PDA

View Full Version : The two "Siegfrieds".

MJN SEIFER
10-13-2010, 10:49 PM
What exactly was the point of having a weak wannabe swordsman attack you once, and never fight you again, and then discover that he was actually posing as an actual talented swordsman who doesn't appear 'til later on?

Also; his name never changed. "Ziegfried" was a translation error that some fans took to be a way of telling who was real (Siegfried) and who was the imposter (Ziegfried), but in actual fact his name is supposed to be spelt Siegfried all the way through some fans even believed that the imposter was supposed to be overenthizing the accent hence it came out a "Z" rather than an "S" - implying he did not know the correct way to pronounce the name (I've played another game series with a character called Siegfried and in one of those games the announcer seems to be pronuncing it "Ziggfreet" - as if he is trying to put on a German accent?)

The fact that there's two of them doesn't really effect anything. Nor do the characters themselves - the only thing I can think of is when players fought the real one for the first time they may have thought "Oh, this is gonna be easy - this guy SUX!" and then they found themselves under somewhat of a chalange, and didn't know why, and would later do some checking in dialogue and realize that the imposter must have been the weak one.
Further more, which one do you see in South Figaro? Is it the real one or the imposter? If it's the real one, what happened to the imposter anyway? Did he simply die during the world of ruin? a lot of characters seemed to just vanish during that...

I guess having Siegfried (imposter) as a recuring enemy would have been a tad too much - since the game already has Ultros, but they could have done a bit more, maybe have made him an "optional" recuring enemy (you only fight him if you do certain things) or just have him as a hiderence in some otherway - or even just include him in some other manner, he didn't even need to be your enemy all the time, he could just show up in comical situations...

blackmage_nuke
10-13-2010, 11:59 PM
It's so obvious now!

Gogo dressed himself up as Siegfried (not a difficult stretch considering he is a mimic) To kidnap train conductor so he can become one of the green gaurds his cave! Thats why they gaurds and the impessario have the same sprite!

Fake Siegfried = Gogo!

Or after the world was destroyed Fake Siegfried decided to take on a life as Gogo since he already liked immitating people so much.

VeloZer0
10-14-2010, 12:19 AM
I think it was just kind of there to add some levity and charm to the game.

Elskidor
10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Siegfried and Ultros should have been working together as remnants of a broken gang of treasure hunters. Their mission was tracking Locke Cole's movements in an attempt to get revenge on him for stealing something of value, or leaving the old gang of treasure hunters thus causing the gang to break up. Bam! Another spin off!

mikuel
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM
wait what? you can fight him second time? tell me how. NOW!

and the train one was too easy? like... i had ghost, shadow, sabin and cyan.
he attacked shadow. dog blocks, for some reason no counter attack. he attacks sabin. sabin counterattacks.(he had black belt) so was he impostor. and he even stole my treasure! SO now tell me, how i fight him again?

Elskidor
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM
You fight again at the Colosseum, but I think that's it. And I think that's the real one and the fake one is the one running around maybe.

mikuel
12-30-2010, 09:14 PM
*heads at coliseum* me wanna smack hell outta from it...

Wolf Kanno
12-31-2010, 07:11 AM
I sorta feel like Siegfried was meant to be like LoneWolf The Pickpocket from FFV. The guy also only shows up twice and never really has much point in the story beyond getting a simple item but whatever. He's just there for fun and nothing more, I feel some fans was hoping he would be a Gilgamesh knockoff but Ultros kinda took that role. Just random fun to break up how serious the plot is by those points.
;)

MJN SEIFER
12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought LW was from FFVI, not V - I'll have to replay them to be sure...

Maybe Square knew that fans would think he was going to be a 2nd Gilgamesh or something, and sort of doubled up as a joke?

mikuel
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
gilgamesh? hes awesome. I just think... what would happen if real siefried and gilgamesh would battle? what would happen?

Elskidor
12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I thought LW was from FFVI, not V - I'll have to replay them to be sure...

Lonewolf is in both games actually. Not sure why they have not thrown him other games for quick cameos.

lukifell
02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
it's a shame. i found lonewolf and siegfried to be the most interesting characters in the game. so mysterious

Sephiroth
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Ziegfried and Ultros were planned to have more story appearance. But it does not appear in the final version of Final Fantasy VI.