PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man Legends 3 Is Coming to the 3DS

Crossblades
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
RPGamer - News Bulletin - Mega Man Legends 3 Is Coming to the 3DS (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2010/092910e.html)

After a very long wait for fans of the series, Capcom has finally announced that Mega Man Legends 3 is under development and will be released for the Nintendo 3DS. Capcom hasn't released much information about the game yet, but they have put up some messages from Keiji Inafune, the creator of the Mega Man series, and Masakazu Eguchi, the game's director, on Capcom-unity.com.

One thing that has been mentioned about the game in Keiji Inafune's message and on Twitter is that the creators hope to involve fans in the game's development in some way. For now, it isn't clear what form this involvement will take, but more information about both this and the game itself will be revealed at New York Comic Con, which will be taking place in early October.

VeloZer0
10-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Funny, MML came up in conversation during my carpool home today. I just made a resolution to finally get into the first one.

I'm I MM series fan, so people are always taken aback that I have never played MML, the impending release of MML3 might be the kick in the pants I need.

qwertysaur
10-01-2010, 03:55 AM
It's about time... Servebots are so much fun and I can't wait to kick them randomly. :bigsmile:

Wolf Kanno
10-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Finally :colbert:

I'm personally just surprised by all the great games the 3DS is lining up for in the next few years. I probably have more titles I'm looking forward to on this system than I do on systems I own.

Bolivar
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry, but this announcement was the final straw, a part of a larger story concerning the 3DS which I simply find disgusting as a games consumer.

So the last few years Nintendo has been having a blast, moving to the very outer edge of the periphery of video games, making fitness programs and sports minigame compilations with terrible motion controls. And the media has worked very, very hard to make damn sure we all know just how much money they were making doing it.

But now that they've committed to a system they (most likely) have to sell at a loss, they can't rely on a demographic that will only buy 1-3 games per lifecycle. They need all of us, who buy many video games a year, to come back to them and give them money, so they go out and find out what kind of things we like and now want to create this vacuum where all this great content is going to one place.

I love Mega Man Legends. And MML2. They're two of my favorite games from the Playstation, a big part of my child hood. It sickens me to see it a big part of Nintendo's marketing scheme because they've switched their business model and suddenly give a :bou::bou::bou::bou: about us.

ANOTHER thing that really sucks is that the long awaited sequel in the Mega Man Legends universe is finally coming.... to a handheld. Games like MML were made to be played on a TV, much like Metal Gear Solid 3 (ohohooo).

Speaking of Metal Gear Solid 3, I already have that game. I have it with Dolby Digital Surround Sound. I have it with four trigger buttons. Two analog sticks. Pressure sensitivity with the buttons! I'd rather have Kojima-san making Metal Gear Solid 6, or better yet, inventing a new genre, instead of creating a 3D remake with inferior gameplay, graphics, and sound.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time ever Kojima has gone back and done a remake instead of creating a new game.

By the way, Nintendo are touting how the machine is so powerful that they can get real ports of console games, using SSFIV as an example... is that going to work both ways? Are we going to get the new Driver game and MML3 on the 360 & PS3? What about MGS3D, since PS3 natively does 3D and developers like Crytek are pulling it off on the 360 anyway?

I know this is just a system making a lot of games I want to play but I've been so over Nintendo for the last few years, especially recently with releasing a mediocre Metroid game (which the media shoved down our throats as awesome at E3 '09), asking people to send in save files to be corrected by Nintendo, and what they're handling the whole Goldeneye situation.

VeloZer0
10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree that it is obvious that Nintendo is a soulless money grubbing corporation, but who cares? If they make games I like I will buy them, if they make games I don't like I won't buy them.

ljkkjlcm9
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Damned if they do, Damned if they don't...

For years all I heard was how Nintendo only had first party games, no third party support, yadda yadda. Now, they have tons of third party support again, and they're wrong for doing so? I doubt they will have to sell the 3DS at a loss either, it just may be more expensive than you're used to buying from Nintendo. If comparing to the Japanese price, it would be $300 dollars in the US.

As for complaining about MML3 coming to the system... it's been 10 years since the last one. It really doesn't matter what system it comes to. It's getting a sequel, finally. I never did play the 2nd, and only played the first as "Megaman 64." It's not like Valkyria Chronicles however where the first was released on the PS3, and in the same generation the next 2 are on the PSP. There has been MULTIPLE generations between MML2 and MML3. So get off your Nintendo hating high horse. This "mediocre" Metroid you're complaining about, I am enjoying quite a bit as I finally get to play through it completely, and I'm hardly the only one.

As for the remake... well if I remember correctly, a great number of GBA and even some DS games were complete remakes of SNES games. It only makes sense that now, the next generation of handheld, is remaking N64 and PS games. You may already own that game, but not everyone does. Also, Nintendo is not the one saying anything about full ports, that was Capcom saying they're glad they can do a full port to a portable. Secondly, it's far cheaper to develop on a portable system than a full HD system. It's the reason the Valkyria Chronicles games went to the portable. Plus, it's pretty much fact that the 3DS will sell, so they'll reach a very large audience with it.

Essentially, if they did another minor update to the DS, they'd be just trying to steal people's money, with no real advances. Still catering to casual gamers (which their portables have always had plenty for hardcore gamers), and just doing their thing. But now that they're trying to make a big jump, they're also trying to steal people's money, and "piss off" the hardcore audience that their portable has always catered to?

Honestly? Get over yourself. Either buy the system and play the games, or skip it and miss the games. It's a decision you have to make. I missed plenty of great games on the PSP and PS2 because I chose not to buy those systems. I hated missing the games, but it was my choice. Go ahead, choose not to buy a 3DS, but don't blame Nintendo for your choice. You can just as easily go buy it if you want the games.

THE JACKEL

Ouch!
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
The 3DS is already looking to have an absolutely stellar line-up of games for its early life, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about a number of other systems. This is a good thing. Stop whining.

Bolivar
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
1) Smurf Nintendo
2) Smurf you, too, Jackal, for defending them!!!

JUST KIDDING

seriously, though, lemme say, first, you got my confused with someone else off the bat. I'm not someone who's complained about 3rd party support for Nintendo - that has little to do with the value of a console. The PS3's value is largely predicated on the sheer scope and effort of its 1st Party Games, and part of why Microsoft doubled up this generation is because of their partnerships through Microsoft Games Studios with independent developers like Bioware and Epic. So it's not "Damned if they do, damned if they don't..." it's "Nintendo has been trying its hardest to send this medium to Damnation for the last 4 years"

Also, I'll admit that the issue of whether it comes to home or handheld does not necessarily reflect the quality of MML3. Peace Walker and 4 Heroes of Light are good recent examples of installments in a franchise made specifically for a portable ending up good. BUT it's not unreasonable for someone who's been waiting this long for the game to be disappointed about it being handheld. Hell, I was disappointed at first when VC2 (and now 3) went to PSP, but that quickly subsided because they did a hell of a job in making a great game on the PSP. So don't mischaracterize me as saying MML3 HAS NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER OF ESCAPING MEDIOCRITY because it's normal to be disappointed in its status, especially if you've been waiting as long as I have.

As for the remakes, I'm not talking about remakes in general or "that game" I'm talking about Metal Gear Solid Smurfing 3. Again, why are you unwilling to accept that someone can be disappointed that their favorite game director is, for the first time ever, revisiting one of his older titles and downgrading the graphics, sound, and gameplay in order to do it again in 3D? Wouldn't you much rather have a new game, a new franchise, or knowing Kojima, a new genre in gaming??? Would you really rather have just some port to help sell a system to a demographic that has been completely disregarded for the last few years?

(also you're right about Capcom saying that about the "perfect ports" not Nintendo).

I guess my sentiments are more about Nintendo than Mega Man Legends 3. AND i know Nintendo has always made "hardcore" (let's not use that word anymore) games on their handhelds, hell, I'm most likely going to be playing Pokemon Heart Gold on my DS Lite tonight... I just think its quite frankly insulting that they pull out all these crowd pleasers to win us back to their system they've already committed to.

And as far as "buy it or don't buy it" I own plenty of Nintendo systems and may very well end up buying one. But this is a forum, this is a place to voice opinions, and if you'd rather them be settled at the cash register, you've made a strange decision in coming here.

Vyk
10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I never played the first two :( I've always been interested. Maybe its time to download them and put them on my PSP

Wolf Kanno
10-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Well I disagree with you (when do I not? ;) ) about MGS3D and about Nintendo finally getting great 3rd party support.

First, MGS3D actually looks really good. I'm sure if we put a side by side comparison we could see that its possibly inferior but I sure as hell can't really see a major downgrade.

33676 33677

It sure is looking better than Peace Walker and that's saying something cause Peace Walker is a gorgeous game. You also shouldn't underestimate Kojima and his anal retentiveness in terms of making high quality games. Personally, I'm happy to have a portable version of MGS3 which is my all time favorite game. The fact it looks like it will play like Peace Walker is an added bonus cause it means we'll be transferring to a system we know that works as opposed to us wondering how they will incorporate MGS3's complex controls to a handheld device.

Yes, I want Kojima to make new titles, hell I wish he would stop making MGS games cause I'm concerned the series will get so large and vast its cool factor gets lost underneath its bloat and history like Final Fantasy, Mario Bros., and Ultima; but Konami and the fans keep asking and Kojima really can't say no.

Still, thanks to the scenario and stages being mostly already set up, the port will allow Kojima to explore the technology better and I feel seeing Kojima's track record that MGS3D will most likely be the system that will set the standard for how games should be made on the system. I have more faith in his ability than Nintendo at this point in time.

Secondly, Nintendo is finally making a game platform that has great third party support and games that, for the most part, cater more towards the "serious" (more like old and jaded) gamer. Which is what everyone has been asking them to do for years and now you say we should just spit in their eye and be done with them, now that they are actually caving into gamers demands? Hate to see you at negotiation tables. ;)

Personally, its this line of thinking that makes me a person who is more loyal to my third party developers, who as far as I concern, shouldn't be buddy buddy with any of the Big 3. It lets you ignore the silly console debates and when crap goes multi-platform, its a good thing as opposed to a "OMG! YOU TRA1TORS!!! I R KILL U GWARGH!!!!" which frankly is a silly way to look at a medium that is created for passive entertainment.

I don't care that its on the 3DS personally, I don't really give a smurf about 3D and think its a silly trend turned mainstream interest that honestly doesn't add much to games beyond cinematics. When I buy the 3DS it will be because of a portable MGS3, a new MegaTen game, a new Persona game, and MML3 (probably no to SSFIV but that's because I never felt like traditional fighting games translate well to handhelds and this has more to do with the design of the handhelds than the quality they put out) so for the most part I could care less its Nintendo, I don't buy games for their systems cause I like them I buy their games cause those are the games I like and it happens to be on their system.

Thirdly, I think its time we stop this silly nonsense that handhelds are second class consoles that will never surpass their home console brethren. Seriously, I feel the PSP and DS have better libraries than all three current consoles combined and I feel ever since the GBA and hell ever since Pokemon tbh, handhelds are now on equal terms of creating original entertaining games that are easily on par in terms of being fun, innovative, and beautifully design as their console brothers. The GBA was literally a portable Super Nintendo which is regarded by some as one of the greatest consoles of all time, the DS can pull of N64/PS1 capabilities and now the 3DE is proving to be on par with a PS2. We're talking about a handheld that is almost as powerful as a console that people still play today.

They may not have long ass cinematic cutscenes (though that's been changing lately) but in terms of gameplay content and fun factor I would argue they surpass some of the over bloated psuedo-realistic looking cousins on major consols and you know what? They sell just as well and were made cheaper cause no one expects a handheld game to have to drop a few million dollars into the title in order to be satisfactory to the finicky palate of modern gamers. Maybe with some PSP franchises but honestly I think their most interesting titles are games that appear to have been built by guys in the mail room, at the game company, while no one was looking. Handhelds are becoming a better investment and that why I think were' seeing more comapanies making more fun and creative games on these handheld systems over the consoles. SE has more handheld games in development right now than console titles. Its becoming the better medium to create games cause its inexpensive and lacks the outrageously high expectations that gamers have created for major consoles. *ends handheld rant*

VeloZer0
10-02-2010, 07:03 AM
I don't care that its on the 3DS personally,....

Thirdly, I think its time we stop this silly nonsense that handhelds are second class consoles that will never surpass their home console brethren. Seriously, I feel the PSP and DS have better libraries than all three current consoles combined...
The only problem is being curled up playing a handheld is for me a vastly inferior experience to stretching out on a couch and playing on a TV. :D
Other than that you are spot on.

Vyk
10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I'd have to agree for the most part. Hand-helds tend to have more of the niche games that genuine gamers tend to enjoy more. Which I love. I just wish I still loved gaming enough in general to take advantage of that. But I keep trying. And generally where I try is with my PSP. Which right now has like 25 years of gaming gold on it so its slightly overwhelming. But there's an off-topic plus for handhelds. The DS and PSP were way more easily hacked than any console. That broke their boundaries and made them even better. But that honestly hardly has to do with anything lol

Rase
10-02-2010, 06:44 PM
The only problem is being curled up playing a handheld is for me a vastly inferior experience to stretching out on a couch and playing on a TV. :D
Oh man, I'm the exact opposite. I love just curling up on a couch or laying in bed playing my DS (Etrian Odyssey III = <3)

Anyway, never played Megaman Legends and don't particularly care. My DS Phat is still working fine, so it'll be a while before I get a 3DS. Always nice to see new games though.

Wolf Kanno
10-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm with Rase here, I like curling up on a couch or in my bed to play some handheld goodness and the best part is, if I have to leave, I can take it with instead of having to figure out when I'll have time to get back to it. Its probably the reason why I have a better track record of finishing my handheld games over my console ones.

Not that I hate my consoles or anything but its getting to a point where I actually have to make time to sit down and play them cause I'm getting busier.

KentaRawr!
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
From what I hear, for the 3DS's 3D effect to work, you need to be sitting in a very specific position. No curling for you guys. :p

Rase
10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Pfft, I think it just has to be a certain distance from your face or whatever. I will find a way to play it comfortably.

VeloZer0
10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
I really couldn't give a damn about the 3D effect one way or the other. As long as the graphics are attractive and the gameplay is good that is all that matters.

JKTrix
10-07-2010, 02:03 AM
The 3DS has a slider on it that basically lets you pick 'How Much 3D' something is. I think this can also in effect be used like the focus on a camera, where you hold it where you are comfortable and then 'focus' the 3D effect so that it works where you are looking at it.

And for the haters, Nintendo is forcing everyone to have their games playable in 2D. The slider lets you turn the 3D effects off completely.

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 02:29 AM
People have been waiting 10 years for this game, and they put it on a hand-held system way overpriced due to an unnecessary gimmick.

It'd be entertaining if it wasn't so sad. (Or would it be sad if it was so entertaining?)

Vermachtnis
10-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Wow you people complain too much, this is awesome news. And you can vote on the heroine design here. (http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2010/10/10/vote_for_your_favorite_design_in_the_mega_man_legends_3_heroine_contest!)

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm guessing they are complaining because they don't want to spend 300-plus to play a game they've been waiting 10 years for.

But I could be wrong.

Rase
10-11-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm guessing they are complaining because they don't want to spend 300-plus to play a game they've been waiting 10 years for.

But I could be wrong.
Which would happen if you didn't own whatever system it was coming out on anyway. People need to suck it up and be happy that a game they wanted is coming out rather than switching their complaining to a different reason. If they want to play a game on a system, buy said system. Not enough of a reason? Don't buy it then. Gee, that was simple.

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't work for a living and still rely on parental financing.

And to be nice and answer your question: There's a big difference of spending 300 on a hand-held machine than 300 on a home console with its added functions. Not to mention the home consoles have a great existing software library. With the 3-DS you're more or less buying the product at day one's price tag for one or two games. "More bang for your buck" and all. Most people can't afford to buy multiple systems, and I think you would agree it makes more sense to buy a PS3, 360, or Wii over a 3-DS.

ljkkjlcm9
10-14-2010, 01:08 AM
I would buy a DS before a Wii/360/PS3 due to it's library. So a 3DS that plays those games, plus whatever new games it will be getting (and there are lots of big names on the list), is certainly a good selling point, especially if you don't have a DS at all. You're not starting with no library, you're starting with the entire AMAZING library that the DS has. Plus the systems are usually cheaper in the US compared to Japan.

THE JACKEL

VeloZer0
10-14-2010, 01:48 AM
In my experience it is the people who have full time jobs and work for a living who can afford to get whatever console they want.

And a PS3 on release was much more than the 3DS will be.

Polnareff
10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
There's actually a very good reason this game is on the 3DS. Namely, that MML is a franchise that historically has not sold very well, and Inafune stated he needed around 15 million US dollars to make the third one on a current-gen console, but Capcom wouldn't fund him (understandable, considering the first 2 were niche games, not to mention Misadventures of Tron Bonne).

Capcom would frankly have to be clinically insane to make the game for an HD system, IMO.

And have you SEEN the graphics on the 3DS? They can really make MML3 look awesome. Not to mention with all the hype for the 3DS, plus the fact that it'll sell like hotcakes because it's a Nintendo handheld, really makes it to where MML3 has a good shot at finally making the series a household name.

Anyway it's kinda sad that the topic isn't about MML3 right now but a bunch of pointless, unfounded whining over what platform the game's gonna be on. I'd expect that from GameFAQs for sure, but not here. :|

There's a contest going on right now where some artists (some from Capcom, some from other companies) are designing the new female character, Lily, and we have to vote for the best design. Of note is that even Tatsuya Yoshikawa has gotten in on it (he did the artwork for the Breath of Fire series and some of the newer Mega Man games) which is way cool. It's on Capcom-Unity somewhere. If I get some time later I'll throw the link up here.

MML was a huge part of my childhood. I've played each game through so many times that it shouldn't be legal, and to see this third game finally being made and picking up where the second left off is just awesome.

Capcom is also looking into re-releasing MML1 and 2 on PSN but have to iron out some stuff with the voice actors first before they can do it. So there's also that to look forward to.

Here's some early build footage of MML3:
YouTube - Mega Man Legends 3 gameplay footage on PaulGaleNetwork.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwoFCrABKFM)

For the sake of backing up my earlier words, here's the interview with Keiji Inafune where he mentions needing a huge budget to make MML3:
YouTube - Megaman Legends 3? | A Suprise Interview with Keji Inafune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJdtTBVfsRs&feature=related)

Vyk
10-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Anyway it's kinda sad that the topic isn't about MML3 right now but a bunch of pointless, unfounded whining over what platform the game's gonna be on. I'd expect that from GameFAQs for sure, but not here. :|

I blame the economy. A lot of gamers are struggling to keep up with the times. Possibly worse than ever. I, personally, haven't legitimately bought a new game since Fallout 3. And seriously can't afford to multi-console. Especially when in question of consoles and handhelds combined

JKTrix
10-15-2010, 12:30 AM
People need to get over the $300 thing until Nintendo USA actually announces the price. $300 just happens to be the conversion rate of 25,000 Yen to the US Dollar right now.

If we got Japanese games/systems for the same price as they cost in Japan, we would be paying about $60 for Pokemon Black/White when it comes out here. Because those games cost 4800 yen when they first came out, and that converts to around $58.

Luckily that's not how international video game prices work. However, I will agree that even at the more likely cost of $250, the 3DS will be a hard sell to people who already have a handheld prejudice.

On-Topic though, and as Vermachtnis alluded to, they're doing something kind of interesting with this game. Fans have been requesting a 3rd Legends for a long time, so Capcom is letting fans decide certain things that will go in the game. They haven't gone into much detail about it, but currently you can vote on what the game's heroine will look like. You will need an account for their Capcom Unity site to participate.

All of these voting opportunities will be located here:
Capcom Devroom (http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom)

The final vote tallies will be a combination of the results from this site for 'Westerners', and the Japanese community site.