PDA

View Full Version : I finally know that it probablyWASN'T a hint.

MJN SEIFER
10-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I always thought that the line "Whatever you say, I won't age a day... was a hint to another character in the game. I asked your opinion time and time again, and no one answered me :(.

However, I have looked at a site that transaltes the Japanese version, to English - they never use that line in the Japanese version - so unless Woosley was clever enough to think of a piece of foreshadowing all on his own, that is just a random lyric to a song, with no meaning to the storyline. Shame really.

Wolf Kanno
10-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Woosley's song lyrics are mostly made up due to the character limit at the time making it impossible to accurately translate the song, not to mention it wouldn't have gone well with the music. Though many fans have speculated that he did write the lyrics in a way to be relevant to Celes and Locke's relationship but I think that is mostly just LockeXCeles fans trying to add some "destiny" shenanigans to their relationship and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Despite all this, I really do like Woosley's lyrics for the song. He really did a good job considering the circumstances.

blackmage_nuke
10-02-2010, 04:24 AM
I do prefer certain parts of the snes version over the GBA version...

AntagonistGB
10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I prefer the GBA version of the song, but Woosley did a surprisingly good job considering the limitations at the time.

Sarah Shirato
10-03-2010, 04:03 AM
the GBA song line was accuate compaired to the SuperNES verison. at least,the GBA verison makes sence.

Mirage
10-03-2010, 05:17 AM
Woolsey 4 life

Roogle
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes, I believe that Ted Woolsey performed an adequate localization of the opera at the time of the original release of the game.

Times have changed a lot.

MJN SEIFER
10-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I personally think Woosely's lyrics were pretty good.

The only thing I don't like about the FFVI translation is that sometimes things would have the opposite meaning; The Returners were actually telling the Narshe people to "shed blood" not accusing them of encouraging it, Setzer HATES the empire becuase they STOPPED him from making money - the translation tells us the opposite, and then there's Celes "jumping for fun" in the WoR. People complain about VII's translation? They got some words wrong, made some spelling errors, and had bad comuications - I don't think they ever got things backwards. (This isn't a "VII = Good VI = Bad" thing becuase I love both games). It's always fun to see how things are translated, but it is so easy to get wrong if you don't run back checks - this is probably why VI got a few things opposite (they didn't check the character's history), and why VII's items change names in Battle, Dialogue, and Menu (not all of them, just some of them).

Wolf Kanno
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
If you think VI's translation is bad, check out the original English translation of FFIV on the SNES. That makes VI's translation look like a literary masterpiece and Ted Woosely a literary genius.

As for people whining about VII's translation, I think a lot has to do with it being the last FF to have a real shoddy translation that doesn't have an updated script to fall back on. With the GBA versions of the SNES era, and with Tactics having its revamped port on the PSP, VII is the last entry with a notably bad translation. Granted I'm sure VIII-X could all use revamped scripts but its not like they are noticeably bad beyond an awkward line here and there.

Roogle
10-06-2010, 07:44 PM
If you think VI's translation is bad, check out the original English translation of FFIV on the SNES. That makes VI's translation look like a literary masterpiece and Ted Woosely a literary genius.

Necronopticous made a topic covering the Final Fantasy IV translation in a mocking commentary: Final Fantasy IV - Ah, The Power of Cheese (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-archive/52054-final-fantasy-iv-ah-power-cheese.html)

Ted Woolsey was able to keep a sense of personality consistent among characters. I feel like his translation was a true localization even if it is not up to today's higher standards.