PDA

View Full Version : Brushes with celebrity...

Bastian
10-07-2010, 10:26 PM
...would make an awesome name for a charitable group which enlists celebs to team with people to paint houses for the poor.

But what we're talking about here is meeting celebrities, be they musicians, actors, athletes, etc.

I'll begin the bragging:

I recently posted a thread on Jimmy Eat World's forum about the lyrics to an older version of a song off their new album that was just released, asking what a "new wood doctor" (as I heard it) was.

Jim had this to say:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3317/jimfromjimmyeatworld.jpg
While it's not completely unheard of for them to reply to stuff on their forum, it is pretty rare, so I was super stoked!

But then I realized I end up having conversations with almost all of my favorite celebs (Dar Williams, Ellen DeGeneres, Margaret Cho, Imogen Heap, Amanda Palmer, Maire Brennan, everyone in 1997, Piers Anthony, Ursula K. LeGuin... And I'm sure there are others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Which of your favorite celebrities have you met?

Little Miss Awesome
10-08-2010, 12:21 AM
I've yet to meet any proper celebrities :( I've been on stage with someone called David Cassidy when I was a kid and Caleb Followill waved at me at a Kings of Leon concert when I dared to stand up on the second tier of the concert hall :p

Clo
10-08-2010, 12:30 AM
But then I realized I end up having conversations with almost all of my favorite celebs (Dar Williams, Ellen DeGeneres, Margaret Cho, Imogen Heap, Amanda Palmer, Maire Brennan, everyone in 1997, Piers Anthony, Ursula K. LeGuin... And I'm sure there are others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Which of your favorite celebrities have you met?

You've met Amanda Palmer?! Bastian, my friend, we need to talk. What did she say? WHY DOES EVERYONE MEET HER BUT ME? My best girl met her, too.

I haven't met anyone worth noting.

Bastian
10-08-2010, 01:03 AM
You've met Amanda Palmer?! Bastian, my friend, we need to talk. What did she say? WHY DOES EVERYONE MEET HER BUT ME? My best girl met her, too.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2074/fartingwithamanda1censo.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3564/meandamandapalmer.jpg

And then a year later:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3382/amandaandmefixed.jpg

Clo
10-08-2010, 03:14 AM
:excited: :omghey:

Raistlin
10-08-2010, 03:28 AM

You are an obnoxious fangirl.

Clo
10-08-2010, 03:30 AM

You are an obnoxious fangirl.

Yes, and you're not obnoxious at all.

Raistlin
10-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Obviously.

Clo
10-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Obviously.

Wes, how can I be demure and pleasant like you? How? I just... can't do it.

NorthernChaosGod
10-08-2010, 03:48 AM
I've met some bands through shows and signings and a few other famous people through other :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Celebrities I've met:
Jeremy Piven
Tony Gwynn
Wilmer Valderrama
Keri Lynn Pratt
Maddox
Tucker Max
Floyd Mayweather

Bands I've met:
Rise Against
Avenged Sevenfold
Bleeding Through
As I Lay Dying
POD
Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio)
Megadeth
Mastodon

Raistlin
10-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Wes, how can I be demure and pleasant like you? How?

Long years of hard work and dedication.

Peegee
10-08-2010, 04:08 AM
wait wait wait wait wait you've met imogen heap WTF can I touch you???

AntagonistGB
10-08-2010, 04:11 AM
What was Maddox like in person?

escobert
10-08-2010, 04:29 AM
I have never met anyone famous. nor do I really have the desire to besides a few people I'd wanna smoke a blunt with. I did talk to the rapper Jin online dunno if that counts.

NorthernChaosGod
10-08-2010, 04:43 AM

Pretty much the way he comes off on his site. He's a pretty cool guy as long as you don't look funny or say anything stupid. xD

What was really cool was that him and his hot ass editor (I think she was his editor) remembered me from the book signing when I saw them again at Comic-Con.

Bastian
10-08-2010, 04:49 AM
wait wait wait wait wait you've met imogen heap WTF can I touch you???
Yes, please.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7945/immiandmesmall.jpg
Immi is amazing. It was super super late and she had to dash to get to the next show the next day, but she took time with each and every person waiting outside for signings and such. She talked with me for about five minutes (!) about composing and recording, and she was the one doing most of the talking. It was an amazing experience. She clearly is a good, nice person.
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5792/immiandme2010.jpg

Shiny
10-08-2010, 05:07 AM
I've met a few like Queen Latifah, Beyonce, etc., but none that I can say was a life-changing experience. I will probably meet more at Comic Con. Mostly it was only superficial meetings with them. I can only say I've had two proper interactions with celebrities before -- one by email and one by phone. All the in person ones we're weird to me.

I still haven't met Tina Fey. >=(

Bunny
10-08-2010, 05:16 AM
I once bought Morgan Freeman a drink.

Pheesh
10-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Morgan Freeman is actually rich, I think he may have played you.

Raistlin
10-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Oh, I guess I should answer the question. I'm having trouble trying to remember stuff right now, but I've met at least Christopher Hitchens and gotten a shoulder ride from Dr. J.

Rodarian
10-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I've met former Miss World of 1993

I've met Milla Jovovich

Saw Sophie Lauren ash a cigarette from out a car window

Ali Azmat

Local Celebrity Designers and Photographers and Models.

Laddy
10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I've met voice actors Vic Migogna, Travis Willingham, Sonny Strait, Laura Bailey, and Spike Spencer. I also saw Tina Wesson, winner of season 2 of Survivor! (All of them very nice!)

AntagonistGB
10-09-2010, 04:58 AM

Pretty much the way he comes off on his site. He's a pretty cool guy as long as you don't look funny or say anything stupid. xD

What was really cool was that him and his hot ass editor (I think she was his editor) remembered me from the book signing when I saw them again at Comic-Con.

That's somewhat odd, since I've heard stories about him being rather shy from other people.

NorthernChaosGod
10-09-2010, 05:20 AM
The two times I met him were at a book signing and at Comic-Con. I'm positive that he was putting on an act, at least to an extent. He seemed to mellow out a bit when he remembered me and we chatted for a bit. Until I told him I was more interested in his editor that is.

AntagonistGB
10-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Ha, fair enough.