PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Get It

Rye
10-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm sure you've heard (older) people say this about various websites, such as Twitter and FB. I've always been confused by the phrase because it seems so obvious what the point of those two sites are and laughed at the idea of not getting it. But now, I'm having this problem. Am I old?

Recently, I was reading how people on Etsy are recommended to try to advertise on Squidoo, and how it's so good for getting page views. So last night I tried to make a page on Squidoo, and I really just... don't understand it. Is it like a free website hosting site? Is it like twitter? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME. I'm really struggling with this site, but I'll try it out because it might get me more sales.

What sites on the internet do you not "get"?

escobert
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM
It's not that I don't get sites I cba to go to them :p

SaveOurSeeker
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Facebook and Twitter, like you I just don't get it. If you want to talk to a friend why not ring them or call round for them. Same with text messaging as well. I am 23 but most of the time i feel 73 with all these con fangled new fads :D. I ask myself why would I want a stranger poking or tweeting me, what does that even mean:confused: (hides in cupboard)

Vyk
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't get this site :(

Bunny
10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I still don't understand the appeal of Twitter.

kotora
10-03-2010, 05:15 PM

people like telling others about the dump they just took after telling about the bagel they just ate, because it makes their lives feel meaningful and important.

Rodarian
10-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Except for Facebook and twitter... I have no idea of what those places are that you've mentioned, so I'

SaveOurSeeker
10-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Its like you hear of people who narrate there every day comings and goings on these sites. These people are ruining the fun of stalkers, it must be stopped;).

Chris
10-03-2010, 05:39 PM
A FB profile was more than enough, and I hardly ever use that one. FB is a decease, and there doesn't seem to be an antidote.

Rye
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I actually think Twitter is really awesome for businesses. I've gotten way more sales since I put my business on Twitter. For one, just using #tags when tweeting a new listing instantly gets you about 30-40 page views, in less than a minute. It also lets people follow you in a way that doesn't commit to having to real a lengthy blog entry or anything. It's the quick scoop.

Miriel
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I actually think Twitter is really awesome for businesses. I've gotten way more sales since I put my business on Twitter. For one, just using #tags when tweeting a new listing instantly gets you about 30-40 page views, in less than a minute. It also lets people follow you in a way that doesn't commit to having to real a lengthy blog entry or anything. It's the quick scoop.

Word. I've earned like... $5,000+ in revenue for my business via twitter. Yeah, there's the random updating about stuff most people don't care about, but it also lets you connect & network with people who may have opportunities for you, and alerts you to those opportunities instantly.

Jessweeee♪
10-03-2010, 07:16 PM
A FB profile was more than enough, and I hardly ever use that one. FB is a decease, and there doesn't seem to be an antidote.

Facebook is just fine once you learn how to "Hide" people or get better friends!

Pheesh
10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't understand the point of last.fm, but then again I think I've looked at it maybe once. It seems like a worse version of myspace music to me.

Clo
10-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't understand the point of last.fm, but then again I think I've looked at it maybe once. It seems like a worse version of myspace music to me.
Oh my god, I fucking hate last.fm! I've tried using it several times, but it's just atrocious, argh. I get frustrated every time and want to kick the website.

Rye
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I think last.fm is one of the things I have, but I never actually use or look at.

Yar
10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I just don't understand teenagers anymore. :/

Raistlin
10-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Twitter and last.fm are two things in this thread that still confound me.

rubah
10-04-2010, 01:26 AM
I had a hard time figuring out tumblr, but I think I got it now.

Mirage
10-04-2010, 04:07 AM
What's not to get about facebook? I mean i rarely ever use it and i loathe all the apps there, but it's not exactly hard to understand what it's about and why people use it.

NorthernChaosGod
10-04-2010, 05:45 AM

This and Tumblr. Wtf, people?

~*~Celes~*~
10-04-2010, 05:54 AM
4chan i mean really

Loony BoB
10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I say "I don't get it" every now and then, but only when people make jokes or what appear to be jokes and I don't get the joke. Sadly this happens often. :(

I don't know of any sites that I don't 'get', although I do think some sites are stupid and/or pointless.

Shoeberto
10-04-2010, 03:56 PM

This and Tumblr. Wtf, people?
I understand Tumblr more than Twitter. Tumblr is just like a blog/social network mash-up. It's about easily sharing all kinds of media with others.

Twitter is just weird to me. I can see how its simplicity has a lot of applications for different people, but I (personally) can accomplish the same kind of stuff with my Facebook. I think it's just not for me.

NorthernChaosGod
10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I understand Tumblr less than Twitter. Why do I want to "follow you" when all everyone does is repost pictures and stuff other people post? I thought reposts were a bad thing.

Bastian
10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
It's not that I don't "get" Twitter, but more that I just don't care. I have a twitter account, but it seems like EVERYTHING that anyone I'm following says on Twitter is word-for-word what they also post on their wall in FB.

Redundant. So I stopped looking at it like a year ago.

Also, I can understand the appeal of last.fm . . . but I haven't bothered jumping on that bandwagon yet. I should. I should. But . . . there are too many other internet-y things to pay attention to.

Now that Myspace music is dying, I'm surprised facebook hasn't bothered trying to make improvements to allow bands better and more user friendly features. I tried to set up a music site for my band on fb and it somehow ended up converting to a regular page. It WAS a fb MUSIC page at one point. And because you can't actually CANCEL fb profiles (so that I could cancel and start over from scratch) it's stuck in limbo. There's also no way to contact fb to say "hey, convert this back to a MUSIC page, idiot."

I'm ranting off topic. Sorry.

DMKA
10-05-2010, 01:00 AM
It's not that I don't get them, it's just that I don't like them and every time I see content from them I weep for our future.

Peegee
10-05-2010, 04:45 AM
4chan i mean really

>implying implications

Rantz
10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
petitiononline.com

Mirage
10-06-2010, 01:04 AM
4chan i mean really

that one's easy
you post pictures, and comment on pictures that people post