PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the game!!!!

ScottyRedXIII
10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
So im playing through FF IX for the first time and wondered if any exsperainced players had any tips for me?

Vyk
10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
The only problem I ran into was moving through the story too fast. I'd wind up at a boss battle and get so easily defeated that I thought it was supposed to be scripted that way. And then the game over screen appears. From what I recall the pacing is good. I just moved too fast. So I guess don't be in a rush and don't be afraid to grind a little. I don't think you have to grind a maddening degree. Just a little

Freya
10-15-2010, 03:38 AM
Urm my plot dino walkthrough tells you a lot. It only gos through disc one and some of disc 2 cuse i'm lazy on updating.

I guess a tip without spoiling anything though is to make sure to learn and ability before you unequip an item. The item might be the only one you have access to for that ability for some time.

vivi the master
10-15-2010, 03:51 AM
My only advise is do the side quests....just trust me on this one

Mo-Nercy
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Turn the Battle Speed all the way up and watch all the ATEs.

Have fun playing!

Rantz
10-15-2010, 07:42 AM
All of the above!

When you get to Dali, get as many Wrists as you can possibly afford. Then in Lindblum, buy Feather Hats and use the Synthesis shop to combine them into Cotton Robes, which sell for much more than you've spent on them. Easy money!

Depression Moon
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Damn, I wanted to be the first one to post.

There's not a whole lot I can say as FFIX is probably the easiest FF game I've played. One good thing to know from the beginning is to steal. You can get some good weapons early on the game by stealing from the first enemy. I'll try to event spoiling here and just basically tell you to steal from about every boss you encounter, except for the two you will fight in the forest since they won't give you anything special. You might get frustrated with a bit early in the game until you get the ability Bandit which increases your chances of stealing. Generally early on your chances of stealing the best items are based on luck.

In this game you learn abilities from equipping armor, weapons, and accessories. You can choose to leaves those equipments on until you've learned the ability or you can choose to just equip those items on when you need those abilities. Also use Focus with Vivi whenever you have the chance. It increases his Mag and I believe the effect stays on even if he's KO'd.

Jessweeee♪
10-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Have Zidane steal as often as you can, even if the reward isn't all that great. There are other long-term benefits to successful stealing :3

FFIX Choco Boy
10-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Always, always, ALWAYS make sure that over three fourths of your game is spent on Chocobo Hot and Cold.

Vyk
10-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Always, always, ALWAYS make sure that over three fourths of your game is spent on Chocobo Hot and Cold.

I ... honestly don't even remember playing that..

Jessweeee♪
10-18-2010, 03:24 AM
I don't think I ever got on a chocobo in FFIX xD

Carl the Llama
10-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Bosses have more then one item to steal and they always have something worth stealing, just keep staeling till you see the message "has nothing to steal", the very first battle has a Mage Masher for Zidane and comes with the same ability that his initial weapon has.

When you get to play the frog mini quest, always leave a male and a female frog in the pond so they respawn faster.

The Ability up ability is essential as is the level up ability, learn them as soon as is possible, High Tide is also a very good ability to have.

Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of my favorite mini games and like others have suggested is very important.

Levian
10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Chocobo Hot & Cold is one the more rewarding sidequests in the FF series. Great thing is that it happens to be one of the more fun sidequests as well!

FFIX Choco Boy
10-18-2010, 10:21 PM

I have lost all hope in mankind because of this...

vivi the master
10-19-2010, 12:17 AM
When you get to play the frog mini quest, always leave a male and a female frog in the pond so they respawn faster.

Its also easier to also keep the golden frog

Vyk
10-19-2010, 03:00 AM

I only played FF9 once. Its hard to recall everything. I was one of the people it didn't mesh well with. Its like Chrono Trigger. Whatever magic spell these games had lying in wait, was never cast upon me. I don't hate the game or anything at all. Just wasn't for me I guess. I really wanted to love the game. And I really appreciate that Square did that for us. And just like with Chrono Trigger, I truly wish I could see what others see so I could enjoy it as much

Carl the Llama
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Arg... all this talk of chocobo hot and cold has made me want to play this game again... *looks for his game*

Rostum
10-20-2010, 12:06 AM
When I get more time I want to buy this on PSN. I do have it on disc but I nothing to play it on, and I'd rather play it on my PS3 than my PSP.

Carl the Llama
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
When I get more time I want to buy this on PSN. I do have it on disc but I nothing to play it on, and I'd rather play it on my PS3 than my PSP.

All PS3's are PSone compatible lol.

Tarshish
10-21-2010, 02:13 AM
I recently downloaded this on my PS3, just go to the second disc. Forgot how much I loved this game. Chocobo hot and cold is extremely addictive.

Elskidor
10-21-2010, 02:29 AM

FFIX is probably the one game with the most entertaining chocobo content.