PDA

View Full Version : Civilization 5

Madame Adequate
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
So the latest iteration of one of the most popular, enduring, and important game series of all time is out in just a couple of days.

Hence, we shall discuss it in this thread.

I'm looking forward to the new civics system, it seems to be more comprehensive and it leads directly to the culture victory, so I might actually pursue that for once!

Who is getting? Who will you first place as? (Rome for me, their civ bonus is perfect for my turtle-builder style of playing) What other Civs have you played, or other 4x games for that matter? Where, dear God, where is Alpha Centauri 2?

kotora
09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm gonna wait and see what the reviews say. I like civilization but the combat system never made a lot of sense to me so I hated that part of the previous games (it was much better in Alpha Centauri, where units that are stronger actually win against weaker units nearly all of the time). Seeing as how it's gonna be overhauled in the new one, it might either turn out good or make the game worse.

I Took the Red Pill
09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Of course I will be getting this, I don't know how good of an idea that is though as it coincides with schoolwork actually picking up and once I start playing Civ I cannot stop. I will likely play as America or China first, although I am disappointed to hear America's UU will not be the Navy SEAL (which was completely boss in Civ IV), but rather the Minuteman.

Dignified Pauper
09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I am definitely getting the demo simply because I don't know if I can run the game on my laptop... So, I'm going to see then and decide, but I'm stupidly excited if it does.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-21-2010, 04:34 AM
So I pre-loaded it on Steam. Sadly, I have to wait until 10am to play it. Here I thought I'd get to play it at midnight. :/

Anyone else excited for it? It looks epic. Civ IV drew me in so well that, I fear the effect Civ V will have on me. Looks like I found a new crack...

Civilization V Video Game, Debut Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-civilization-v/62388)

Civilization V Video Game, Review HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-civilization-v/704829)

I AM SO EXCITED! :D

What about you EoFF?

Rase
09-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I can not get this until I'm done with college. Civ 4 still randomly draws me in for a 4 hour game... My GPA couldn't handle Civ 5.

Madame Adequate
09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm powerful excited. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/134345-civilization-5-a.html)

Dignified Pauper
09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I played the demo, read a bunch... I'm just not sold. I REALLY love Hexes. I LOVE the new military system, but city-states bother me, as well as the simplified diplomacy, and a lack of religion. I really really loved religion last game and abusing it, when possible. I dunno... something about this really didn't resonate with me as much, although, I love the new civics as well as the simplified city control. I dunno, someone else play more and tell me...

kotora
09-22-2010, 03:05 AM
Don't like the new interface. It feels like a step backwards from Civ 4. On the other hand, combat is much better (doesn't seem as random now as it used to) and the hex system is also an improvement. It's still retarded how units next to each other don't help each other out in combat. Too bad the demo only lets you play for 100 turns, I'd like to play it for some more.

escobert
09-22-2010, 05:27 AM
I haven't played one of these games since II xD I'd probably be sad since I'm sure it's not the same. I've played II within the last 6 months.

qwertysaur
09-22-2010, 04:14 PM
If I get this game now I will fail all my classes because I will spend 10 hours a day playing it. :(

It looks like so much fun too!

Rantz
09-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Threads about this game merged.

Yeargdribble
09-23-2010, 12:04 AM
You know what... I would be buying this right now, except I discovered Minecraft and it's arguably more addictive even than Civ. It's worse than one more turn. I seriously sit down with a single goal in mind figuring it will take 30 minutes only to find that I was sitting there for 3 hours and had branched into a dozen things.

Looking forward to Civ 5 when I get around to it though. These days I'm just a junkie moving from one fix to the next. Hearing people talk about it, reading/watching reviews, etc.... I just get to jazzed about some of the new features and immense polish.

Dignified Pauper
09-23-2010, 02:48 AM
I think I'm skipping this. instead, I went with an old classic... Alpha Centauri...

Aerith's Knight
09-28-2010, 11:56 PM
This game is crack. No, I actually mean crack. I've never played a more addicting game since.. since.. hell, since FFVII. I've pretty much got my military dominance, I've got tanks, battle cruisers and jets against their musketmen for pete's sake, but I'm keeping some alive just so I can get the Scientific win.

Why? Well.. it's SCIENCE!

kotora
09-29-2010, 12:11 AM
After a couple of games I've concluded that Civ 4 is deeper and better. If only it had the combat system of this one.

Aerith's Knight
09-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Seriously.. How does Nuclear fusion lead to GIANT DEATH ROBOTS? xD

Madame Adequate
09-29-2010, 08:43 PM
I like Civ IV today more than Civ V today, but then IV has had years of patching and two expansions.

Civ V is pretty goddamn awesome.