PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who gets irritated by this?

MJN SEIFER
09-25-2010, 11:47 PM
That people still call this FFIII? I know that how it was released in America, but that was like YEARS ago! And where I'm from the FFs were released in order, so I always knew it as FFVI. Even FFIV is really called FFII depite the fact it was marketed as in the US.

I'm just sick of it now. It's a mistake that has been corrected.

VeloZer0
09-26-2010, 03:12 AM
If you aren't actually a huge series fan and just played it as a kid I don't think it is unreasonable to not know. Not everyone who played videogames back in the 90s is plugged into the game media.

blackmage_nuke
09-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Ive never met anyone irl who's actually called it III

Lunatic_High
09-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Ive never met anyone irl who's actually called it III

Yep, same here I don't know anyone who has/does refer to them as II or III not VI or IV.

MJN SEIFER
09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
It's more online.

Most people I know IRL aren't American so they wouldn't call it FFIII.

VeloZer0
09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Exact opposite for me. I meet the occasional person IRL that will call it III, for the reasons mentioned above. Everyone who cares enough about the title enough to talk about it online is educated enough to know the difference, at least in my experience.

AntagonistGB
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
I haven't come across anyone in the past five or so years who's made that mistake. I think the last time I remember it would be when hunting for an FFIII rom and getting tons of ones for VI. But again, this was before IIIDS came out, so.

Roogle
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
I think that Square Enix has done everything it can to make up for that mistake. They have called the game by its true name in every subsequent release in North America and other territories. Isn't that all that they can do?

Rase
09-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Yes, you are. I couldn't care less if someone calls it III or VI, II or IV. If we're talking about it I just clarify if I don't know which they mean. "That's the one with Terra, right?", or whatever. I have enough to be irritated about, calling two videogames by their proper names is not high on my list.

KainHighwind
01-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Most people I talk to in real life have no idea what IV and VI are. For clarification, I will often refer to "The one with Cecil" or "The one with Terra and the Espers."

I don't like sounding like an elitist jerkwad, but I often find myself saying "You've never played the real II or III."

Depression Moon
01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
My health teacher I had last semester told me the best FF was II for the SNES. Since he called it that I assumed he didn't know that it was actually IV and I told him, respectfully though.

I said "Oh yeah I've played it. It's called IV now."

I think it's most likely that he didn't know. He seemed like a casual gamer to me and it didn't bother me really when he said it. That was the only instance that I came across in real life. I don't think Square should've ever did that in the beginning. It just caused confusion later on and they eventually they decided just to number them properly for America anyway.

bipper
01-15-2011, 12:22 AM
I call it final fantasy III still. I could give two :bou::bou::bou::bou:s, really. It is my favorite of all time.

I was playing it when it was released blew my face off. literally. Ok, figuratively.

Final fantasy VI does not hold the same value or care to me. It is not so bad that I look at someone who says Final Fantasy VI as though they used a racial slur. But I should. :mad2:

Maybe I do give two :bou::bou::bou::bou:s. You, sir, are wrong.

Otis_Glicker
02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
The only time I've actually encountered anyone calling it III is when I was at a party that was winding down and said "Well, I'm not tired. I'm putting on Final Fantasy VI". Someone saw the title screen and said "That's III" and I corrected them.

Setzer the Gambler
03-08-2011, 01:17 AM
I still call it FF3...
It's all about the nostalgia of it.

TaylorS
04-07-2012, 05:47 AM
I call it FF3 out of habit, being that I've had the game since it first came out on the SNES when I was 8 years old! :)

I'm almost 26 and I already feel like a geezer when in comes to video games, jeez...

Spooniest
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
It would be great if the thing had a subtitle. (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/794/)

Try it out, lemme know what you think.