PDA

View Full Version : The Westboro Baptist Church is coming to town

Raistlin
09-24-2010, 08:12 PM
So Fred Phelps and the WBC are coming to my town tomorrow, and some fellow law students and I are trying to organize a counter-protest. I've already hit up Facebook for funny sign and counter-protest ideas, but I figure this could be an amusing EoFF topic as well. What signs do you think we should have, or what is the funniest anti-WBC sign you've seen?

Side topic: have you gone to protests before?

Freya
09-24-2010, 08:31 PM
What are they protesting?

Raistlin
09-24-2010, 08:42 PM
The usual: the funeral of a soldier.

Peegee
09-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I went to one of the Scientology protests when it was new, but I'm not very emotionally invested in it, so I didn't go to any more. (off topic I think they are saying that the usa gov't is going to look into their tax exemption status which may or may not be good news or no news)

As for WBC - There are a multitude of passages which denounce earthly political affairs. A particular one because it talks about litigation:

1 Corinthians 6:1-8

<sup>1</sup>If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? <sup>2</sup>Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? <sup>3</sup>Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! <sup>4</sup>Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church![a] <sup>5</sup>I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? <sup>6</sup>But instead, one brother goes to law against another—and this in front of unbelievers!

<sup>7</sup>The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? <sup>8</sup>Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.

But that's probably not a good example - but it shouldn't take you (or maybe Dr Unne) a few minutes to find one that says 'stay away from the affairs of man'

Clo
09-25-2010, 12:07 AM
They're coming to down what? Vodka?

I counterprotested the Westboro Baptist Church about a year and a half ago. They were protesting in Buffalo at the memorial for the Clarence plane crash victims, and a famous local feminist was having a funeral that day as well.

We all dressed in white and carried giant white signs. We just stood in front of them, blocking their signs so the families of the crash victims and the woman didn't have to see what they said when they walked by. There was a whole crowd of people, but I somehow managed to stand in front of one of Phelps' sons with my one friend, and he only said one thing to us: "I have a right to this sidewalk," to which we replied, "So do we." Eventually they left, and the police came by and congratulated us, which was sort of odd.

Then we went to Wendy's! Sweet.

Raistlin
09-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Oops, that's supposed to be "town." I didn't even notice that.

Cuchulainn
09-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Just hold a big sign saying

smurf UP OR I'LL RAPE YOU

that aught to attract the relevant attention.

PS: I read down too and thought they were coming to Ireland. Only Huxtable will get that.

Shlup
09-25-2010, 01:46 AM
According to wiki, "Not today, Fred." is a popular one. Personally, I've always been a fan of "God Hates Figs." There are even flyers to pass out (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3360221228_244dcae3df.jpg)!

Momiji
09-25-2010, 01:50 AM
What a coincidence. The WBC (not Fred Phelps, unfortunately) came to my area to protest a soldier's funeral last Saturday. I wanted to go and counter-protest, but withdrawals from getting off my citalopram made me sick and I ended up staying in bed all day :(

Raistlin
09-25-2010, 02:46 AM
According to wiki, "Not today, Fred." is a popular one. Personally, I've always been a fan of "God Hates Figs." There are even flyers to pass out (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3360221228_244dcae3df.jpg)!

I'm sure you understand I have to use a "God Hates Fraggles" sign. Though I do now have the urge to swing by the law school tomorrow morning and print out some "God Hates Figs" flyers.

Shorty
09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
I would protest these lunatics if I ever got the chance. They are the most abominable human beings.

Clo, I think that's really awesome that you tried to actually block their signs.

Rye
09-25-2010, 01:48 PM
That's awesome. I like to see how peaceful protesters own those folks.

I don't believe they ever came in this area. I'd go to protest if they were.

PS: I read down too and thought they were coming to Ireland. Only Huxtable will get that

I got it!!

Raistlin
09-25-2010, 07:51 PM
So I just got back from the counter-protest, and will have pictures uploaded to post on Facebook and here within the next day or two. I carried a "God Hates Fraggles" sign, and my favorite sign there was from a fellow law student: "Zeus Hates Tall People" (on the other side he had "Zeus Hates Lightning Rods"). Together we spread our message along the roadside to very confused passerby. We even got interviewed by a local paper and a student paper (from William & Mary undergad), and I quoted the Bible to show that god really does hate Fraggles (though if I had realized I'd be interviewed I would have had more than one verse prepared). I also got my picture taken standing by some of the Phelpses.

One of the older people there (who was more there to show support for the funeral than to counter-protest the WBC) asked another law student if she would take his picture while he held an American flag in front of the WBC crowd. He said something like "Get those people behind me... those atheists are whatever." I was too shocked to respond right away, but my Zeus-worshiping companion piped up "Uh, those people clearly believe in God," motioning to their signs, almost all of which reference god or hell or some such superstition. His response: "Yeah I guess." I suppose it would shock him to know that the only atheists there would be on his side of the protest, but it was way too hot for me to argue with him (mid-90s, sunny, and humid).

Rye
09-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Sounds nice! Impressed that you could protest at all in that heat. I'd have wimped out.

Psychotic
09-25-2010, 08:08 PM
did you get lucky with one of the WBC?

this is important

Raistlin
09-25-2010, 08:11 PM
It was very hot, but we were only out there for an hour, so I sucked it up.

Oh, I also got talking to another local, who was maybe a bit older than most of us (late-20s, early 30s). He at first seemed typically religious and uneducated, and asked one of the police officers if they knew how much the WBC protesters were costing taxpayers in security and if he could sue them for it. I explained that couldn't happen, and allowing such suits would infringe on free speech... and he actually agreed and changed his mind! He agreed that it is certainly a lesser evil to allow such mindless bigots to speak out than to allow the government to inhibit their speech in any way. I was mildly impressed.

EDIT: Psy, there were a couple of younger brainwashed girls there, but they were turned off by the Fraggle hate. :( They clearly don't read the Bible very closely!

TyphoonThaReapa
09-25-2010, 11:29 PM
It was very hot, but we were only out there for an hour, so I sucked it up.

Oh, I also got talking to another local, who was maybe a bit older than most of us (late-20s, early 30s). He at first seemed typically religious and uneducated, and asked one of the police officers if they knew how much the WBC protesters were costing taxpayers in security and if he could sue them for it. I explained that couldn't happen, and allowing such suits would infringe on free speech... and he actually agreed and changed his mind! He agreed that it is certainly a lesser evil to allow such mindless bigots to speak out than to allow the government to inhibit their speech in any way. I was mildly impressed.

EDIT: Psy, there were a couple of younger brainwashed girls there, but they were turned off by the Fraggle hate. :( They clearly don't read the Bible very closely!

Damn, A'yo, we're gonna have to get some sluts from a strip club psy. Brainwashed chicks will simply not cut it...:roll2

Aerio
09-27-2010, 04:24 AM
They actually toured to my HIGH SCHOOL the year after I graduated. I was so upset that kind of drama didn't go down while I was there. I never was sure why they went to all the high schools in my district, it seemed random. Their website said something about being compliant and not standing up for true morality if I remember correctly.

DMKA
09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I wish WBC would come here. Right down into the fabulous Short North. It would be absolutely mesmerizing.

Dignified Pauper
10-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I am going to protest the WBC on Ohio State's campus tomorrow. Waking up at 6 to draw out my sign.

Definitely going to make a cloud connected by Rainbows and draw a crucified stick figure with a caption that says

"If you hang out with 12 dudes and have abs, you might be gay... or Jesus."

I also did the God Hates Figs sign with a passage from the Book of Spartacus. I was interviewed by the local ABC 6 news here in Columbus and apparently it wound up on TV.

EDIT FOR PICTURES!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/sign2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/sign1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/Lovebomb2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/LoveBomb.jpg

G13
10-05-2010, 04:13 AM
I see that Boba!

So apparently these people are coming here for some :bou::bou::bou::bou: or another. Protesting at our schools and churches :confused:. I'm thinking about going. Freya was telling me that another God Hates Fraggles sign would be pretty funny.

DMKA
10-05-2010, 04:26 AM
I am going to protest the WBC on Ohio State's campus tomorrow. Waking up at 6 to draw out my sign.

Definitely going to make a cloud connected by Rainbows and draw a crucified stick figure with a caption that says

I also did the God Hates Figs sign with a passage from the Book of Spartacus. I was interviewed by the local ABC 6 news here in Columbus and apparently it wound up on TV.
Did they come here?

Bunny
10-05-2010, 04:34 AM
I see that Boba!

So apparently these people are coming here for some :bou::bou::bou::bou: or another. Protesting at our schools and churches :confused:. I'm thinking about going. Freya was telling me that another God Hates Fraggles sign would be pretty funny.

God Hates Muggles.

Raistlin
10-05-2010, 05:04 AM
I see that Boba!

DO IT. The Fraggle hatred must be spread! You can also include this bit of Scripture: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." - Psalm 137:9. Obviously referring to Fraggles.

G13
10-05-2010, 05:08 AM
xD Well now I can't not do it. DP's picture has inspired me to also wear my Boba helmet to this shindig.

Shiny
10-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Crap, I hang out 12 men so I must be gay.

kotora
10-05-2010, 09:13 AM
What's this with the fraggle hate? Fraggle Rock was awesome.

Peegee
10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I see that Boba!

DO IT. The Fraggle hatred must be spread! You can also include this bit of Scripture: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." - Psalm 137:9. Obviously referring to Fraggles.

so that's what you were quoting! I was seriously led to believe the word fraggle was in the bible (and didn't bother to check). So when reporters asked you 'wtf?' you started quoting infanticide and parenting advice from the bible?

Raistlin
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
What's this with the fraggle hate? Fraggle Rock was awesome.

I never actually watched it. The "hate" is kind of an inside joke. A friend of mine started a website "God Hates Fraggles" (no longer used, sadly) in reference to the WBC's catch phrase "God Hates Fags."

so that's what you were quoting! I was seriously led to believe the word fraggle was in the bible (and didn't bother to check). So when reporters asked you 'wtf?' you started quoting infanticide and parenting advice from the bible?

Yes.

Laddy
10-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Come to Memphis!

NorthernChaosGod
10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Fuck Memphis.

Laddy
10-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Fuck you right in the Death Star!

NorthernChaosGod
10-11-2010, 05:20 AM
You sure you're man enough for that?

Laddy
10-11-2010, 05:54 AM
You know it.

Rye
10-11-2010, 01:50 PM

EDIT FOR PICTURES!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/sign2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/sign1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/Lovebomb2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/LoveBomb.jpg

BEST.

Tarshish
10-12-2010, 12:40 AM
They actually protested our law school last semester. We were having a symposium on the gay marriage issue. Our state (Iowa) recently legalized gay marriage and I think they thought it was an appropriate place to have it.

I chose not to counterprotest because a) it was very early on a Saturday and b) my own personal feeling (and understandably I know not everyone agrees with me) I feel the WBC just thrives off of the attention and if we just ignored them they would go away.

I do commend you for counterprotesting. I totally support everyone that does. I really can't stand those guys. I am eager to see how the Supreme Court comes down on the case they recently heard oral arguments for.

Raistlin
10-12-2010, 12:54 AM
I actually made a more serious thread in EoEO (http://forums.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/134595-fred-phelps-funeral-protests-court.html) to discuss that very case. As much as I disagree with absolutely everything the WBC is and stands for, I still have to side with them when it comes to the unconstitutionality of restricting their speech.