PDA

View Full Version : Best Heroes Tournament

Laddy
10-12-2010, 02:35 AM
We've had tournmanets like this before, but I feel like a new one would be in order.

The rules are simple, each participant will elect up to 12 fictional characters from film, television, video games, literature, theatre, anime, etc on basis of heroic qualities. This person doesn't by any means have to be perfect, but they have to show traits of goodness, courage, selflessness, etc. From there, I will take either the 36, 64, or 128 charatcers that have the most nominations and we will split them into matchups. Each match-up will a day, in which we vote and debate. From there, we will eliminate the losers until we're down to 1. Got that?

Rules
1. Characters must be fictional. No real people, religious/social icons, etc.

2. Characters are not limited by species, age, or gender, but the character must be clearly sentient.

3. You can change vote through ##Vote: Character. You can change votes through ##ChangeVote: Character. Please try to keep vote changes minimal.

4. There cannot be more than three characters from a particular title or series.

5. Please explain your rationale for each vote or nomination. This is not required, but highly requested.

Okay! Here we go! Nominations start now and end in a couple of weeks or so.

My Nominations

1. Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)
This man not only shows courage and honesty, but has a strong familial commitment and endless devotion to justice, even he must suffer. What a lawyer should be.

2. George Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life)
George gave up his dreams in order to help others. He was always giving and was polite and generous to everyone he saw.

More to come.

Vyk
10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
1. Nausicaa (Of the Valley of the Wind)
One of the most admirably courageous and pro-active pacifists I've ever seen in a work of fiction. She's not afraid to act when necessary, and not afraid to lead by example to show others that violence isn't always necessary to get results. Granted, she does disillusion herself for a matter of moments due to -extreme- duress in one situation. She generally acts as a shining example of how mature free-thinking people should probably behave in times of crisis

(I could nominate Ash<i></i>itaka of Mononoke for most of the same reasons, but he's a little more violent and I'll stick with just my best Miyazaki example. I'll try to think of a few other good ones for you from other works)

Depression Moon
10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Will there be fighting?

Laddy
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
How will George Bailey and Atticus Finch fight? With their briefcases? xD

Naw, it's more of a debate of heroism.

Freya
10-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Can I just list some for you?

HARRY POTTER! He beat the dark lord when he was just a baby.

Batman - He fights supervillians with super powers and he has none! he's just a dooooo gooder.

Luke use the force and run, runt o dagoba, run to dagoba. You know Luke Skywalker! He like helps take down the evil empire cause he's a terrorist.

Buffy - She's a vampire slayer and has saved the world countless times!

Goku - He's got pointy hair and Kamehameha's. He saves the universe multiple times. :D

Is it just movie and book heroes?

Vyk
10-12-2010, 07:16 PM
fictional characters from film, television, video games, literature, theatre, anime, etc

Is it just movie and book heroes?

Seems to be from pretty much any work of fiction

NorthernChaosGod
10-12-2010, 08:18 PM
If anyone nominates Superman I'm going to punch them in the face.

Vyk
10-12-2010, 08:48 PM
If anyone nominates Superman I'm going to punch them in the face.

But he's so <i>heroic</i> he barely has to worry about anything <s>whilst saving the day</s>

Peegee
10-12-2010, 09:27 PM
12 heroes...

Superman - classic hero; he is an american icon in such a way that even non-fans of comics are aware of him. He was created as a representation of the might of America and has since been altered to represent a force for utilitarian ultimate good. Also he is non-violent - perhaps his near invulnerability itself is a deterrent.

Bruce Willis - I mean John McClane. Not the supercop that destroyed a helicopter with a cop car, but the unwitting hero just trying to get back together with his ex wife and caught up in an attempted robbery. John is not a superhero - just what any good ol' fashioned american would've done in that situation. Plus he swears all over the place which is always a bonus

Actually I'm going to retire after BW - he's so awesome he's going to win.

NorthernChaosGod
10-12-2010, 09:31 PM
*Punches PG in the face*

Bunny
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
1. Edward Cullen
Arguably one of the best sculpted vampires in literature, Mr. Cullen has a perfectly chiseled face, body, and smile. His absolute dedication to Bella shows that, not only is he the most beautiful person on the planet, but he is also the kindest, sweetest, and most gentlest of souls (despite the abusive rape scene and serial stalking charges). Edward, or as he is known to his greatest fans: The Granite Adonis, is the only person, thusfar, that is worth anything. Did I mention he's gorgeous?

2. Jacob Black
The hot to Edward's cold, Jacob Black is what every girl wants in a guy unless that girl happens to have a hard on for dead boys: hot, loyal, walks around without a shirt on, seriously freaking hot, and sometimes he turns into a puppy which only enhances his loyalty (unless he's hungry for steak and you're out camping or something). Jacob also handles the whole "ethnic" desire that most girls have, since he's one of those Native American types. Oh, oh! Did I mention he loves children?

Vyk
10-12-2010, 09:57 PM
1. Edward Cullen
Arguably one of the best sculpted vampires in literature, Mr. Cullen has a perfectly chiseled face, body, and smile. His absolute dedication to Bella shows that, not only is he the most beautiful person on the planet, but he is also the kindest, sweetest, and most gentlest of souls (despite the abusive rape scene and serial stalking charges). Edward, or as he is known to his greatest fans: The Granite Adonis, is the only person, thusfar, that is worth anything. Did I mention he's gorgeous?

2. Jacob Black
The hot to Edward's cold, Jacob Black is what every girl wants in a guy unless that girl happens to have a hard on for dead boys: hot, loyal, walks around without a shirt on, seriously freaking hot, and sometimes he turns into a puppy which only enhances his loyalty (unless he's hungry for steak and you're out camping or something). Jacob also handles the whole "ethnic" desire that most girls have, since he's one of those Native American types. Oh, oh! Did I mention he loves children?

Go bathe. You just made yourself awful dirty. You're like ... covered in cooties now, or something. And my keyboard was almost covered in vomit

Peegee
10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Bunny you are either going to be super awesome when Edward gets eliminated immediately or a complete asshat when Edward wins ><

Vermachtnis
10-12-2010, 10:59 PM
1. Agent P (Phineas and Ferb)
He's the semi-aquatic egglaying mammal of action!!
He's the furry little flatfoot, who never flinched from afray-ay-ay!!!
He's got more than just mad skill! (skill!)
He's got a beaver tail and a bill! (Bill!)
And the women swoon, whenever they hear him say
CCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Cause he's Perry!
Perry The Platypus!
But you can call him Agent P!
Perry!!
I said you can call him Agent P!
AGENT P!!!!!!!