PDA

View Full Version : Which Game to Buy

Depression Moon
10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I might have some money coming soon and I wanted to buy at least one game with it. I was deciding between these.

A new PS2
Another PS2 (used) my lil brother says his friend wants to sell his for about a $100. That's kind of steep especially if it's old. May be able to talk the child into a more reasonable price.
(With another PS2 I can play all of my collection and beat P3 and DMC3 which I never got the chance to finish)

Batman Arkham Asylum
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Castle Crashers
Braid
Final Fantasy XIII
Infamous
Uncharted Drake's Fortune
A Wii game (I don't own a wii, but my brother has one. Probably the least favorable choice since once I leave the house I won't be able to play it until I buy my own wii)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Killzone 2
Modnation Racers
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Bayonetta
God of War Collection (I actually have GoW I and had II on PS2)
Dead Space

Jessweeee♪
10-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Last I heard new PS2s were $99 and this was quite some time ago. Of the games you have listed, I've only played FFXIII and I have a very high opinion of it. However, it has quite a few polarizing elements to it. The things I like about it are the very same things that somebody else hates. I will say that as with any other Final Fantasy, the only value in replaying it is to experience the story again. If that's something that concerns you, you may want to rent it first to see how you like it.

Rase
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
You have a bunch of good games on this list... :(

I can only narrow my personal choice down to either Batman Arkham Asylum, Dead Space, or Bayonetta. Whatever you do you should also pick up Scott Pilgrim vs The World, as long as you have friends you can play with co-op.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Batman is probably my top choice on your list. Its surprisingly good even if the artwork looks like crap smeared on a wall.

Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim are best co-op so you may want to hold off unless you have some good buddies or don't care, otherwise I would recommend them as well.

Pheesh
10-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Arkham Asylum is a game you should play, but if you can find a way to borrow it then do that, I didn't pick it up again after I passed it, and ended up trading it in.

NeoCracker
10-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Infamous, Arkum, or the PS2.

I'd lean on PS2 if only for P3 and 4 though. :p

Vermachtnis
10-08-2010, 04:35 AM
I vote for Batman and/or Bayanetta.

asukaevaunit02
10-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Uncharted (1 or 2)
I was skeptical about them since they were largely shooting games, and I suck at shooting games. But, I bought it and loved it, my fave game for PS3.

God of War (get 3 absolutely amazing!)

I'd skip Final Fantasy XIII, I was pretty disappointed by it, makes me somewhat angry I paid full price for it too... though it is about half price now.

Dreddz
10-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Bayonetta or a PS2.

Slothy
10-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Either the PS2 or Uncharted, with Uncharted being my favourite game in that list (still haven't played Arkham Asylum mind you).

I'll also recommend avoiding FFXIII like the plague. Hands down one of the worst games I've played in years.

Seraphic
10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Definitely Bayonetta.
The replay in that game is pretty astounding and it's so much fun to play.

Flying Arrow
10-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I actually came in here intent on mentioning Batman: AA whether or not it was on your list, but I can see that it is and that the whole forum already beat me to it! I'm playing it right now for the first time and it's... bloody awesome. It's a bit on the easy side but, like Uncharted 2, it's just so much damn fun that you never want to put it down.

Consider me also an endorser of Bayonetta. Fantastic game. The cutscenes (skippable) are non-sensical and sometimes the camera goes absolutely out of control, but the rest of it is just so exhilarating and there are so many ways to go back and play using a new weapon-combo set-up that it should keep you thrilled for a while.

I'll also recommend avoiding FFXIII like the plague. Hands down one of the worst games I've played in years.

Seconded. It's staggeringly uninteresting and at a lot of times out-right boring, too. Bayonetta's story is better told, and believe me that is saying something.

EDIT: I also notice that you have Uncharted 1 on your list. Go for Uncharted 2 instead. It is much, much better. If you already have U2, just play it again.

Bolivar
10-09-2010, 07:32 PM
FIRST OF ALL NEW PS2's ARE $99 and you can probably get that with a game. The slim PS2's are an amazing console because of how ridiculously small it is and perfect to travel with. They're also incredibly reliable, I've been trucking around the same one for about 6-7 years now. I'd rather recommend you a game, though, so here goes...

Man this is actually kind of hard. I'd put it like this:

Killzone 2 - maybe my personal favorite game on the list, I'd recommend downloading the demo, it shows you what the controls are. If you like shooters, this is arguably the best one this generation but you need to play the demo because the movement and shooting are VERY much unlike any other FPS you've probably played. You'll probably also want to change the controls to "Alternate 2" and many people recommend doing this IMMEDIATELY.

Batman - maybe the safest bet. One of the best games of last year, fantastic story and performances, just fun to play. Another playthrough is worth it on Hard to get the trophy and finish off some of the others. The challenge rooms are very fun, as well, there's some good play time to get out of it.

inFAMOUS - just about as good as Batman if not better, also one of the best games of last year. I think the playthrough is probably longer and there's a guaranteed reason to do it again because you can play as bad instead of good or vice versa, and there are ALOT of different missions for a second playthrough if you go that route. Plus all the side stuff and collectibles are feasible to find, the city is MASSIVE and fun to get around grinding on cables.

Final Fantasy XIII - this is actually a very good game. If you're a Final Fantasy fan, though, it might leave such a bad taste in your mouth that you absolutely hate it. It has a great story and combat system, unfortunately other than battles and cut-scenes there's next to nothing for this game to offer you. I'm 43 hours in, winding down the story, and I've enjoyed it quite a lot. But it's a far cry from the top echelon of FF games, no matter what your favorites list is.

Modern Warfare 2 - probably one of the most addicting games ever released, if you get I'll play multiplayer with you. The story's kinda great but short and it loses its appeal after a few playthroughs.

Good luck!

Pheesh
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I know you didn't list it, but I preferred Prototype over inFAMOUS, although they are both good.

Dreddz
10-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Infamous is massively overrated in my book.

JKTrix
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
But Bayonetta isn't.

+1 for that.

Slothy
10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Infamous is massively overrated in my book.

I have to agree to be honest. I enjoyed the game but it was filled with it's share of issues. Not the least of which being that it was far too repetitive, had a difficulty that was all over the place at times and was pretty lacking in interesting side missions or things to do in the city in general. The core game had a lot of potential, enough for me to look forward to the sequel, but it had lot's of rough edges.

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Wow, that's a ton of options you got there. So I'm just going to give you some opinions on each game you've mentioned.

Console Must Haves:

Uncharted 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Dead Space
Bayonetta

DLC Must Haves:

Braid
Scott Pilgrim
Castle Crashers

Good to very good games that are not must owns:

Infamous
ModNation Racers

Games you could live without:

Final Fantasy XIII
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (it doesn't compare to the original Ninja Gaiden in any way, shape, or form)
God of War Collection (there's no reason to own it if you have the first two)
Modern Warfare 2 (COD4 is much cheaper and MUCH better)
Killzone 2

As for a Wii game, wait for Epic Mickey, Donkey Kong Country, or Kirby. Unless you don't own either of the Mario Galaxy's or New Super Mario Bros. yet.

Depression Moon
10-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Decided to get Scott Pilgrim since that was the cheapest route and I didn't hear word from my lil brother's friend.

Mo-Nercy
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm too late, but Bayonetta is awesome. Do try and pick it up in the future.

And depending on how far into puberty your little brother is, chances are he'll smurfing love the game.

Bolivar
10-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Well like we said if you go for the PS2, the new slims are less than $100 so you better talk him down.