PDA

View Full Version : Did Ultros have a storyline or not?

MJN SEIFER
10-13-2010, 10:34 PM
I got thinking how the game doesn't seem to outright explain Ultros's storyline; he is most likley supposed to be a comic relief kind of enemy (albeit an anoying one, since you still have to fight him) but it's never really esablished why he's fighting you. I once theorized that he could actually be part of the empire based on a few coincidental points - however that theory is fully on my DH list, those who responded to my post proved that my theory completly failed and made no real sense.

Thinking about it, Ultros only seems to be directly after you in two encounters, and even then one of them isn't after a character he "knows" yet.

First Fight: You just run into him by chance in Lete River - you could have simply been in his way, just as he was was in yours.

Second Fight: This a strange one! He says he's going to pose as Setzer, but never does. He then decides to drop a weight on the opera for no good reason, other than he probably finds it funny. His attack on that party doesn't really seem to have any real realtion to the previous battle either since Edgar and Sabin don't need to be there, and Terra and Bannon are not. Despite this, his letter states that he "owes you one", implying that it is refering to the last battle - or does he have an unrelated grudge against the opera house?

Third Fight: He doesn't really seem to notice you until your teem speaks - he is much more interested in the statues, which acording to him will get Siegfried's attention. Siegfried is either the guy on the train, or more likely the guy at the Colloseum (there are two of them) it is never fully stated why Siegfried matters to Ultros at all, you simply fight him and he escapes again.

Fourth Fight: Here, he does specifically target you, and his dialogue is very "game-like" - he actually ensures you that this is your last battle with him (unless he meant that, he's going to kill you this time - hence "final battle") he even brings an ally allong with him, who is suddenly introduced from nowhere. The battle isn't really finsished either.

When you get to the Colloseum, Ultros is the receptionist, and someone says that he's working there because he couldn't "repay his debts" to someone proably Siegfried, as he mentions him earlier. Did Ultros somehow get himself in debt with this Siegfried, and believe that the statues would be enough to pay? I liked Ultros (after a while) and I love this game, but I really feel like I'm missing something here...

VeloZer0
10-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Do I see the next SE spin-off title?

|-THE redmage-|
10-14-2010, 01:53 AM
SE should make a sequel with Ultros as the main character, I mean, who doesn't want to play as a random mysterious octopus?

Depression Moon
10-14-2010, 02:11 AM
I think you're putting too much thought into a character that Square made just for lulz.

blackmage_nuke
10-14-2010, 09:32 AM
He's probably in debt because of all the medical bills he received after I whooped his ass

Rantz
10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
He's in debt because of the tentacle taxes. His tax debts are also what he refers to when he says he owes you one :shobon:

Roogle
10-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I believe that Ultros is purely a comic relief character and has no actual impact or role in the storyline of Final Fantasy VI.

The fact that some of his antics resemble Saturday morning cartoons lead me to come to this conclusion.

blackmage_nuke
10-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Second Fight: This a strange one! He says he's going to pose as Setzer, but never does

In the GBA version he says "Ive got my own little surprise for you just like Setzer." so maybe the snes version had a mistranslation

MJN SEIFER
10-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Orthros: Fsshisshisshi.
 I'll pretend to be {Setzer} too, and
 send them a letter of challenge.

So it was the correct translation moron-less. Maybe the GBA version's designers felt it didn't make sense, so they altered it. Like how rather then actually trying to TRANSLATE the "So that's how you'll fool them" line in FFVII correctly in the PC version they simple replaced it with completly new (and somewhat pointless) line. Seriously it's obvious what the "fooled them" line was meant to say.

blackmage_nuke
10-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Hmm, maybe his initial letter (the one no one read) was meant to be an impersonation of Setzer then he got annoyed than no one read it and decided to drop an anvil on Celes.

Vyk
10-17-2010, 07:20 AM
I do that when I get annoyed with people..

Elskidor
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Never given Ultros a lot of thought except for the funny/ obnoxious reoccurring annoyance he can be. Most FF titles have that one character or team of characters that continue to show back up at random times to challenge the party, but some just seem to be more attached to the ongoing flow of the story. Ultros is just...just there in everyone's business.