PDA

View Full Version : Let's do some Challenges!

Mage_of_Fire
10-09-2010, 08:11 AM
So I recently got my hands on FF1 for my phone, and it's really gotten me back into the game. Admittedly it's not the NES version, so not exactly purist, but it's close enough. It even has all the music and sound effects!

Anyway, my point is to try to stir up interest in starting some Challenge runs for FF1! Back when I first got into FF1, there were a lot of people running these, perhaps sparked by the popularity of FFX challenge runs (people used to be CRAZY about challenges over on the FFX Gamefaqs board).

A challenge can be anything that makes the game harder than normal. Common challenges are things like "low level," "initial equip," "no class change," "no healing," "no reviving," "no equip," "no X," etc...

And of course my favorite, the Single Character Challenge.

If you are new to challenges, start out with a Fighter SCC. That's what I did, actually it was one of my first times beating the game, and it can be a lot of fun! (In the end it's not that hard, but you have to start somewhere.)

I'll let you all come up with your own, but I'm issuing a challenge which I will be attempting to complete along with any other masochists in this forum.

That challenge? It's a single character challenge: Beat the game with a SOLO THIEF, NO CLASS CHANGE. NO SAVE STATES (either use a real version or don't use save states on your emulator).

Other than that and no game hacking/cheating, anything goes. If you don't think this is the hardest challenge (SCC challenge at least), go ahead and try it. Once you give up, you can step down slightly and do a solo White Mage playthrough. Yes, 1 WM is easier than 1 Thief. It's not hard to figure out why, you'll know when you hit that part of the game.

I have previously attempted this challenge using an NES emulator, but I will be completing this current run through on my phone, completely without save states!

If you complete this challenge on the NES (or an emulator without save states), you get bonus points since most of the remakes are considered "easier," but anyone that completes this SCC on any version without hacking deserves kudos.

You get the 2nd prize if you do it with Save States and/or a Turbo Mode. Both make this a lot easier and save a lot of time, but even with them it won't be easy.

No actual prizes for completing challenges, so there's no reason to lie or fake completion. Have pride in yourself, don't cheat!

Aaaaaannnnnddd.... START!

black orb
10-09-2010, 09:28 PM
[B]Beat the game with a SOLO THIEF, NO CLASS CHANGE. NO SAVE STATES
>>> Is that even possible?, there used to be a guy arround here who was doing that challenge but it looks like he never provided any proof of beating the game..:luca:

VeloZer0
10-09-2010, 11:56 PM
It's been posted in this forum before but you might want to read This (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=720326#post720326) if considering a solo thief on an NES version.

The person who did this extremely thoroughly documented walk through had to be lv29 to beat Astos, and even then it was through exploiting save-states and luck. It took him like 100 tries.

DoS version it is very doable (though presumably still hair ripping outidly hard)

Raistlin
10-10-2010, 07:43 PM
The person who did this extremely thoroughly documented walk through had to be lv29 to beat Astos, and even then it was through exploiting save-states and luck. It took him like 100 tries.

It was more than that; he had to hack the game to level up every won battle if he didn't want to spend days (weeks?) simply grinding. Jesus.

VeloZer0
10-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah, his level was so high that the monsters ran away from him yet he wasn't strong enough to kill them consistently.