PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand these two sentences. D:

KentaRawr!
10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
So, I'm doing some statistics! It's really easy. But, the teacher put two questions on here that seem like they mean the same thing. They're question A, and question B.

The following represents the outcomes of rolling a die 600 times

Face 1 2 3 4 5 6
Number 107 120 84 110 92 87

A. What are the mean and median numbers of appearances of each face?
B. What are the mean and median face values of the 600 rolls of the die?

I don't need help finding the mean and the median. That's easy! :D But, I don't really get what the difference between those two questions is. I'm still going to stare at this, and see if I can figure out what the difference is. I'm sure that there must be some difference. I mean, the two questions are right next to one another, and are about the same data. If I'm calculating the mean and the median in both questions, does that mean that in one of them, I'm calculating the mean and median of numbers 1-6? I certainly hope not.

It's upsetting that in the end, this question will be the easiest because it's asking me about the mean and median, but it's also the only one I'm stuck on because I can't understand what the teacher's asking me to do. :(

P.S. Feel free to call me an idiot. :3

Edit: Nevermind! I figured out what he meant. Sorry!

Mirage
10-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Cool, I am really happy for you. Best of luck with your studies.

So what did he mean?

KentaRawr!
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Cool, I am really happy for you. Best of luck with your studies.

So what did he mean?

The value of the faces. Like, 6 is worth 6, so if it appeared 87 times, then I multiply 6 by 87 and replace 87 in the dataset with the result. I do that for each of the pieces of data, and then I calculate the mean and median. xD