PDA

View Full Version : Random Tips!

Loony BoB
10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Increase your Mind and Vitality!
I've noticed a few people here and there talking about how hard some mobs hit, and thought I'd mention that you should never forget that, even if you're a melee attacker, you should still remember to boost your mind stats. Mind is Magic Defence, so the higher it is, the better off you are when you're facing up to something that uses any kind of magical attack against you. Likewise, a mage should remember to increase vitality for physical defence and, of course, HP.

Crafting & Chatting
When you're chatting and crafting and getting infuriated at how the crafting process continually stops you from typing a sentence... press space then up, and you'll carry on from where it cut you off.

Set up Macros!
Learn macros. Seriously, for switching classes, this is a must-have. You can do it via Configuration in the FFXIV in-game menu. The basics of a macro go like this for changing a job:

/equip main "Weathered War Axe"
/eaction 2 Trunksplitter
/eaction 3 "Broad Swing"

Remember, your eaction 1 (eg Light Swing, Stone Throw, etc) is automatically done for you. You can equip other things, obviously, too - sub for your secondary tool (eg. /equip sub Bronze Claw Hammer) or pack for your bait when fishing.

Personally, I have Ctrl+1-0 set for my 10 classes and I have Alt+1 and Alt+2 set up for my abilities for crafters and gatherers (you'll get these when you get to rank 10 with a crafter or gatherer).

For an in-depth explanation of macros, check out this link (http://www.ffxivcore.com/blog/244/entry-559-guide-to-macro-set-up/).

Work on at least one gatherer class and travel faster!
Each class has these two types of skills which are awesome for when traveling.

Miner: Lay of the Land & Prospect
Botanist: Arbor Call & Triangulate
Fisher: Gulleye & Dowse

Using the first skill, it will tell you how far away something (mining spot, mature tree, school of fish) is. The second will tell you how many of each of these things are in each of the compass directions. Now, if you use the first and it says a number over 200, use the latter and it will give you the status of 'Quick' which makes you run about twice as fast for around 35 seconds. This is really useful when traveling long distances. Of course, if you're in an area which is full of Grade II stuff, you'll need to be rank 10 to do this skill. Likewise for Grade III, you'll need to be rank 20... and so forth. But if you can at least get your rank 10, you'll be doing yourself a world of good when running around. I never travel long distances without a gatherer skill enabled these days. Can't wait to get to rank 20 with my miner so I can do it in all the regions between the starter cities...

Give your own random tips!
Feel free to post random tips for people to read up on as you go along. :) There have been a lot of things I've not really noticed until I saw someone randomly post about it on a forum somewhere, so share the knowledge!

Carl the Llama
10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Just a few tips for you at the mo: When speaking to someone through /t after you type the name the first time you can press space then ctrl+r to speak them again, unfortunately you do have to type the name the first time no matter if they send you a message you can't auto reply till you type their first name for the first time.

Second (for all new MMO players out there) treat others with respect and friendliness and they will do the same to you, try to construct proper sentences with whole words, internet slag like moar and all the variations of lol are perfectly fine in my book, words like dat (that) u no (you know) and anything of the like are really irritating so please take the extra 0.2 seconds to type the extra letter or two, its no big deal if you don't know how to spell a certain word, just type it out as you think it should be and we will understand this is after all a forum/game not a spelling contest. Not so common sense I know so I thought I would write this down as sometimes people miss the obvious, no offense intended.

People who have certain locations to teleport to often charge for that intended warp, me on the other hand give these out for free, people are happy to get a free teleport, you make a new friend and if you do this often enough you will find yourself invited to parties making new friends, a small deposit now for a big reward down the line if you know what I mean.

Oh and one final tip, if your on Lindblum server and you see a guy named Legendary Hero or Epic Win you should worship him and give him all you monies! :p

Loony BoB
10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Move that Map!
When you use the map ('m' key), press I, J, K and L buttons to move it around.

Goldenboko
10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Tip to not be a noob: Don't be Goldenboko.