PDA

View Full Version : Doing work

Rye
09-18-2010, 07:38 PM
When it comes to writing or doing course work for university or I suppose even HS, where do you tend to do it?

I used to be big on doing it all in my room, but over the past few weeks, I've been making an effort to do it either in my school's library, in a coffee shop, or anywhere where I'm less inclined to be distracted, and I think I'm much more successful in those settings. Noise doesn't bother me when I work, but if I'm in my house, I interrupt myself a million times with going to clean a corner in my room or getting a drink or any other number of silly things.

Clo
09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I switch it up depending on my schedule. I tend to do less work in my apartment, because people tend to use my living space as a recreation station and are always stopping by. So if I don't have too much work to do, I will stay in my apartment and slowly get it done.

But when I have a lot to do, I need to get away from people, and I almost always go to the library, because I like it there. Also, even though I'm not allowed, I do homework at my one job as well. I just hide it when my supervisors come over. I'm always at work though, and if I didn't do work in the slow times, I would never be able to do some of it.

Seraphic
09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I'd always do it while at school, especially if I had to read a great amount of something.
With writing I normally did it at home, but I'd give myself time for distractions, so for a paper that would've taken me about an hour and a half to write, I gave myself about 5 hours,lol.

Reading outside on campus always felt nicer to me, the library was always too quiet,lol.

fire_of_avalon
09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
One semester I had only an hour and a half between classes and I lived hella far away from campus so I would use the down time to go to the graduate library and study for the following reasons: 1) NEVER ANYBODY THERE UNLIKE THE TWO UNDERGRADUATE LIBRARIES 2) soooo quiet 3) Surrounded by rare book collection 4) pretty to look at.

Other times I would use study rooms in the other libraries or get a study group somewhere I didn't have toys.

Raistlin
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I do most of my work in my apartment. I just shut myself in my room and work on my laptop.

But I also tend to stay at the law school between classes, so during the day I'll sometimes do work in the library.

Chloe.
09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
I try to do any work I have in the Sixth Form study room because I'm less likely to get distracted, buuut I usually end up doing it at home either in my room or whatever.

Madame Adequate
09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
At home. I don't have much trouble about being distracted and anyway, I plan things out with enough time that I rarely need to do a huge amount of work on any given day, so I tend not to reach the point where it becomes hard to concentrate.

NorthernChaosGod
09-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Most of the time I will do my work in my room, I can just shut myself in quite well. Sometimes I'll leave a bit of a work to do between history and music since I have an hour break. Then I'll go do that in the library.

Chris
09-19-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't like any distractions, so I tried to do 90% of my work at home. I get really, really easily annoyed with people when I'm in my zone, so I'd rather do it at home, so I don't destroy any friendships in the process. :|

Breine
09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Up until now I've done all of my uni work at home in my apartment (except for some group things, or if I have a gap between classes). I intend to use the study hall at some point, though - probably when I have to study for exams and the like.

rubah
09-20-2010, 03:08 AM
I realized recently that I do my engineering/science work best during the day, and my writing/artistic work best during the night.

Clearly I need to start doing amphetamines and work both lifestyles.