PDA

View Full Version : Why is Vanille's l'Cie mark located on her thigh?!

SuperMillionaire
10-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Of all the places on her body to brand her, why did the fal'Cie have to brand Vanille on her thigh?!

Vyk
10-12-2010, 08:53 PM
The exclamation points lead me to believe you see this as a problem. I'm sure I'm probably missing some perspective on the game since I haven't played it. But whats wrong with it being on her thigh?

Jessweeee♪
10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
So she could show off her butt.

Vyk
10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
whats wrong with it

Oh. Right. Sexualization. At least she's not 14, like Rikku was when they were sexualizing her, is she?

SuperMillionaire
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Well, I still think it's a "weird" location. If the fal'Cie were going to brand Vanille on a "suggestive" spot, I would have preferred her lower back, in the vein of a lower-back tattoo.

Levian
10-12-2010, 10:27 PM
You mean a tramp stamp? It would compliment the moaning at least.

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Seriously, the location for her brand is not as bad as her orgasmic screams she makes and the highly suggestive hentai tentacle rape that is everything involving her summon...

Technically Lightning's mark is in a more suggestive place, especially since we never get to actually see it thanks to its location...

Vyk
10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Seriously, the location for her brand is not as bad as her orgasmic screams she makes and the highly suggestive hentai tentacle rape that is everything involving her summon...

Technically Lightning's mark is in a more suggestive place, especially since we never get to actually see it thanks to its location...

That cinches it. I'm finally gonna have to play FFXIII kidding

Jessweeee♪
10-13-2010, 01:28 AM
whats wrong with it

Oh. Right. Sexualization. At least she's not 14, like Rikku was when they were sexualizing her, is she?

Rikku was 19 in FFX-2, where the fanservice got crazy xD

Cyric
10-13-2010, 04:28 AM

I'm not trying to contradict you, but FFX Rikku was 16-years old and FFX-2 Rikku was 18. She was cute in FFX, but I didn't really find any physical attraction to her until FFX-2.

Vyk
10-13-2010, 05:08 AM

I'm not trying to contradict you, but FFX Rikku was 16-years old and FFX-2 Rikku was 18. She was cute in FFX, but I didn't really find any physical attraction to her until FFX-2.

I meant the game was sexualizing her. Not that I was really sexually attracted to her. I remember her second introduction where she strips off her suit in the most seductive way possible and the game camera revels in it

Also, I guess she was 15, so we meet in the middle :P

Mirage
10-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Well, I still think it's a "weird" location. If the fal'Cie were going to brand Vanille on a "suggestive" spot, I would have preferred her lower back, in the vein of a lower-back tattoo.
It's a tigh, I don't know why you think that is terrible. Have you even played the game? Lightning's crest is on her tits. That's what you should be outraged over.

Pretty sure she was initially 15 in FF10, but that it was changed for the western release. Lol that you think there is actually a significant change in her physical appearance from the two games though, other than that she dresses differently.

What I think is weird is that you don't realize that it's supposed to be entirely random where it ended up, and that the falcie aren't plotting to make their minions show off indecent body parts to the player.

VeloZer0
10-13-2010, 05:39 AM
What I think is weird is that you don't realize that it's supposed to be entirely random where it ended up, and that the falcie aren't plotting to make their minions show off indecent body parts to the player.
What I got from the game is that we can never be 100% sure of whatever weird motives the Fal'Cie have.

Jiro
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
The Fal'Cie are secretly controlled by these fellas called "Square Enix" who thought that a thigh brand would be totally sexy

SuperMillionaire
10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Lightning's brand is located on her upper chest, also known as the decollete, as opposed to the lower chest, where the boobs are. And that is a bit suggestive, only because the bare female chest is meant to be censored, although no such taboo applies to the male chest, but again, it's not on her boobs.

And the sexualization of female characters first started in Final Fantasy VII, with Tifa's crop top and short shorts/mini skirt. And that's because Tetsuya Nomura became the character designer.

Loony BoB
10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Nomura is the best character designer ever then.

Mirage
10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Lightning's brand is located on her upper chest, also known as the decollete, as opposed to the lower chest, where the boobs are. And that is a bit suggestive, only because the bare female chest is meant to be censored, although no such taboo applies to the male chest, but again, it's not on her boobs.

And the sexualization of female characters first started in Final Fantasy VII, with Tifa's crop top and short shorts/mini skirt. And that's because Tetsuya Nomura became the character designer.

How do you know it's on the upper chest, have you seen it?

and haven't you seen the extremely skimpy outfits of earlier FF bosses when Nomura did the monster design?

Jessweeee♪
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/images/ff3/clouddarkness2.png
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100926143058/finalfantasy/images/thumb/7/79/NTerra.jpg/180px-NTerra.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080102235935/finalfantasy/images/7/73/Chadarnook_(FF6).png

That last one is the censored version, I think.

Mirage
10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Don't think there was a Chadarnook with actual visible tits.

There is (was, maybe, not sure if they changed it in the GBA ports) however some censoring going on in the battles before Kefka, and when Lenna is taken over by a monster in that forest in FF5.

SuperMillionaire
10-13-2010, 08:15 PM

How do you know it's on the upper chest, have you seen it?

and haven't you seen the extremely skimpy outfits of earlier FF bosses when Nomura did the monster design?

The position of Fang's eyes (as I saw it) when she looked at Lightning's l'Cie brand seemed to look at her upper chest area. In addition, Lightning only needed to unzip just the upper chest portion of her turtleneck vest.

Tarquin
10-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Might also ask why Vanille is the only character who doesn't keep her clothes on in crystal form...

Mirage
10-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I approve of that anyway.

Vyk
10-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Yupp. So buying this game now ('cept not)

Jessweeee♪
10-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Might also ask why Vanille is the only character who doesn't keep her clothes on in crystal form...

Hope in crystal form: 33732

I think he's naked? Though really that wouldn't make any sense. I watched the ending to get that screen shot and Vanille was clothed in her crystal. You can just barely see them, just like everyone else.

Rostum
10-15-2010, 03:53 AM
Sex sells, is that really hard to take?

Elly
10-15-2010, 04:01 AM
i think the best answer to all these silly "why is _____?" questions is best answered with; because that's what the game designers wanted...

Loony BoB
10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Let's be fair, now.

That's what everyone wanted.

Tarquin
10-16-2010, 12:19 AM

I think he's naked? Though really that wouldn't make any sense. I watched the ending to get that screen shot and Vanille was clothed in her crystal. You can just barely see them, just like everyone else.

I knew this wouldn't be a hard and fast rule (eg I didn't know about Serah) but I was mainly thinking of the flashback when Vanille wakes up - clearly reforms naked and is deliberately covered in the right places, then clothes burn on, or something, yet when Lightning wakes in the end, clothes were always there...

Jessweeee♪
10-16-2010, 12:44 AM
MOON PRISM POWER MAKE-UP!

SuperMillionaire
10-16-2010, 02:50 AM

I knew this wouldn't be a hard and fast rule (eg I didn't know about Serah) but I was mainly thinking of the flashback when Vanille wakes up - clearly reforms naked and is deliberately covered in the right places, then clothes burn on, or something, yet when Lightning wakes in the end, clothes were always there...

Fang and Vanille remained in crystal stasis, but Lightning and the others awoken and were turned back into regular human beings.

DMKA
10-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Because it's a Japanese game and she's the "AM I KAWAII UGUU?!???" character.

BG-57
10-17-2010, 04:36 AM
MOON PRISM POWER MAKE-UP!

My thoughts exactly. :D

AntagonistGB
10-18-2010, 01:21 AM

Love the crystal that seems to be attempting to become acquainted with his colon.

As for why Vanille's there, you want the legit answer? They needed to hide her mark until after the fight with Anima, and since she wears SO little clothes, it was either there, her ass, her vaj, or her tits. And since they couldn't actually show any of those...

SuperMillionaire
10-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I still would have preferred her lower back.

AntagonistGB
10-21-2010, 03:37 AM
That comes down to personal taste then, friend. I'll take a thigh tattoo over a tramp stamp any day, though I'd prefer neither. :D

SuperMillionaire
10-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Perhaps her shoulder, then?

Wolfen
10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
You'd be surprised at how many Rule 34 pictures forget the l'Cie mark.

AntagonistGB
10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Perhaps her shoulder, then?
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100909170816/finalfantasy/images/6/68/Vanille.png

You tell me where on this shoulder you can hide a giant tattoo. I could see MAYBE her ankle.

You'd be surprised at how many Rule 34 pictures forget the l'Cie mark.

Hmm, I did not know this. I shall research this. For science.

SuperMillionaire
10-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Fang has her brand on her shoulder.

AntagonistGB
10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes, but when you're introduced to Fang, the game developers aren't trying to hide her mark. Vanille's supposed to be hiding the fact that she's had the mark since before the fight with Anima. If it were on her shoulder and clearly visible, nobody would have wanted anything to do with her and Hope wouldn't have gone with her to the Vestige.

BG-57
10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Or she could have worn an armband or bandage like Serah does. Although I agree that it suits the economy of storytelling to have it inconspicious.

SuperMillionaire
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, Serah has her brand covered up, as does Snow, as he wears a long-sleeved coat.

AntagonistGB
10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes, but again, Square wasn't trying to hide Serah's mark from us at any point, so there was no need to make it inconspicuous, especially since she just kinda went around telling everyone anyway. Without completely overhauling vanille's character design (which may not have been a bad idea, but Nomura loves him some jailbait) they couldn't very well hide her mark without it being on or near a forbidden zone, so to speak.

And Snow, like the dope that he is, never rolls down his sleeves, so it's like he's intentionally trying to draw attention with his mark, which is exposed all game. Not really relevant to the conversation, but that really bugged me.

BG-57
10-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Nothing about the way anyone else brandishes their marks make any sense, although it suits Snow's personality.

I'm not really disagreeing here, I'm just pointing out how you could hide a visible mark if you wanted to. It's just simpler to have it hard to spot for her.

SuperMillionaire
10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I know... but I still think that her thigh is a weird location for her l'Cie mark.

Nodded Emu
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
ImPECKable arguments! Geddit? ha ha.

Rotting-Corpse-Man
10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
ImPECKable arguments! Geddit? ha ha.

Oh, you kill me. Geddit? ha ha :x_x:

Nodded Emu
10-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Your humour is lost on me, human.

razorrozar7
10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Sex sells. Period. Look at the original print of Harpy Lady from Yu-Gi-Oh!, a card game designed for 10-13 year olds and played by 15-40 year olds.

AntagonistGB
10-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Sex sells. Period. Look at the original print of Harpy Lady from Yu-Gi-Oh!, a card game designed for 10-13 year olds and played by 15-40 year olds.

No, the reason "adults" play Yu-Gi-Oh has very little to do with a few scant titillating cards. It has everything to do with man-children playing a children's card games.

Actually, sex doesn't (http://www.news24.com/Columnists/ChrisMoerdyk/On-no-Sex-doesnt-sell-anymore-20101025) sell nearly as well (http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/sex-doesnt-sell.html) as you'd think. (http://articles.cnn.com/2009-12-29/entertainment/sex.doesnt.sell.movies_1_top-grossing-films-box-office-study?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ)

Rostum
10-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Actually, sex doesn't (http://www.news24.com/Columnists/ChrisMoerdyk/On-no-Sex-doesnt-sell-anymore-20101025) sell nearly as well (http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/sex-doesnt-sell.html) as you'd think. (http://articles.cnn.com/2009-12-29/entertainment/sex.doesnt.sell.movies_1_top-grossing-films-box-office-study?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ)

You also have to consider that sex and over-sexualisation is a huge part of Japanese culture, and therefor will greatly influence what Square-Enix put in to their games.

SuperMillionaire
10-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Aha, yes, Japanese pop culture loves scantily clad females. I always knew that, but again, Final Fantasy didn't implement true sexualization of female characters until Final Fantasy VII, and we have Tetsuya Nomura to thank for that.

AntagonistGB
10-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Final Fantasy didn't implement true sexualization of female characters until Final Fantasy VII, and we have Tetsuya Nomura to thank for that.

AHAHAHAHAHA.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080225080649/finalfantasy/images/thumb/5/56/Amano_Maria.jpg/180px-Amano_Maria.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070410210856/finalfantasy/images/0/09/IV-rydiaA_sd.png
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070621222503/finalfantasy/images/9/91/Magissa.PNG
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070621225729/finalfantasy/images/0/01/Mellusion-ffv.gif
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100722164811/finalfantasy/images/thumb/c/c0/FF6Goddess.PNG/200px-FF6Goddess.PNG
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060724145612/finalfantasy/images/f/fc/V_Dancers.PNG
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100604135654/finalfantasy/images/thumb/4/48/FFIII_Sara.jpg/432px-FFIII_Sara.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080217135335/finalfantasy/images/2/29/Ff3-sarah-nes.gif

Not exactly.

razorrozar7
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
We also have horny fanboys to thank for that.

SuperMillionaire
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, most certainly indeed. And those designs I just saw pale in comparison to Nomura's designs.

DarkBahamut
11-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Final answer: They needed someone else showing off a sexual impact. I prefer it on the thigh though. :jokey:

Mercen-X
11-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Would the placement of Vanille's mark have mattered as much if she were wearing shorts instead of a skirt?
Honestly, pretty much all of sexualization in Japan comes in the form of girls in skirts. It doesn't matter what they're wearing on top. Hell, they could be in a big, uncomfortably fluffy coat, or have a robot torso, or be wearing a trashcan/cardboard box, as long as we can see she's wearing a short skirt down there, she's earned the "sexy" label. Yes. I've actually seen this.
I'm not going to say it's undeserving. I'm the one who literally can't because I like girls in skirts. I'm not sure why. I really don't care what they are wearing on top (for all I know, they may even be significantly lacking in that department KWIM) but if a cute girl or sexy lady is wearing a skirt, I can't help but watch. I think it may be some childish fascination that I never got to play out. As a kid, I never met any girls who wore skirts so I never "punk'd" them with the "grab and lift." There may have been one skirt, but as a kid, I was shy and inactive so all I would do was sit and stare.
Anyway, I think that the Japanese have a thing for girls in skirts (hell, every schoolgirl has to wear one as school uniform.)

BG-57
11-22-2010, 03:58 AM
There's even a phrase for it: Zettai Ryouiki. Although the length of the stockings is a factor in addition to skirt length.

SuperMillionaire
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Would the placement of Vanille's mark have mattered as much if she were wearing shorts instead of a skirt?
Honestly, pretty much all of sexualization in Japan comes in the form of girls in skirts. It doesn't matter what they're wearing on top. Hell, they could be in a big, uncomfortably fluffy coat, or have a robot torso, or be wearing a trashcan/cardboard box, as long as we can see she's wearing a short skirt down there, she's earned the "sexy" label. Yes. I've actually seen this.
I'm not going to say it's undeserving. I'm the one who literally can't because I like girls in skirts. I'm not sure why. I really don't care what they are wearing on top (for all I know, they may even be significantly lacking in that department KWIM) but if a cute girl or sexy lady is wearing a skirt, I can't help but watch. I think it may be some childish fascination that I never got to play out. As a kid, I never met any girls who wore skirts so I never "punk'd" them with the "grab and lift." There may have been one skirt, but as a kid, I was shy and inactive so all I would do was sit and stare.
Anyway, I think that the Japanese have a thing for girls in skirts (hell, every schoolgirl has to wear one as school uniform.)

Aha, yes, I get it now; every Japanese schoolgirl wears a skirt... but I still don't get why the fal'Cie would brand Vanille on her thigh...

BG-57
11-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Internal Logic: A brand in an inconspicious location would make it easier for a L'Cie to blend in with the general population and complete their focus. You don't see any L'Cie with a brand on the back of their hand or on their forehead.

External Logic: Fanservice, plain and simple.

SuperMillionaire
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Okay... you're right about that, but I still would've preferred the brand to be on her lower back.

BG-57
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Or her ankle for that matter.

SuperMillionaire
11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Perhaps... if she wears high-enough boots...

Elly
11-24-2010, 01:27 PM
i'm so sick of seeing tatoos on the lower back, especialy the overused Butterfly tat, to where now when i see a trampstamp i just wanna scream... so i'm glad they put the brands everywhere but there...

SuperMillionaire
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
For me, it depends on the design of the tattoo as to whether I like it or not.