PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Colossus Movie

Seraphic
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I wasn't really sure where to put this, so please move it if I'm wrong ^^

IN|10 Interview: Kevin Ping Chang, on the ‘Shadow of the Colossus’ movie | Play Till Doomsday (http://playtilldoomsday.com/2010/09/21/kevin-chang-sotc-movie/)

Shadow of the Colossus was one of those games that for me was simple yet really effective.
However, I don't know how this will translate to film, and though the article was great and everything, not much was really addressed.
I'm not even sure if there is a right way to do a movie about a game where a nameless character wanders around to battle 16 enemies while not speaking, but I really hope they do!

Thoughts?

Pheesh
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I stopped reading as soon as he made a crack at Scott Pilgrim.

RAGE!

Chris
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
A movie based on this game? Probably turns out to be visually stunning, but lacking in everything else. A silent movie, perhaps? :eep:

No, seriously, I just can't imagine a movie based on this game. The game doesn't really have much of a story, so how are they going to make it into a two-hour movie?

They'll probably cast Sam Worthington. Typically.

Psychotic
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree. SotC is a beast of a game but a movie? Ehhh.

Seraphic
09-23-2010, 03:39 PM
lol The Scott Pilgrim reference was completely unnecessary since it has no correlation.

It's funny that you mention silent movie because they were referencing the beginning of WALL-E as some kind of inspiration. Again, a correlation I'm not entirely clear on since one is about a robot and the other a young man.
In reality, I feel like there would have to be some dialogue even if it was just the voices heard inside of the temple.
I wonder who would they cast as the main character since he has to be fairly young.
Another interesting thing they mentioned in the article was if it is successful then they could possibly consider continuing on with with it's spiritual successor,Ico.

Pete for President
09-23-2010, 10:14 PM
They should stop abusing awesome games and/or movies to make cash out of it. I have absolutely no faith that anything of quality will be made from this.

blackmage_nuke
09-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I think it could work if it was made really arthouse but with pure action and short traveling montages, silent movie would also work with temple dialogue showing up as text like a prologue the whole way through. (Then again Ive only finished Ico and havent beaten the second colossus so what would i know)

Then again just because it could be good doesnt mean they wont screw it up.

Im being a bit hypocritical since I didnt like James Cameron's avatar for being unoriginal story and all visuals but hopefully theres a difference between high quality visuals and highly creative visuals.

McLovin'
09-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Hmm, they could potentially make it a really epic movie tbh. An adventure about a kid saving his girl and fighting the giant monsters. Could be really really epic. Especially if they make a giant showdown type thing at the end like at the end of the game.

and how does he take a crack at Scott Pilgrim? All he said was he thought it dragged on, which isn't anything worth crying over. =/

Oh and they're making an Uncharted movie? Interesting, though, it's silly because the game IS a movie. :)

Pheesh
09-26-2010, 07:09 AM
I was joking, obviously I didn't stop reading the article :/

But when this movie inevitably ends up being worse than Scott Pilgrim...I'll be waiting.

Markus. D
09-26-2010, 08:21 AM
>>> Well... I could only see it being like this, if it we were to translate it into the human world. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMBwPLYF40) <<<

Clo
09-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I think it actually has the potential to be a really awesome movie, if they do it right.

Or a fucking terrible one.

Bastian
10-02-2010, 04:04 AM
I stopped playing this game BECAUSE there was no story. How can you make a movie out of this plot-less game?

Vyk
10-05-2010, 05:32 AM
I think it could work if it was made really arthouse but with pure action and short traveling montages, silent movie would also work with temple dialogue showing up as text like a prologue the whole way through. (Then again Ive only finished Ico and havent beaten the second colossus so what would i know)

Then again just because it could be good doesnt mean they wont screw it up.

Im being a bit hypocritical since I didnt like James Cameron's avatar for being unoriginal story and all visuals but hopefully theres a difference between high quality visuals and highly creative visuals.

I think this would be on the right track. It has potential. But Hollywood is never on the right track. Especially for video game movies. Ten bucks says they make the Colossi out to be terrorizing monsters instead of the innocent victims they are. Because that makes good movie *gag*

Mercen-X
05-08-2018, 02:36 AM
My approach would be like this:

Very little character interaction. Barely-there mention of extraneous characters. Main actor the only character with spoken dailogue (flashbacks of regaling his coma-girl with his previous adventures). Main goal for MC is reaching the top of the tower (the main tower from the game which you could scale for absolutely no reason).
Narrative would suppose that the fruit from the tree at the top can revive the girl. Of course, once he gets there he has to fight Dormin, the tree's ancient guardian.
Could include flashbacks of traveling the deserts and forests while fighting and escaping from other creatures.

Shauna
05-08-2018, 07:48 AM
8 years? Wow.