PDA

View Full Version : Look, Square-Enix aren't planning on milking a cow

champagne supernova
10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Just read this
Final Fantasy XIII Team Hints at Sequel - PlayStation 3 News at IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1125216p1.html)
Although I don't have a problem with them making the sequel, because there is a lot of stuff they could answer. However, planning a game with DLC in mind.....sounds like a money making scheme.

Jessweeee♪
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Final Fantasy has been a money making scheme since day one, it was named "Final Fantasy" because they were going bankrupt and it was going to be their last game ever. I mean, they are a business and game making is expensive. Of course they are going to go for whatever makes more money :confused:

Anyway, I really liked FFXIII, so I'd play a FFXIII-2. If it's going to be like what FFX-2 was to FFX, I want to know that before hand though. Now that I can just enjoy it for what it is I like FFX-2 just fine, but when I first popped in the disc I was expecting a game as deep as FFX xD

Depression Moon
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Final Fantasy has been a money making scheme since day one, it was named "Final Fantasy" because they were going bankrupt and it was going to be their last game ever.

Doesn't that sound conflicting? Sounds more like he wanted to go out with a bang.

Jessweeee♪
10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Final Fantasy has been a money making scheme since day one, it was named "Final Fantasy" because they were going bankrupt and it was going to be their last game ever.

Doesn't that sound conflicting? Sounds more like he wanted to go out with a bang.

Day one may have been an exaggeration. How about day whatever it was when they decided to make Final Fantasy II.

VeloZer0
10-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think planning a game with DLC from the start is a bad idea. I like the option of being able to pay some more money and get some more game out of the titles I want.
I highly doubt I would buy FF13 DLC though.

According to Kitase, Square Enix has a policy of each team making a game at a pace of one title every two years,
Looooooooooooooool

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2010, 03:04 AM
God I hope they don't make a sequel. Just get to work on FFXV already and lets leave this embarrassment of title where it belongs, behind us. :roll2

Jessweeee♪
10-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Just because you don't like it :nonono:

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2010, 03:31 AM
I've yet to play a FF sequel that has impressed me or is even half the quality of its predecessor. :P

Flying Arrow
10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
^ Yeesh. Going by your standards, XIII-2 will probably end up as one part vaguely-controllable combat system and one part Mario World-style world map for exploration. SE will be hailed by all major gaming websites for 'streamlining' the genre and 'trimming off all the fat'

Roogle
10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I have no problem with Downloadable Content (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content) or its applications in the game development process.

Personally, I would not pay for a Final Fantasy XIII expansion pack of any kind, as I was not impressed with the title. I am glad that I have the option to opt-out rather than having this content included with the original game at a delayed point in time.

I think that this may stop Square Enix from releasing updated versions of their games like Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix and other rereleases in the past, also.

Raistlin
10-05-2010, 10:39 PM
God I hope they don't make a sequel. Just get to work on FFXV already and lets leave this embarrassment of title where it belongs, behind us. :roll2

I agree with this so much. They'd have to do something pretty remarkable (i.e., not add the actual story as an afterthought) to make FFXIII-2 worth making.

Vyk
10-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I thought there was already a saga of XIII going on. With Versus and the one with the latin name I can't think of. So XIII as a franchise is already for milking money. It seemed it was planned that way from the start, unlike with 7 and 10. Though from the sound of it making XIII-2 is a waste of time. But it shouldn't really be any surprise that they add yet another game in

As far as DLC, I'm usually okay with the idea. But I'm rarely comfortable with the price tag for content. 10-15 bucks or more a piece for an extra couple hours (usually) seems like a bad ratio

Mirage
10-06-2010, 12:55 AM

Well, that's because it's not entirely true. Final Fantasy was named that because it was their "last chance". If that game didn't turn things around, they would be out of business. As we all know now, it did turn things around.

Anyway, FF13 left itself wide open for a sequel, and it was probably decided that there would be one before FF13 was even released.

DMKA
10-06-2010, 01:21 AM
I would totally play FFXIII-2, but I honestly could do without them making one. Like others have said, I would much prefer they get to work on FFXV and make it awesome.

ShinGundam
10-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I thought there was already a saga of XIII going on. With Versus and the one with the latin name I can't think of. So XIII as a franchise is already for milking money. It seemed it was planned that way from the start, unlike with 7 and 10. Though from the sound of it making XIII-2 is a waste of time. But it shouldn't really be any surprise that they add yet another game in

As far as DLC, I'm usually okay with the idea. But I'm rarely comfortable with the price tag for content. 10-15 bucks or more a piece for an extra couple hours (usually) seems like a bad ratio
Versus XIII and Agito XIII are completely different games :eep:. SE wants to make XIII-2 because they made a lot of unused assets that only fit for a direct sequel (stuff like seventh Ark, titan , cocoon cities, limit breaks and so on dropped to accelerate the development).

Jessweeee♪
10-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I want to fight Titan!

kotora
10-06-2010, 10:58 PM
That explains all the missing character development, exploration, plot and gameplay in FF13. They intentionally left those out to add them later and make a smurfload of cash because buying the game would be a waste if those elements aren't there.

black orb
10-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Although I don't have a problem with them making the sequel, because there is a lot of stuff they could answer. However, planning a game with DLC in mind.....
>>> My thoughts exactly..:luca:

GO TO HELL SQUARENIX, IM NOT MADE OF MONEY!!

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 07:57 AM
They were milking the "Final Fantasy XIII" cow the day it was announced.

Do you remember they announced not one, not two, but THREE Final Fantasy XIII's at the same time?

Lamia
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Sadly enough, all they would have to do to make XIII-2 successful would be to expand Cocoon, and add towns and then advertise it as "XIII with towns!" I think a lot of upset and deprived FF fans would rush out to buy it. They could reuse a lot of what is in XIII and expand on it and make Cocoon EXPLORABLE. I think FFXIII is a great game but ultimately was not completed. I wouldn't mind a "deluxe" version of XIII either where it is the same game except feature rich and with more content. But XIII-2 would be fine by me if it was set in the same world, with the same characters, but was a more well-rounded game than its former.

The level design will still have to be corridor-y for the most part though because that is the only way to force you to dodge monsters.

Wolf Kanno
01-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Guess who just registered the domain name Final Fantasy 13 2? Seriously guess... (http://www.rpgsite.net/news/939/square-enix-registers-domain-name-for-final-fantasy-xiii-2.html) :eep:

ShinGundam
01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Guess who just registered the domain name Final Fantasy 13 2? Seriously guess... (http://www.rpgsite.net/news/939/square-enix-registers-domain-name-for-final-fantasy-xiii-2.html) :eep:
As long as it a TPS game, i will be happy :D

Roto13
01-13-2011, 02:25 PM

If Wolf Kanno doesn't like something you can pretty much assume it's the pinnacle of the genre.

Hollycat
01-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I've yet to play a FF sequel that has impressed me or is even half the quality of its predecessor. :P

try crisis core, its really good.
EDIT: its a prequal

personally I'd rather a sequel to 8 or 9

Wolf Kanno
01-13-2011, 08:09 PM

If Wolf Kanno doesn't like something you can pretty much assume it's the pinnacle of the genre.

Hey now, I don't hate all the great pinnacles. :p

try crisis core, its really good.
EDIT: its a prequal

personally I'd rather a sequel to 8 or 9

Oh god... don't even mention that game. I've played it and I hate it. Only decent thing out of the Compilation was Last Order :mad2:

Elskidor
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Eww. WHY? If so determined to make a sequel then just go back to one of the more popular games in the series. I guess we can uncross our fingers for having a shorter wait on FFXV..

Yar
01-14-2011, 02:49 AM
lmao.

unlike FF VII or FF X, there haven't really been any people asking for a XIII sequel. xD

Elpizo
01-14-2011, 12:19 PM
All SE needs to do to make XIII-2 good is bring back all those RPG elements they scrapped from XIII and not treat the player as braindead toddlers who can't set a step without the game holding their hand.

And I'd rather have them make a sequel to XIII than a sequel to a previous game like IX or VI, because those games don't need it, just like IV didn't. And they still made one. That way, if the sequel's bad, considering how XIII is, it doesn't exactly ruin the game's reputation.:greenie:

ShinGundam
01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
FFXIII-2 will be a TPS game.

Crossblades
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

What's a TPS?

ShinGundam
01-14-2011, 01:57 PM

What's a TPS?
Third person shooter.

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I want a crossover of kh battle systems with ff7

Depression Moon
01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Come on Square, do something smart for once. Announce KH III, get some old guys together and work on a Threads of Fate II, a new Chrono. Release some more (good) games for the console.

Why in the world would y'all put out a XIII-2 when it was critically received poorly?

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Come on Square, do something smart for once. Announce KH III, get some old guys together and work on a Threads of Fate II, a new Chrono. Release some more (good) games for the console.

Why in the world would y'all put out a XIII-2 when it was critically received poorly?

this, but take out the disney part of kh, and throw in everlasting

Vyk
01-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Was it received poorly in Japan? Because that's all that matters. They cater exclusively to the Japanese and then send over stuff they think we might also like

ShinGundam
01-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Was it received poorly in Japan? Because that's all that matters. They cater exclusively to the Japanese and then send over stuff they think we might also like
The key point is :
1-It doesn't need to do nearly as well as XIII or any mainline FF.
2-Reuse old environmental assets.
3-Less than two years of development.

The feedback in Japan definitely more harsher than ours but i doubt that Toriyama has learned his lesson.

DMKA
01-15-2011, 04:06 AM
The International version of Final Fantasy XIII came with a novella called Episode i (you can read an English translation of it here (http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2010/12/final-fantasy-xiii-episode-i.html)) and it's almost blatantly set up for a sequel.

I may be alone but if an FFXIII sequel is announced I'll be pretty excited.

Also, reception is irrelevant, as the game sold almost six million copies in less than a year. That's faster than any other game in the history of the franchise.

Hot Shot
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah,I believe XIII went platinum, so they probably think that the sequel will do just as good. And bringing out a sequel will motivate people who haven't played the first one to go to the shop and buy it.

Depression Moon
01-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I haven't played the first one, but it wouldn't motivate me because I'm familiar to how Square's been handling business as of late.

ShinGundam
01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Sugoi Monogatari, Aniki...