PDA

View Full Version : Wait 30 minutes

Vyk
10-09-2010, 06:47 AM
As most of you know, pop/soda and citric drinks (and apparently sports drinks according to what I just read. Bad Gatorade!) soften tooth enamel which can then be easily/accidentally brushed away with a tooth brush for those not in the know. Out of curiosity I decided to see if there was any reference for exactly how long you should wait after drinking such things before brushing your teeth. And I thought you would all like to know that researchers in Germany suggest 30 minutes. My own personal guideline was an hour or so. So that's handy information to have. Now we know

Another interesting thing I recently learned was that Vitamin-C is absorbed the same way as sugar is into the body. So if you eat a lot of sugary things you don't absorb the Vitamin-C you may need. So if you're sick and want to boost your immune system, stop eating candy so your body can get the Vitamin-C it needs to make your immune system happy :)

I learned this a couple of months ago when I was researching exactly why sugar causes tooth decay. Which is an interesting topic in its own right that not many people know. Sugar doesn't actually degrade teeth as the warnings seem to imply. In actuality sugar (and high glucose alternatives like honey) are considered a food source for the bacteria naturally in your mouth. And so when sugar is introduced to them, they munch it down, get energized, and go to work on your teeth. The bacteria can't eat most alternatives like nutrasweet and splenda and whatnot

I'm sure some people more in the know may want to correct somethings I'm saying as I'm using layman terms and trying to relate things I've learned weeks or months ago. But the general ideas are sound. Anyone else learn anything interesting/useful lately? :)

/rambling

Mirage
10-10-2010, 07:58 PM
yes, basically, bacterias in your mouth eat sugar and poop acid. I actually learned this in an old 80s french edutainment cartoon

if you drink sodas, the drink itself is acidic, as well as containing sugar for the bacteria in there. I've switched almsot entirely to drinking carbonated water rather than sodas, the pH level in those is barely below water.

after drinking acidic and/or sugary drinks, i flush my mouth with water

Rodarian
10-10-2010, 08:11 PM
yes, basically, bacterias in your mouth eat sugar and poop acid.

This should be taught to young kids about oral hygiene!

rubah
10-10-2010, 11:03 PM
just don't brush :cool:

Vyk
10-11-2010, 07:36 AM
In the same research binge, I did find out that brushing your teeth is next to useless for caring for your teeth. As long as you neutralize the bacteria/acid you're mostly okay. So chewing gum and/or rinsing with water is effective. Though there will probably be plaque build-up eventually. So I wouldn't recommend stopping. But brushing of teeth is more effective for healthy gums than healthy teeth. But flossing and rinsing are apparently more so

Also I read that the color of teeth has no bearing on their integrity. Unless they're brown due to something else of course, as in lots of plaque or something. But yellow teeth are not unhealthy teeth. Its more a cosmetic issue than anything. You can have super yellow teeth that are extremely healthy. Just means you like coffee, juice, smoking, and wine and stuff

Alive-Cat
10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
There was a monster inside my mouth, it had loads of scary things attached to it; scales, wings, tentacles, vapour-spraying eye lids. I was terrified of opening my mouth. Then one day a man came named Waldred Alfernot, Waldred Alfernot slayed the demon creature in my mouth and left loads of acid. From that point on in my life I was subject to severe tooth achage and EROSION OF ENAMAL. You just reminded me what that Waldred Alfernot did to me. :mad2:
i hate him.

Shlup
10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Fuck you, all I eat when I'm sick is ice cream and that ain't ever gonna change.

Samuraid
10-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Sugar and one's immune system don't get along, sadly. :(

Jiro
10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I eat whatever I want and suffer the consequences with a delicious taste in my mouth.

Mo-Nercy
10-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I drink more soft drink than the average person, I'm sure. But I try to always have some water handy to nip the sugary after-effects in the bud. I'm not sure if that's how it actually works and whether I'm doing myself any good with all the trouble, but *shrug*.

Peegee
10-12-2010, 04:13 PM
This thread is hilarious. I don't want to see any of your teeth, the way you speak about teeth.

Next you're going to tell me that flossing is worthless.

Levian
10-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Here I am, sick and everything, and you won't even grant me sugar? How dare you.

DMKA
10-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Does this apply to diet soda as well? That's all I drink.

Alive-Cat
10-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I've never had a single filling. Not a single one. I'm very proud of this fact. Dentist loves my teeth, he does. I think he has a crush on them.

DMKA
10-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I've never had a single filling. Not a single one. I'm very proud of this fact. Dentist loves my teeth, he does. I think he has a crush on them.
MEH. I've had more fillings than I care to think about. I think I need more.

Alive-Cat
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Maybe your love is an unspoken love. Like when you're young and you call your crush names/kick a football at them. MAYBE IT'S THE SAME WITH THE FILLINGS. :jess:

DMKA
10-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Maybe your love is an unspoken love. Like when you're young and you call your crush names/kick a football at them. MAYBE IT'S THE SAME WITH THE FILLINGS. :jess:

Someone dared me to bite down on a piece of tinfoil at age 14 and like an idiot I did it.

*shudder*

Peegee
10-12-2010, 06:55 PM

QFE - you pervert.

Vyk
10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Does this apply to diet soda as well? That's all I drink.

Acid would be the issue there. So you're only introducing one hazard instead of two

This thread is hilarious. I don't want to see any of your teeth, the way you speak about teeth.

Next you're going to tell me that flossing is worthless.

Flossing is actually considered <i>better</i> than brushing in that regard, 'cause it'll get food bits out from between teeth that brushing just can't get. There's alternatives to brushing. Chewing gum, or rubbing the filmy build-up off your teeth with your finger. As far as I know there isn't a substitute for flossing

And Mo-Nercy, rinsing is actually highly recommended. It cancels out a lot of the acid, and washes away a lot of the sugar. So way to go :P

Peegee
10-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Spit or swallow?

Vyk
10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Spit or swallow?

<i>So</i> tempted for a "your mom" joke. But my EoFF persona just doesn't <i>jive</i> that way. But I am <i>thinking</i> it :P