PDA

View Full Version : Console help! What is going on? What am I missing?!

Clo
10-11-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't know where to go with this, probably here, I'm too blindingly frustrated right now. :argh:

My friend lent me his X Box 360 so I could play a lot of Final Fantasy XIII over my long weekend. I reached Disc 2 last night, and Disc 2 was working fine the whole while, but I became tired and shut it off. Sleep. Next day. Go to play some XIII. But Disc 2 is now not working -- which makes no sense to me, because how could it have got scratched/ruined over night just sitting in the X Box? I go and clean the disc, but this doesn't work either, except now it's reading as a Mixed Media Disc which, considering how it had been working fine just last night, results in a whole lot of :confused: on my part. My frustration leaves me to repetition, and I keep opening and closing the tray, and THEN, the game does load! Except now it's getting frozen in that little recap of the story that occurs when after you load the data. Repeatedly. I can't get past that part.

What is going on! I'm not an XBox owner, I don't know that much about them. All of the other discs to the game work, just not Disc 2. NOTHING happened to this disc, why is it not working all of a sudden!? I don't even see any scratches on the back of the disc. ARGH.

Help. :(

Vyk
10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm inclined to think the XBox might be ready to go. But you say the other disks work. So that is indeed odd. Do you know how your friend acquired this game? If it was used, it may have been re-finished by the store. As in they buff out the back of the disk and polish back over it. And newer XBoxes don't read those disks very well

Or did he just loan you the XBox and you rented the game? In which case its very likely it was re-buffed. And I'd let the place you rented it from know and maybe they'll loan you a replacement disk

Clo
10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
It's his game, but I don't know how he acquired it. There's no USED sticker on the box or anything, but who knows.

This is all very frustrating.

Vyk
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
This is a long shot, but can POSSIBLY avoid the problem for you. I'm not sure how multiple disk games install. But if you install it to the hard drive you may avoid the problem as it would load most of the data from the hard drive rather than the disk. I don't know if the system is set to load a game instantly or lets you stay on the dashboard. But you need to be on the dashboard, and go down to select the game, but instead of hitting A hit ... X or Y I can't remember. And it'll take you to the options for the disk and you can install it. But it may want you to install all the disks

Aerith's Knight
10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
What did you use to clean it?

Jessweeee♪
10-11-2010, 11:56 PM
My brother's Xbox has randomly thrashed a game or two, but there were very very visible scratches after it had its way with them. You might just have to borrow the game from someone else so you can use their Disc 2 :(

Clo
10-12-2010, 05:51 AM
I don't want to mess with my friend's XBox too much. I tried the disc again a few hours ago, and it's still not working -- no visible scratches like you said, Jessweee. I'll just have to tell my friend tomorrow and maybe we can figure something out.

Mr Twisticles
10-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Clo, do what Vyk said.
Save the disc to the hard-drive. If it works, the game will play as normal When you're done with the disc, delete it from the hard drive.
This used to happen to me. Xbox's are finicky creatures. Let us know if it saves to hard-drive yeah?

Clo
10-13-2010, 02:29 AM
I will try this, and let you guys know how it works.

I did notice something when I was looking at it today: there are two circles imprinted on the disc. They look so normal, like they're supposed to be there. I only noticed them when I was comparing the disc to another. The X Box must have imprinted the circles there. I don't know how, or when, or why? Gah.

Mr Twisticles
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
BE MEGA CAREFUL.
Either your xbox's laser is on it's way out, or (and I highly doubt it) the xbox has fallen over whilst on and the disc in the tray.
Give the burn to hard drive theory a go. If it doesn't work, I advise a new console...Cause that is worrying.

Vyk
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
The circle issue doesn't really worry me that much. Circles are not the same as scratches. My nephew ruined a game via the whole "moving the system while a game is spinning" trick. And its totally noticable. Some games do have weird circles, especially closer to the inner or outer edges. And it apparently plays everything else so I'm not sure the system is dying. I'm still going with a re-finished surface

G13
10-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I just noticed this thread. Hopefully my input is still helpful. :/

The circles could be laser burns. They go around the outside of the disc? My brother fucked up my copy of Reach by setting the Xbox right side up from laying down while it was playing the game. It got two laser burns around the outside of the disc and the game wouldn't load past the opening cutscene.

If that's what it is then the game is toast. You could try to get it fixed (what do they do, grind it?) at a Hastings or someplace but the chances of it working afterward are slim. But that's only if you moved the system while the disc was spinning. If not then it could be a multitude of things.

Shiny
10-21-2010, 04:03 AM
The console hated FFXIII so much that it destroyed itself once you inserted it.