas1SE)

e (http://nhakhoanhantam.com/)

As a fan of the book I had a mixed reaction to this adequate yet overall uninspiring adaptation of Kazuo

Ishiguro's brilliant novel.

Looking back at my viewing experience I was reminded of the early adaptation of 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' from the

earliest era of films, in which the filmmakers expected you to have read the book and simply showed you

interpretations of various scenes.

Alex Garland's screenplay boasted the ambition of including a little bit of everything from Ishiguro's 300 page

book in his slightly under two hour movie. The result is a simple abridgment, we have time to realize the love

brewing between the characters, the strained friendship between Mulligan's Kathy and Knightley's Ruth, and the

dilemma of their caregivers at Hailsham. But the film lacks much the catharsis and the commentary that made the

book so great.

Romanek has proved himself to be a capable director, but here he made some negative decisions which really removed

much of the impact of the plot. Adam Kimmel's cinematography is a stand out here, and given the competition so far

I wouldn't be surprised if he receives an Oscar nomination for his work.

The calm collection and stoic nature of much of the acting can be seen as insipid or uninteresting to some. But I

found the acting to be quite appropriate, the tight lipped, proper British style of this movie provided an nice

contrast and balance to a story which could have turned into a mindless melodramatic tear jerker if not handled

correctly.

In the end, I think active viewer-ship is of paramount importance to this movie. The film is never interested in

simply handing the audience its ideas. Rather it called upon us to dig for meaning. I would say the plot itself

served as a bit of a metaphor, and that intrigued me. And, despite some of the negative artistic liberties which

were taken in this adaptation, I feel that it did well enough to create an involving, though provoking, and

sometimes heartbreaking experience.

Despite its flaws, 'Never Let Me Go' has been one of the few strong film that we've had this year. And, if your

one of those people who goes to the movies once or twice a month, I'd say 'Never Let Me Go' is one of your better

bets for an agreeable experience at the movies right now.

espenshade55

Miriel
09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm so excited for this film!

I enjoyed the book (didn't love it though) and Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan are two of my favorite actresses right now. The trailer looked so gorgeous and perfect. Can't wait to see this with my book club girls. :)

Rye
09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Ooooh, Carey Mulligan! I have to see this now! I like Ishiguro, though I've not read that novel in particular - I'll have to try it. It seems so good.

I am mildly annoyed though - I had an idea similar to this for a novel, and I had never read or heard of the plot of this novel until now. Now it's a moot idea! Dang, yo!