PDA

View Full Version : Body wash and shampoo are the same thing?

Jessweeee♪
09-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Today my boyfriend and I went to go buy some conditioner at Wal-Mart. We got a little lost because the shampoo and conditioner wasn't where it was when we bought shampoo a couple of weeks ago. Just now my boyfriend got out of the shower and told me "I know why we couldn't find it! Our shampoo is actually body wash". I couldn't believe it! It lathered up the same way shampoo did, and my hair was exactly the same as it was with our previous bottle of shampoo (which was definitely shampoo and of the same brand and scent). I looked at the label, and sure enough, it's body wash. I've always thought those body wash + shampoo bottles were inferior to pure shampoo, but could they be the same?! I must compare the ingredients next time I'm at the store.

G13
09-19-2010, 04:40 AM
No. I refuse to believe it. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edit: Actually, I've been wondering about that a lot lately what with those Old Spice commercials for the two-in-one shampoo and body wash. Does this mean I can scrub with shampoo or wash my hair with body wash?

Goldenboko
09-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Yes, but my shampoo smells like coconut. Coconut.

Clo
09-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Wait. How did your hair feel?! My mind is boggled.

Raistlin
09-19-2010, 05:16 AM
Edit: Actually, I've been wondering about that a lot lately what with those Old Spice commercials for the two-in-one shampoo and body wash. Does this mean I can scrub with shampoo or wash my hair with body wash?

Old Spice can do anything. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc90UhV6hJA&feature=player_embedded)

Jessweeee♪
09-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Wait. How did your hair feel?! My mind is boggled.

Totally normal! Exactly the same as when I use shampoo. I have my hair on a strict "lather twice and only every other day" schedule because if I deviate the slightest bit it doesn't cooperate. Switching from shampoo to body wash (of the same brand and scent) didn't change anything. I guess Suave thought it would be cool to save money by printing a label and slapping it on shampoo, rather than making body wash.

Shorty
09-19-2010, 07:04 AM
I guess I'm not that surprised because soap and shampoo are like, the same thing.

Still, though. I wouldn't use my coconut lime body wash on my hair if I had the choice. I have, however, substituted shampoo for shaving cream in desperate situations.

Seraphic
09-19-2010, 07:33 AM
I realized about a week ago that what I was using for shampoo was actually body wash.
Someone told me that it smelled like soap but I totally denied it and said it was shampoo since soap makes your hair feel all funky,but this body wash was better than any shampoo I'd ever used :S

Shiny
09-19-2010, 07:54 AM
It depends on what kind of body wash it is. I use body wash to lather up my legs before I shave them instead of shaving cream. Body wash can be used for a lot of things it seems. There are some body washes that are more like soap in that they dry the hair and cause breakage. Those are not really good to use on hair -- especially if you don't condition.

Yeargdribble
09-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Bodywash is a sore point for me at the moment. I'd been using the Neutrogena stuff with the gritty bits in it. It's kinda like apricot scrub, but cheaper (and stinky) and does a great little exfoliation job. Problem is, they seem to have stopped making it. All I can find is the same orange crap without the rough exfoliating stuff.

They seem to have a new product in a much smaller tube at a much higher price that I guess is their exfoliater now. Anyone know a good, reasonably price, full body exfoliant?

On that same note, did anyone else use Old Spice soap back in the day? I was so pissed when they started only making the bodywash version. I guess I have to revert to Irish Spring.

Also, wtf is up with these new MAN POUFS!!? Seriously. People like Axe have to make a manly version of the pouf with some sort of extra rough crap and tire textured rubber/plastic thing. I guess what pisses me off is that there is a market for such a thing because there are guys out there so insecure they wouldn't be caught dead with something called a pouf. It has to be a Man Scubber™ or some similar BS.

Jesus people are f***ing fragile.

Rye
09-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Wow, I'm surprised it worked the same!

I'm running frighteningly low on my favorite body wash collection, the Lime, Lemon and Mint scents from Original Source, which only seems to be in England. =(

Old Manus
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Also, wtf is up with these new MAN POUFS!!? Seriously. People like Axe have to make a manly version of the pouf with some sort of extra rough crap and tire textured rubber/plastic thing. I guess what pisses me off is that there is a market for such a thing because there are guys out there so insecure they wouldn't be caught dead with something called a pouf. It has to be a Man Scubber™ or some similar BS.I suppose it depends on the pronounciation of 'poufs'

Clo
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
This is all making me want to experiment and see what my mango body wash will to do my hair.

NorthernChaosGod
09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I seem to be one of the only people here that actually uses soap.

Jessweeee♪
09-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I just can't stand using bar soap. Poufs are wonderful, but they get really germy if you don't replace them often.

Clo
09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Bar soap gets gross. And it's slippery. I drop it. >_>

Shoeberto
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Take soap, apply soap to wash cloth, apply wash cloth to skin.

Never tried body wash. I'm kinda old fashioned.

Bunny
09-19-2010, 04:55 PM

This does not surprise me in the slightest.

My body wash makes me smell like Ireland. I'm skeptical though.

Clo
09-19-2010, 04:56 PM

But I drop it in that process. :onoes: And it still gets nasty because it's a lump of frothy lard.

NorthernChaosGod
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Bunny, shut up.

But I drop it in that process. :onoes: And it still gets nasty because it's a lump of frothy lard.

Rinse it off after.

Yeargdribble
09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I try to sometimes use bodywash, but I still prefer bar soap. Bodywash is ridiculous expensive comparatively. Poufs aren't rough enough and have to be replaced too often for my tastes. I just use a wash cloth with soap. I can scrub harder with a wash cloth. Most of the time with a pouf and bodywash I just feel like I'm lathering up my body, but not actually cleaning anything. I still use them from time to time, but more for being frilly and smelling good than for getting clean.

BTW... the people who are unaware of the man pouf... It's the Axe Detailer Shower Tool (http://www.amazon.com/Axe-Detailer-Shower-Tool-Colors/dp/B0017TZD7S)! RAWR IT SOUND SO MAAAANLY!!! God that's so lame.

Shorty
09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
What is this pouf nonsense? They're called loofas, people.

Rase
09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Also, wtf is up with these new MAN POUFS!!? Seriously. People like Axe have to make a manly version of the pouf with some sort of extra rough crap and tire textured rubber/plastic thing. I guess what pisses me off is that there is a market for such a thing because there are guys out there so insecure they wouldn't be caught dead with something called a pouf. It has to be a Man Scubber™ or some similar BS.
Regular loofas aren't good for cleaning balls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP9Qv0nhh_0).

Shiny
09-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Nah, I use soap, but it's dove which is apparently the girly bar soap.

G13
09-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Bar soap makes me feel scummy. I feel like I need to take another shower. :/

fire_of_avalon
09-20-2010, 02:34 AM
No. They are called "shower thingies."

rubah
09-20-2010, 03:05 AM
I've never been able to get shampoo to lather up like body wash/soap for shaving

Shiny
09-20-2010, 03:37 AM
No. They are called "shower thingies."
Or the things to avoid because people probably put them up their butts.

NorthernChaosGod
09-20-2010, 03:48 AM
I try to sometimes use bodywash, but I still prefer bar soap. Bodywash is ridiculous expensive comparatively. Poufs aren't rough enough and have to be replaced too often for my tastes. I just use a wash cloth with soap. I can scrub harder with a wash cloth. Most of the time with a pouf and bodywash I just feel like I'm lathering up my body, but not actually cleaning anything. I still use them from time to time, but more for being frilly and smelling good than for getting clean.

A million times this.

Yeargdribble
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM

There is a huge difference.

This is a loofah (luffa).
http://imgur.com/2xq6r.jpg

A loofah is actually made from a plant and is rough as hell. These are great for scrubbing and exfoliating.

Luffa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa)

This, on the other hand, is a pouf.
http://imgur.com/Gs3kB.jpg

It is very soft and frillly. It builds lather very well and much better than a loofah, but is too soft to really scrub anything. There are other versions that are a little better, but since the pictured kind has become popular, these others are harder to find and still aren't as good at exfoliating as a loofah.

This is a wash cloth.
http://imgur.com/vJzja.jpg

It holds the best properties of all of the above. It can build a moderate lather especially with bar soap. It is rough enough to scrub and exfoliate, but not so bore a hole into your epidermis (see loofahs). It is also easier to wash and less prone to mold than both poufs and loofahs. Also, it is considerable cheaper and so you could regularly just dispose of these and repurchase in bulk so as to never worry about mold or any other such issues.

ITT: Yeargdribble earns his Ciddie.

Psychotic
09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
This thread helped me this morning. Thanks, Jay Note!

Jowy
09-21-2010, 12:39 AM
they are when you're fucking cheap

i used my roommate's honeydew shampoo today because i wanted to use "real" shampoo

i've never felt prettier