PDA

View Full Version : A Psychological Horror game for the PS3/360 that I want.

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2010, 06:54 AM
So this is a bit weird for me, as many of you know I haven't been as impressed with my hulking "HD capable, online super nifty awesome next gen but it really feels like last gen" gaming consoles and the few who really know me will understand that I'm not a big fan of survival horror themed games. Yet here I stand with a game that looks so absolutely bizarre that even I might have to say I would be willing to pick it up if it somehow makes out of Japan.

I'm of course speaking about Atlus' Catherine (http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/7782.html). No, I don't really know what the plot is about beyond a love triangle and the main character Vincent being turned a sheep monster. Still... just what the hell man... It just throws me off and now I want to know more.

NeoCracker
10-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Well, this may be the Atlus Fan boy in me, but I'm sufficiently intrigued.

Love the imagery at least.

Clo
10-05-2010, 07:24 AM
I am also intrigued. I love psychological horror games. I still sort of need a PS3 though.

Vyk
10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Katherine and Catherine. Pete and Pete

Rase
10-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Wait, what?

Vyk
10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
If that was at me: Its an old Nickelodeon show. I'm mocking the double-usage in the game, referencing a show with a double name usage. Not so funny when its explained though :}

Flying Arrow
10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I've been intrigued by this one for a while, but I refuse to get excited about it until I see a substantial example of gameplay.

Rase
10-05-2010, 03:01 PM
If that was at me: Its an old Nickelodeon show. I'm mocking the double-usage in the game, referencing a show with a double name usage. Not so funny when its explained though :}
Nope, was at the game making my brain hurt at one in the morning.

KentaRawr!
10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I love his "Oh my gosh I'm so surprised!" face! :3

DMKA
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I absolutely hate that god awful cell shaded 3D anime look.

But it does have me very much interested for some reason. Probably the sheer bizzarro factor combined with the trailers letting you see footage but making sure you know nothing about how the game is played. Oh Japan.

JKTrix
10-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Besides this being Atlus' first 'HD' game, they're really touting it to be a game for adults. The trailers visibly show two of the characters having sex, for example, but the story behind it is the kind of complicated thing that 'adults' can get into.

Katherine (the brunette with the glasses) is supposedly an old friend of the main character--not necessarily his girlfriend from what I've read, but he did recently get her pregnant. Meanwhile, he meets Catherine (the blonde one) and has a kind of one-night stand with her, but then she threatens to kill him (or something) if he ever cheats on her. That's about as much as I know about the story behind the game, outside of the visuals seen in the few trailers.

And yeah, they haven't talked at all about the game mechanics, but it seems pretty clear that it is story-driven and you'll be making choices. One thing that worries me is the logo they use for the game, with a silhouette of Catherine split in half with the 'male' symbol on one side and the 'female' symbol on the other. One anime trope I can't stand is crossdressing, or 'traps', for no reason other than to just have it. The Persona games did this, and this is a game specifically from the team within Atlus that made Persona, so I wouldn't put it past them.

If it turns out that Catherine is/was a man then I will not buy this game.

In any case, if you've played enough of Persona 3 Portable then you've seen the main character of Catherine already (http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/18/catherines-connection-to-persona-3-portable/).

Jessweeee♪
10-06-2010, 04:55 AM
This looks very interesting. I'll uhh...have to play this when I get my own place though. I don't need people walking in one one of those more erotic looking scenes and getting the wrong idea about the kinds of games I play :(

Vyk
10-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Or the right idea. Dirty people..

On a different note, I wish I weren't eating up the neighbor's bandwidth so I could view the trailer

DMKA
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
This looks very interesting. I'll uhh...have to play this when I get my own place though. I don't need people walking in one one of those more erotic looking scenes and getting the wrong idea about the kinds of games I play :(

I was embarassed when my roommates walked in on the FFX-2 massage minigame. I can't imagine them walking in on this

Jessweeee♪
10-06-2010, 07:34 PM

I was embarassed when my roommates walked in on the FFX-2 massage minigame. I can't imagine them walking in on this

I stopped playing Persona 4 for awhile when it got to the strip club dungeon xD

Dreddz
10-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I've been excited about this game ever since it was first announced. Looks right up my alley.