PDA

View Full Version : Hi and which in your opinion is the best portable gaming system for RPG's

TheGrayGandalf
10-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Just new here so hi to all.. Now to business.. I really enjoy the Final Fantasy series and other RPG's so I would like to know what portable will support the largest number of these games?

Thanks for the advice and hope you all have a good day...

TGG

Rye
10-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Welcome to EoFF. :) I've moved this to general gaming, because that's where we discussing all sorts of gaming, like RPGs!

Jessweeee♪
10-03-2010, 01:47 AM
They both have a lot of great choices, but I guess if I had to choose one, I'd go with the PSP. You can download FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX onto it from PSN, there's also Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep, Persona 3 Portable, tons of stuff!

But if you're more of a retro nut, the DS might be a better choice. It just depends, I guess!

Yeargdribble
10-03-2010, 02:13 AM
COMIC SANS!!

I really don't think you can miss with either system. Both are perfect, but I mostly agree with Jess. It depends on the types of RPGs you're into. For some the Etrian Odyssey games are unmissable. For others it's the Persona stuff. You've got the PSN library for PSP, but emulation is a tad easier on DS (not that any of us would do that :| ) if you want to play lots of old classics portably.

If you've gotta make a decision between the two, since they are both so RPG awesome, check into the other types of games you like to help break the tie. A lot of people are unhappy in general with the PSP library (though I'm not). There are certainly more games for the DS and if you have a wider breadth of interest that might help make the choice. If you like portable media and don't have a device that gives you that option, the PSP is also fantastic for that. I've enjoyed watching movies on it and even using it as a podcast/music player in a pinch (before I got a Touch).

Good luck, and welcome ^^

Vyk
10-03-2010, 03:21 AM
I probably talk about this way too much from time to time. But you could always do like me and hack your PSP so you can put emulators on it, plus play ripped versions of PS1 games. Plus all the PSP games. So the only thing you'd really be missing out on would be specifically the DS games

Though I don't think they've cracked the PSPGo yet. Either way. As stated. You can also get the legitimate library of PSOne games off of PSN. I personally don't know how many good RPGs from the PSOne era are available. But it is getting a lot of decent remakes. The Persona Portable game, Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness, the updated Final Fantasy Tactics. On the other hand the older DS gives you access to GBA so you also have two legitimate libraries with gems like the Golden Sun series, Tactics Advance, and the Advance reworkings of FF4 and 6

Guess it just depends on what you're going for. But the PSP does have a lot of extra bells and whistles

TheGrayGandalf
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks to all who replied so far. I am not so concerned that I would want to do anything that would alter the state of the psp. I love to play both current games and other RPG's like FF 1 - 6, Wild ARMS, Xenogears, Star Ocean, Secret of Mana series, Dragon Quest. Anyhow is it common to purchase these games online or can you locate them in stores. In particular stores in the Philippines. I hope someone from here will also answer this post. Thanks

NeoCracker
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I'd definately put DS over PSP, if only for more original RPG's that are good.

Devil Survivor, the upcoing Golden Sun, and Dragon Quest IX to name some.

And if you look at remakes, it has the FF IV, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest remakes which are all awesome. I'd put them over FF VII and VIII easy, though not so much IX.

Of course, I'd say hold out for the 3DS. I believe all the DS games will be playable on it, and with Atlus anouncing they plan to put games from the Shin Megami Tensai series on it, as well as square hinting the coming of the FF V and VI remakes on that system, it's far ahead of the PSP in terms of awesome RPG's.

Zwei
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Both the DS and PSP are necessities if you enjoy RPG's. However, the PSP has the edge here, hands down. Just a brief summary of 2010 PSP rpg's.

Kingdom Hearts BBS

Valkyria Chronicles II

Ys Seven

Ys Oath in Felgana

Phantasy Star Portable 2

Blazing Souls Accelate

Z.H.P.

Puzzle Quest II
Lunar Silver Harmony
Mimana Iyar Chronicles
Hexyz Force
Persona 3 Portable [P3P]
And coming in 2011.

God Eater Burst
Ys I & II Chronicles
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Dissidia II
Tactics Ogre Remake
Lord of Arcana
3rd Birthday
FFXIII Agito (I'm optimistic on this one)
Last Ranker (not confirmed for 2011, but again, I'm optimistic)
That's not to mention past must-own RPG's such as Crisis Core: FFVII, Jeanne D'Arc, and Star Ocean, amongst many others.

Rase
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Total biased opinion: DS. It's the one I have, and the reason for that is it has the types of RPG's I want. Games like Nostalgia, the Etrian Odyssey series, the Mario & Luigi games, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, the Pokémon games, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest... Games like this only seem to grab me on a handheld anymore, and so it's an easy choice in my eyes.

black orb
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
>>> DS, most of the PSP rpgs are just ports from previous PS1/PS2 games..:luca:

Mirage
10-06-2010, 01:08 AM
COMIC SANS!!

That's not comic sans!
This is B)

Also, PSP with GBA/SNES/other emulators on.

If not, DS with GBA slot.

Bolivar
10-06-2010, 05:31 PM
It's hard for me to say unfortuantely most RPG's I've played, admittedly on both, are remakes. The original 6 FF and DQ IV-VI as well as IX are all there, and that's pretty hard to top, but FFVII-IX + FFTactics are four of my favorite games of all time.

As far as original RPG's go the DS might win with upcoming Golden Sun, DQ IX counts here, too, the Mario & Luigi series, the Pokemon games and apparently Etrian Odyssey is crazy.

Still can't count out the PSP though with all the Square Enix support for original titles, Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Tactics Ogre are must have games for me next year, and I haven't even gotten to Vaklyria Chronicles 2 yet...

You really can't go wrong with either. I've been using my PSP more in the last year, but lately Pokemon HeartGold has my hooked.