PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bieber et al.

Yeargdribble
09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Why do people hate Justin Bieber so much? In what way does he have an effect on your every day life? I've seen backlash against the popular groups/artists that a certain demographic flock to by the opposite demographic, but there seems to be extra bile when it comes to Bieber.

You know what. Music is my profession. I ran around half a year with kids from K-12 before actually found out who Justin Bieber was. If I was so unaware while being surrounded by his demographic, then how is he so invasive into the lives of people to the point that they have to hate him and wish him ill? It's like people are going out of their way to find out about him so they can hate him.

And while this is specifically about Bieber, it stands generally for all artists. People seem to love finding an artist to hate. Lady Gaga is another great example that people love to pick on. Why? Because she's weird? I'd swear a lot of the same people who hate Gaga now respected Marilyn Manson for his artistic choices.

Rodarian
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Honestly I didn't know who Bieber until about nine months back..and about half way I found out that he was Canadian too..

I don't find him to my music taste, although his catchy lil phrase 'baby, baby' constantly rears its ugly head and haunts me (no thanks to my cousin :P )

However I won't go out of my way to trash for just because

Maybe most people just hate him out of jealously that he found a way to express his singing talent and a record producer actually manage to come across him on the net and made him what he is now.....

As far as Lady Gaga goes, I respect her cause she ACTUALLY did work hard to reach this level of fame and if her kooky outlandish is part of her mantra, so be it.....

I find Marylin Manson far more creepy than Gaga (actually it more has to do with his contact lenses which I'm uncomfortable with)

A person I also dislike for his insatiable ego is Kayne West..Yes some of his music is good, but him declaring himself to the voice of my generation is really overstepping his abilities as an artist...

The only person I would out right mock is the late MJ....He was handsome black man and wasn't so bad when he did the black and white album...The level of mutilation he did with his face (for what ever reason) made look like a for a lack of better word...a freak....Someone really should have stopped him from doing all that..

I also find that people just get on the bandwagon when they see that mocking someone is far more interesting than actually listening to their music.A form of social bullying I suppose..

Pheesh
09-28-2010, 08:33 AM
The most popular 'pop artists' are simply the easiest to pick on because everybody has heard about them. I personally believe that it's not so much bieber/gaga etc. but just record companies in general that are the culprits, and in my eyes they've basically killed 'real' music (for the sake of discussion I guess I'd call real music the kind that doesn't have auto-tune and scripted live shows that are more about the dancing and costumes than the actual music). It's easier to say "Man, Justin Bieber really sucks" than it is to say "Man, Joe Blow, the head of Sony BMG, really sucks" because no one knows who that guy is.

They give you singers like Kesha and T-Pain who actually make their money from having voices that are obviously auto-tuned and on the other side of the spectrum you're given a band like Kings of Leon or Paramore who are presented as your only non-pop alternative. Then actual hard working bands have to work twice as hard just to make it to a point in their career where they may be able to make enough to survive off of their music. Justin Bieber didn't deserve to be discovered any more than probably 1 million other 'actual' bands that have put themselves on Youtube.

And Marilyn Manson, despite whatever stylistic choices he may make, has a voice that could probably strip Lady Gaga of her skin, and I'd probably say that to anyone who was trying to compare the two.

blackmage_nuke
09-28-2010, 09:43 AM
The mental image of teenagers rolling around in piles of money while I slave away makes me nauseas

I dont go out of my way to insult him though.

Rantz
09-28-2010, 09:50 AM
It's easy to despise those who made it big if you don't consider them to have any talent. You can dislike performers because they're not to your taste without hating them - but it's easy to make way for hate when you don't consider them to have any right to their glorified position.

Badge
09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I spend my time loving the artists I like instead of wasting time hating the artists I don't like. Being in music every day of your life makes you realise you need to respect music whether you like it or don't. It's a hard industry to crack. :)

Meat Puppet
09-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Counterculture is cool.

Cuchulainn
09-28-2010, 11:00 AM
cause he's a little twat?

kotora
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
cause he's a little twat?

that and what eternal essence said about hating the record label CEOs.

Elly
09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Bieber just really annoys me cause i don't like his brand of pop anyway, and i can't escape from it because his songs are always playing on the radio at work... he got too popular too quickly and that just made him annoying through overexposure, anyway after his voice cracks his career is over, just look at all the little kid stars of the past, it's gonna happen...

Peegee
09-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Bieber just really annoys me cause i don't like his brand of pop anyway, and i can't escape from it because his songs are always playing on the radio at work... he got too popular too quickly and that just made him annoying through overexposure, anyway after his voice cracks his career is over, just look at all the little kid stars of the past, it's gonna happen...

I don't see him becoming a producer, so there's hope.

Why do I hate? I don't hate - I just dislike his brand of music. He's 4 years old and singing about love and girls; can you really take that seriously?

There's no other reason for me. When you start comparing his musical talent / skills versus other people, it becomes apples vs oranges. To me it's always going to be that he has no credibility.

DMKA
09-29-2010, 02:18 AM
I assume it's for the same reason everyone hated N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees when I was in middle/high school.

Cuchulainn
09-29-2010, 02:22 AM
I assume it's for the same reason everyone hated N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees when I was in middle/high school.

Because they're souless, manufactured garbage who's sole purpose in the industry is to make money instead of making people think, making people inspired or making people feel something beyond a catchy hook.

DMKA
09-29-2010, 02:27 AM

Because they're souless, manufactured garbage who's sole purpose in the industry is to make money instead of making people think, making people inspired or making people feel something beyond a catchy hook.

No, because "HURR GAY GAY GAY THEY SING GURRRRLY MUSIC LOOK HOW MANY GURRLS LIKE THEM GAY" etc.

Not that you don't have a valid point or that I'm disagreeing, but that's certainly not why everyone at my school couldn't stop bashing N'Sync and calling them talentless as they were listening to the latest Korn or Blink 182 album with glowing pride.

NorthernChaosGod
09-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Everything is better than soulless pop music.

Dreddz
09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I think its a bit out of hand really. Justin Bieber is actually quite talented and I have no idea why he shouldn't pursue his dream if he can. Fair enough, I can understand why people wouldn't like his music but to have a personal vendetta against him is a bit extreme.

I think his music is ok for what it is. Plus he seems genuinely nice. No qualms with him whatsoever.

black orb
09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
>>> The guy is rich, Im not..:luca:

Thats reason enough to hate a person..

DMKA
09-30-2010, 03:42 AM
There's also the fact that he doesn't know what German is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7YFndtcfA)

Madame Adequate
09-30-2010, 05:01 AM
It's because he makes more money in a single show than most people make in five years. There's plenty of artists I dislike but I don't get wound up with people liking other artists or disliking things I like, but then I'm not an insecure moron with no sense of self. If people want to make derpy claims they're free to do so, and if they want to hold opinions based on what opinions other people hold they're free to do so, doesn't make any odds to me. There's stuff I see every day, and have seen in this thread, that I think is irrefutably and objectively wrong, but I'm not actually going to get anywhere by telling people that so why bother?

I will say that I believe one of the most pernicious attitudes in the modern arts and entertainment world is that everything has to have some deep meaning to be worthwhile, or that there is some inevitable and immutable contradiction between profit and provocation, or that showmanship is not in itself rich with potential to be completely awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vWWYmB9sY).

Pheesh
09-30-2010, 05:17 AM
I will say that I believe one of the most pernicious attitudes in the modern arts and entertainment world is that everything has to have some deep meaning to be worthwhile, or that there is some inevitable and immutable contradiction between profit and provocation, or that showmanship is not in itself rich with potential to be completely awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vWWYmB9sY).

I don't think the music has to have a deep meaning to be worthwhile, but it should actually contribute something to the art-form in order for it to be considered anything but a money making tactic. Also, if by showmanship you mean provocatively dressed tweens dancing with other provocatively dressed tweens then I'm afraid I have to disagree.

EDIT: I just saw the link you posted, I'll add this to my comments; there is always room for a stage show in music, especially in pop music because no one really wants to watch what the band is doing (when there is a band), so they need to have something to occupy and captivate the audience, which is fine. But dancing and costumes should always come second and doesn't excuse mediocre music, and in the same vein, having those performance aspects doesn't make you a better musician. That would be like saying WWE athletes are good 'wrestlers'; sure they leap through the air and look menacing and are probably very fit, but they're limited in what actual wrestling ability they have.

Madame Adequate
09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't see anything wrong with an artist being/pursuing a money-making tactic, or with people enjoying one, so I suppose this whole thing is lost on me.

NorthernChaosGod
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
There's also the fact that he doesn't know what German is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7YFndtcfA)
I... what? :confused:

Bunny
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Has this (http://www.theonion.com/video/justin-bieber-found-to-be-cleverly-disguised-51yea,18178/)been posted yet?

Raistlin
09-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't think the music has to have a deep meaning to be worthwhile, but it should actually contribute something to the art-form in order for it to be considered anything but a money making tactic.

I have to agree with MILF here. What is wrong with someone's main (or even sole) motivation for their choice in livelihood being to make money? Isn't that the whole point of jobs for the majority of people everywhere? It seems to be a ridiculous double-standard that once someone reaches an arbitrary level of fame they become morally obligated to have more altruistic or "meaningful" goals.

Wow, that is a scary level of stupid.

Pheesh
10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't think the music has to have a deep meaning to be worthwhile, but it should actually contribute something to the art-form in order for it to be considered anything but a money making tactic.

I have to agree with MILF here. What is wrong with someone's main (or even sole) motivation for their choice in livelihood being to make money? Isn't that the whole point of jobs for the majority of people everywhere? It seems to be a ridiculous double-standard that once someone reaches an arbitrary level of fame they become morally obligated to have more altruistic or "meaningful" goals.

Nothing what-so-ever wrong with it, but let's not treat the kid like he's actually a good musician deserving of musical respect just because he's rich. Ha made his money because he's a record company fueled, singing and dancing machine that appeals to the biggest market in pop music: screaming tweenage girls. I don't care if he's rich (so long as not a single cent in his pocket has come from me), but I do care when people decide that just because he is rich that he's somehow a good musician.

Raistlin
10-01-2010, 04:52 PM
No one's saying you should like or respect him because he's rich (and I don't do either, personally). Wealth is a pretty irrational reason to like someone's music. On that same vein, popularity is a similarly irrational reason to dislike someone's music.

That being said, I think he's likely just another girly pop fad that will be unheard of in 5 years. This is nothing new.

Pheesh
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Just to be clear, I dislike his music because to me it barely constitutes music, not because it's popular (although the fact that it's popular will always confuse me).

I agree with your last statement though.

Cuchulainn
10-01-2010, 05:04 PM
No one's saying you should like or respect him because he's rich (and I don't do either, personally). Wealth is a pretty irrational reason to like someone's music. On that same vein, popularity is a similarly irrational reason to dislike someone's music.

That being said, I think he's likely just another girly pop fad that will be unheard of in 5 years. This is nothing new.

Of course. It's manufactured souless garbage. Despite certain people pretending to know EXACTLY people motives for not liking him, that is pretty much what most people will tell you.

Like you say he'll be gone soon enough & I can't wait for his meltdown with hidden camera pictures of him sniffing coke off a male prostitutes arse. Should be funsies.

Peegee
10-01-2010, 06:54 PM
http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/10dur78.jpg

Rantz
10-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Is that a real quote? xD

Raistlin
10-02-2010, 02:13 AM
A quick Google search revealed that it's probably fake (http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/09/post-42.html). However, that article includes some noteworthy real quotes.

Bastian
10-02-2010, 03:30 AM
I don't hate him. I know next to nothing about him except that someone threw a water bottle at him at a concert or something. And I have never heard his music, so I can't say that I hate it.

But the reason why people like me are so . . . offended, I guess? . . . by his music is because mainstream music, and especially pop music, does not exemplify what music means to us. Most mainstream music is written by committee. The producer's job is to try to make it sound like something you've already heard so that it will sooth you with its familiarity.

People like me require a new artist or new song to be doing something unique. It needs to have something new going on. Pop stars by definition are attempting to appeal to the populous. They are not risk takers in the music industry. Their music is written for them like a mathematical formula to appeal to the most amount of people, and in so doing loses any soul it may have ever at any point had.

Too many cooks in the kitchen, and all that.

It's not Bieber's fault. He's too young to understand what's actually going on. All he knew is that he wanted to be famous and now he is.

And that's a huge part of the problem with the music industry these days: it's built on people who want to be famous. The household names by and large have very little interest in music itself, they just want the fame and the money.

You might ask: who are we to judge them? If fame is their true route to happiness, why should we condemn them for it?

Because the music they are making is counterfeit. And music, and the arts in general, should strive to be more than a money-making-game.

So the anger and hatred that you hear towards him and Lady Gaga (and Britney and Backstreet Boys, and New Kids on the Block, and even as far back as the Monkees) is because people are angry not really at those people in the groups, but at what they see as a deterioration of music as an art form. They see the masses suckling the teats of pop and mainstream music and look at that with such disgust in the same way one would to see a morbidly obese person eating plate after plate of french fries. There's no substance there, and they are just making themselves fatter.

tl;dr: we don't hate the playa, we hate the game.

McLovin'
10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Bastian is right.

Also Justin Bieber seems like a huge faggot.