PDA

View Full Version : Who do you admire in the media?

Otis_Glicker
09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
This can seem like a strange question, I know. Most people in the media are awful people that stand for nothing, but I think everyone has an actor/comedian/icon/etc that has inspired them.

For me, it's George Carlin. It may not be the most admirable thing in the world on my part, but he stood for a lot of the same things as I do and put them into words that I wouldn't have been able to, whether it be for comedy or not. Almost everything he's said has been rude and offensive, but it's so blatant and true that you have to forgive him and laugh. His rants have made me feel okay with being in a terrible, screwed up world because there's always a voice of reason, even if that voice is a crass, rude old man with a microphone. I remember the day he died, I had done a portrait of him in an art class I had and my friend from that class called me asking if I knew what'd happened and I didn't know what to do with myself. It was like I had lost someone close to me and I never knew the man. I think we all have someone we look up to in that way. So who's your idol? And why?

Raistlin
09-19-2010, 01:30 AM
The first couple major figures that came to mind:

James Randi: The magician-turned-magic-debunker was a leader of promoting skepticism for decades. Really an incredible person, and what he consistently promoted was extremely valuable. Most of what he did was before my time, but his impact is still felt.

Penn & Teller: More magicians-turned-skeptics, these guys are just awesome. Speaking of George Carlin, Penn Jillette could arguably be described as his generation's Carlin: loud-mouthed, vulgar, and very often right.

Rye
09-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Hmmm...

The more I read about Stephen Fry, the more I admire him. I feel like I relate to him a lot. Same goes for Haruki Murakami, though he's a writer. Reading his autobiography, I realized that what makes him tick is similar to myself.

EDIT: Also, Joss Whedon because he's one of the few people in the media who pulls off strong empowered female roles without it coming across as fake or trope-ish.

Otis_Glicker
09-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Penn & Teller

My god, I love these guys. Penn's dialogue in much of his work has astounded me in how well thought-out and "in-your-face" it is, without sounding like a preachy bigot. While I don't agree with everything he says, they've helped me be much more of a skeptic in a world that needs skepticism. It's tough to not take what's shoved down your throat sometimes, but a heaping helping of Penn & Teller can help.

Shiny
09-19-2010, 03:04 AM
I just like Penn because Teller hardly even talks. Penn is loud and sometimes even obnoxious, but completely logical.

Shorty
09-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert (for obvious reasons).

Freya
09-19-2010, 03:14 AM
John Stewart and Stephen Colbert (for obvious reasons).

Them and Whedon.

Raistlin
09-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Teller will talk freely in various public talks and seminars they give, just never in acts (or on the show). What once was a calculated decision to keep frat guys from heckling him has turned into a permanent gimmick.

DMKA
09-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Sarah Palin

Parker
09-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Teller is one of the smartest coolest guys you'll ever meet. Woot.

Can't wait to pick up Stephen Fry's new book either. His older one, Moab is my washpot, is a great read if you haven't read it, Rye.

Bunny
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Joss Whedon continues to impress me with every piece of work that he's heavily connected with. Firefly remains one of my favorite shows to ever air, if not my favorite. It'll be 8 years old tomorrow, I think that says something about the staying power of his stuff.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is, more or less, the actor version of Joss Whedon, in so many words. Each and every one of this roles has impressed me for their depth, even in the movies that I disliked [(500) Days of Summer]. Mysterious Skin remains as having one of the most disturbing scenes I have ever seen in film.

kotora
09-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Joss Whedon is awesome. His shows are among the few that have female roles that are actually relevant to the plot and aren't just there to be annoying. Too bad they all get cancelled.

Miriel
09-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I am in love with Jon Stewart. IN LOVE. There's pretty much no one in the media who I respect a much as Stewart, although Colbert comes in close.

Shiny
09-20-2010, 01:36 AM
I forgot about Joseph Gordon-Levitt. While I don't think he's the best actor out there right now, he's definitely really good at picking his roles minus the G.I. Joe role. And his hit record project is a great idea!

I Took the Red Pill
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Neil Patrick Harris.