PDA

View Full Version : Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Dreddz
10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Slighty disturbed to see no thread on this yet. Sonic 4 was released this week. Ill repeat that, Sonic FREAKIN 4 was released this week. So I was just wondering who had picked it up?

I'm not overly thrilled by it but I'm not necessarily disappointed. Its probably the best thing Sonic has done since the Dreamcast days (although Sonic Rush wasn't bad either). It plays well and the few additions to the gameplay they have done seem well placed, such as the homing attack. And it certainly moves fast enough.

I do have a few complaints though. Actually scrap that, I have a lot of complaints. For one the game seems like one long homage to the first Sonic. Secondly the game is short, especially for its price. Sonic himself looks horrifically bad in this game. The way he moves.......just no. And lastly, the music is pretty forgetable, which is very disappointing as the original Megadrive games have some of the best soundtracks of all time.

Id say Sonic 4 is worth picking up but it really isn't what Sonic 4 should have been. Sonic 4 should have adverts on TV, in retailers at full price going head to head with Mario. Not some overpriced downloadable game that no one knows about. *sigh*

Pheesh
10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I was a bit disappointed to hear they went full on with the 'sonic 1 homage' and didn't include any kind of co-op and what-not, but I will still be picking this up. I grew up with these games, and the fact that they've made a decent one at least warrants a purchase. It's supposed to be fairly pretty as well.

Depression Moon
10-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I tried the demo. Either the controls are off or I forgot how to play in the past 13 years.

Dreddz
10-13-2010, 08:26 PM
It's supposed to be fairly pretty as well.
It looks ok I guess. You just reminded me of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXycBv3Rlk). While not an actual game I think that would have been awesome to play. Much more so than what I got with Sonic 4.

I tried the demo. Either the controls are off or I forgot how to play in the past 13 years.
I think the game controls just fine. One thing which I also noticed was just how easy the game is. I breezed through it no problem. Then again I have played a lot of Sonic.

Pheesh
10-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I read a review saying that everything except a final boss battle is insanely easy, maybe the chapters will get progressively harder?

(they are still releasing it in sections aren't they?)

Bolivar
10-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Hmmm, I know this is something I listed in many "fantasy" threads a long time ago, but can't say I'm incredibly eager. If it's just decent I suppose there's not really much of a point.

I got the Sega Collection on PS3, and just hooked up my surround sound system. I think it's time to rock out soon.

By the way, Dreddz, I think I've seen you post that video before and it's unbelievably beautiful.

Dreddz
10-13-2010, 11:55 PM
(they are still releasing it in sections aren't they?)
Yep. Three I think. All the episodes combined would equal to one fairly meaty game. I dunno why they didn't just combine the episodes, up the production values a bit and sell it at retailers. That could have turned out well.

Hmmm, I know this is something I listed in many "fantasy" threads a long time ago, but can't say I'm incredibly eager. If it's just decent I suppose there's not really much of a point.
I think its definitely worth picking up if your a fan of the old games. The only drawback is that its a bit of a rip off. I'd wait until its price is lowered. That or I could just give it to you. I dont mind.

By the way, Dreddz, I think I've seen you post that video before and it's unbelievably beautiful.
You might want to check out this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Hn1XhyWB0) as well.

VeloZer0
10-14-2010, 12:09 AM
I only got a chance to play the first level before I had to leave for work and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I haven't gotten into it enough to tell if I am impressed, but not disappointed is sitll kicking the crap out of most post S3 entries.

Flying Arrow
10-14-2010, 12:59 AM
I've got the demo downloading right now, but I think I'm going to be spending my valuable PSN money tonight on Alundra.

VeloZer0
10-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Ok, I've actually gone and given it a fair shot and I love it. It was everything I was looking for and well worth the price.

Rase
10-14-2010, 07:26 AM
The demo did not impress me. I just felt far too slow and floaty controlling Sonic, the music was (as Dreddz said) forgettable, the animations made me roll my eyes, and I breezed through the level. Unless it gets slashed to like, $5, I'm just gonna pass.

Plus side: it made me play Sonic 2 again.

Bolivar
10-14-2010, 01:50 PM
You might want to check out this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Hn1XhyWB0) as well.

I'm covered in goosebumps. And feel like crying.

ANYWAY I'll let you know about the game, but I feel like I'd wanna give SEGA the money, ya know?

Flying Arrow
10-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I just felt far too slow and floaty controlling Sonic

Played it last night and these were my immediate thoughts, too.

Plus side: it made me play Sonic 2 again.

This is always a good thing.

Polnareff
10-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Didn't like it much.

For the sake of not being a complete spoilsport I'll say that I didn't really mind the length. The game's about as long as Sonic 3 was, which ain't bad.

The physics are really bad, the controls are slippery (at least on the Wii version which is what I have) and the game is just too slow and clunky. The music could have been way better too.

This video sums it up best IMO:
YouTube - Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmYjg9sa5bw)

It's not as bad as Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis 15th Anniversary (the Sonic 1 port for GBA) but it's still not great.

Vyk
10-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I tried the second Sonic Rush game, I forget the subtitle for it, but it was horrid. I never really enjoyed any of the Sonic Adventure games, and they are currently probably the best Sonic games to date after the original run in the 16-bit days. I would have to say Sonic-CD is the best sonic game ever. It did so much different than the original games and kept the speed and feel. Even kinda accentuated it a bit. But the controls and flaotiness of the Rush game I played was terrible. The animation seemed really weird an unnatural. They just don't know how to make a Sonic game anymore. And I don't get it, at all. There are indie Sonic games out there that are better than anything the professionals have made. What in the world happened inside Sega's Sonic Team? Why are they so incompetent? And they obviously think they're doing a good job, 'cause they refuse to change their formula

So considering this game probably uses the same physics and stuff as the Rush I played, I'll probably pass. Its funny too, 'cause when they just had a little teaser out, some group analyzed it and decided it was going to use that kind of physics, and they were right

Dreddz
10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
What in the world happened inside Sega's Sonic Team?
Nearly all of the key developers that created the original Sonic games left Sega a while back. Sonic Team is mainly comprised of new people that no one has heard of.

And now that you mention Sonic Aventure, anyone bother to download the port that appeared on PSN and XBLA a few weeks back? What the smurf was that about. Possibly the glitchiest piece of :bou::bou::bou::bou: I have played in a long while. But seeing as Sonic Adventure is one of my all time favourite games, even in the bad state it was in I still had a lot of fun. And say what you want about that game, the music is still awesome.

And speaking of music, there is one track in Sonic 4 I did like. Ta-Da! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UowBU6S9BK0&feature=related)

Shiny
10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm a fan of the older Sonics from the Gensis and Saturn era. Wasn't big on Dreamcast, so here's hoping they've finally come out with something I like.

Jessweeee♪
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Sonic 2 was my first game ever! It was also my dad's last game because I tripped the power cord just as he was about to beat it and he was like "okay I am done with video games forever :stare:"

I will definitely give Sonic 4 a try :3

Bolivar
10-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I finally tried the demo and while I don't mind the animations, the movement seems off. You come to a complete stop when you let go of the direction button, where as in older games he might go for a little longer depending on how much speed you've built up. That was pretty disappointing. And the whole lock-on and DASH thing seems like it could be unnecessarily gimmicky, but I understand that's a mechanic this developer introduced with their Sonic games.

Other than that I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a huge smile on my face and a tingly feeling in my heart while playing it. It's fun. The music in the first level at least is definitely spot on. I know some people said it's not up to par, but looking at the way they made it sound, I think it'll suffice for me.

I'll get this soon once a little doe comes my way.

Dreddz
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
If you enjoyed the first stage then your in luck as the game gets considerably better as time goes on. Thats probably because they stop trying to pay homage to Sonic 1 so much and start actually making a new game. And I have warmed to the music a lot over the last few days. This track is also quite nice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLIAuyD6WGM&feature=related)

Theres also this belief among people that the last boss of this game is impossible or something. People are turning into such pansies these days.

Madame Adequate
10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Apparently Dr. Robotnik has some sort of device which erases all trace of inertia or momentum. Or speed, for that matter. Sonic should not move slower than Mario, but it sure feels like it in this one.

I didn't let my hopes get very high for this, but such as they were, they have been dashed.

Dreddz
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Sonic should not move slower than Mario, but it sure feels like it in this one.
Bull. Have you even played the game?

VeloZer0
10-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Though they really really have to take out sequences where Sonic chases after Robotnik on foot :p

Anyone else work on getting the under 1:00 Stage 1 time and end up taking it a little too far?

Madame Adequate
10-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Sonic should not move slower than Mario, but it sure feels like it in this one.
Bull. Have you even played the game?

Yes, actually, I have. Sonic has no momentum, and he has very little speed; anytime you manage to get it higher he loses it almost instantly.

DMKA
10-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Are Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors the same thing?

Roto13
10-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Are Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors the same thing?

Nope. Two (or three, or four, depending on how you look at it) different games.

I played the PS3 version and I liked it. It's kind of expensive, but mine was a free review copy, so whatever. You can read my review here (http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/10/18/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-1-ps3-review-2/), if you're interested.