PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe this game is 23 years old.

Tarshish
10-14-2010, 05:31 PM
As this game gets older. I'm wondering who played this when it first came out? I was about six or seven, and Nintendo Power released a guide to this game, I didn't have it. Begged my mom for it. and when I got it, didn't get far in it at all. Then when I was 16 I went and bought a re-chipped nes and beat it. Another question, who has played this on an actual console. so many remakes and with Roms I wonder if we're becoming a dying breed.

Vyk
10-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Well we're old and obsolete. Not necessarily dying. Just tossed aside. I played it and beat it on an NES when I was a kid. And I've tried the newer version and just don't like them. And its not really even a nostalgia thing. 'Cause NES games sometimes NEED updated. But there's just something about FF1 that made it fun in its original format. I even like the look of it. Though that might be perpetuated by my love of 8-bit Theater and stuff of that ilk

VeloZer0
10-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I first played it in 2004. And I liked it better than FFX....

Levian
10-15-2010, 01:12 AM
It wasn't released in Europe until 2003, so nope, I didn't play it back then on the NES.

Tarshish
10-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Wow, I didn't know it wasn't released in Europe until then. I am by no means saying that getting late to the game is bad. I just think it's amazing this game could have such staying power. I honestly think it's cool that there are roms so kids today who've never even played an NES can get a crack at it.

Vyk
10-15-2010, 03:52 AM
And people like Black Orb are hacking the game so you get a completely different experience with new characters and new stories :]

theundeadhero
10-15-2010, 05:11 AM
I first played in on my NES in 1995. I still use the NES version any time I feel like playing through it again.

Raistlin
10-17-2010, 03:44 AM
I've played it on the actual console, but only once, after I bought a few NES games on ebay many years ago. It's just easier to emulate.

Wolf Kanno
10-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Had a friend try to talk my into playing back in the day but I wasn't interested in rpgs back then. I was more of side scroller/blow :bou::bou::bou::bou: up kinda guy growing up. I finally picked up my own copy of the game in 97 and was playing this and DQ1 before I picked up a PS1.

Regretfully, I never beat it on the NES cause my copy was old and abused so it would crash every time I got to Elfland so it wasn't until FF Origins that I got a chance to play it to completion. I really love the game, though I haven't been happy with the later ports after Origins cause they really did go out of their way to nerf the game.

black orb
10-19-2010, 03:46 AM
>>> Played and beat it on the NES like 13 years ago..:luca:

Elskidor
11-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Played it first on NES, but never beat it back then. Revisited it on the playstation years later and beat FF1 and FF2 for the first time. And now I'm currently wrapping up on another version for PSP. I wonder just how many times are they going to be remaking this classic?

Mirage
11-11-2010, 11:44 AM
As this game gets older. I'm wondering who played this when it first came out? I was about six or seven, and Nintendo Power released a guide to this game, I didn't have it. Begged my mom for it. and when I got it, didn't get far in it at all. Then when I was 16 I went and bought a re-chipped nes and beat it. Another question, who has played this on an actual console. so many remakes and with Roms I wonder if we're becoming a dying breed.

I would say most people have played it on an actual console, considering the GBA and PS1 are both consoles.

Nevermore
11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
I first played it in 2004. And I liked it better than FFX....

Oh hell yeah. :beer:

I played first on that PS1 port that also had FFII, then on the PSP port.

KainHighwind
01-11-2011, 06:18 AM
I can't believe how old I am.

Nor can I believe I registered here in 2001.

Hot Shot
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I played it in 2003 I believe (FF Origins). I was talking to my step mum whilst playing FFXIII and she told me how it came out during her teens and I realised how old it is. It's the same age as my eldest brother. But it also makes me realise how young I am compared to some of the other members on this site.

DMKA
01-20-2011, 04:03 AM
I first played it when I got the internet at home and discovered what emulation was back in 2002 or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it but still have yet to finish it (got all the way to the last dungeon then my 486 decided to bite the dust). I remember getting to the Ice Cave and not being able to believe how hard it was. Nothing I'd ever encountered in a Final Fantasy game had proved that formidably challenging to me at that point.

I wonder if anyone will still take the time to find and play it decades from now? I think it's awesome that people are still finding it and playing it today at it's age.

Hot Shot
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
It just goes to show how timeless the FF series as a whole is. If you're a gamer who doesn't judge a game on it's graphics you'll love them all (well nearly all of them). When I got my PS3, I played FF IX on it more than XIII, which I still haven't completed (I don't have to want to complete but I will one day). And FF is so unbelievable hard and so is the whole of the NES era, but that might just be because I'm not very good at games.

ReloadPsi
04-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I bought this game when it first came out... in Europe, in the early 2000s. That is when it first came out over here, so as far as I care, that counts. I haven't had any luck in finding a way to get an NTSC NES game to work in my machine, so there.

Bahamut LSU
06-27-2011, 06:13 AM
My brother got it in 1987 when it first came out. I was only 3 years old at the time so I didn't play it then. I played through it for the first time during the summer of 1991. I still have my original NES with this game.

aquatius
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
I wasn't even born then. Well that's humbling.

Jiro
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Agreed! Still half a decade til I even turned up on the scene.

Pike
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Knowing that I'm nearly five years older than Final Fantasy makes me feel old.

I Don't Need A Name
06-30-2011, 04:07 PM
It may be 23 years old, but it's still going strong! You know why!? Because of the love of the Misfits! That's why!

sad.mind
09-03-2011, 06:09 AM
When Origins came out. Then I checked it out on an NES ROM, and last week I got the actual cart.

Gamblet
10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Wow, this game is 7-8 years older than me. :D I beat the Origins version on PS1 and it was pretty hard, dungeons were sometimes annoying because of the limited amounts of items, so I had to go back and forth from towns and dungeons, Chaos also took me like 7 tries before I beat he/she/shemale/it/animal/devil/satan. :thumbsup:

Bolivar
10-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I've played the original US NES eversion on an emulator on my brother's dreamcast. I got up to the Ice Cave where you go for the Levistone before stopping. That was hard. I'm sure it must be awesome to beat that game but I don't think I have the stomach for it.

I've beaten the FFI & II GBA version multiple times. It is too easy. I tried running from all battles until the bridge is completed at the beginning, but the difficulty came back to way too easy at the Water cave/temple/crystal/whatever.

Still, it's a wonderful experience and an interesting formula that has stood the test of time. Love FFI.

Wolf Kanno
10-08-2011, 11:10 PM
My original copy of the game stopped working some time ago, the game would crash anytime I got to the Marsh Caves and my saves would be deleted. So I never actually finished the game until Origins came out. Recently, I picked up the game on Virtual Console and have finally been playing through the NES version past the point my old game would meltdown, and its been a blast. I don't know what it is about these simple 8-bit rpgs but good god are they addicting. I have a Dragon Warrior 1 file I'm still playing through.

I've been meaning to write an article about FFI, maybe I'll do it when I'm finished with my current playthrough. :D

Pike
10-09-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm playing this game right now and it's fun as hell. It has elves, it has dorfs, it has Black Mage one-shotting everyone and it's just glorious.

Bolivar
10-12-2011, 02:47 AM
My original copy of the game stopped working some time ago, the game would crash anytime I got to the Marsh Caves and my saves would be deleted. So I never actually finished the game until Origins came out. Recently, I picked up the game on Virtual Console and have finally been playing through the NES version past the point my old game would meltdown, and its been a blast. I don't know what it is about these simple 8-bit rpgs but good god are they addicting. I have a Dragon Warrior 1 file I'm still playing through.

I've been meaning to write an article about FFI, maybe I'll do it when I'm finished with my current playthrough. :D

Awesome, I can't wait to explain why your position is tenuous at best.

Hollycat
10-12-2011, 04:23 AM
And then There are people like me who are rewriting FF 1 to make it an action romance

Wolf Kanno
10-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Awesome, I can't wait to explain why your position is tenuous at best.

I love how you assume you will disagree with my position. :p

Jiro
10-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Experience is a wonderful thing my friend :p

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2011, 06:08 AM
He can still give me the courtesy of reading it first before disagreeing with me :colbert:

VeloZer0
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
He can still give me the courtesy of reading it first before disagreeing with me :colbert:
Most politicians would disagree with you.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
That's true :(

Hollycat
10-14-2011, 10:06 PM
ff1 is number 1.
Literally.

nectarsis
01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I played it when it was just a cvouple months out at a friends house...I saved up and bought it shortly after.

Sephex
01-26-2012, 04:23 AM
I got it when it first came out because a cousin of mine were already into RPGs because of Dragon Warrior and ancient PC RPGs. He convinced his mom to buy it at a rental place of some kind (perhaps they had the game on sale?), and I fell in love with it. I got it as a gift not long after my cousin.

Kinda off the subject, but the age of some games have been freaking me out lately. This summer I will be turning 30, so I guess that's to be expected. Still, the fact that Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will be 10 years old later this year still makes me feel like time marches on too quickly.

ffmouse
09-05-2012, 04:49 AM
the 1st FF game i played was ff6 for the snes. then ff7 for the PS. i now have all FF games for the PS, PS2 and PS3. i go back nd forth between the games, but currently on FF1. reading the guide for FF1 and playing it on the PS, things r different. city names r different, as well as prices that r listed in the guide. but i love all the FF games. and btw, i think the reason for all the remakes is because this is the final fantasy game that started it all

Mercen-X
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I owned a console but never managed to obtain FF for it. My first FF on a console was FF2 for SNES. My cousin let me play a bit when he'd been called away for something, so I tried to fight Cagnazzo. I don't remember whether I survived. As I didn't own an SNES, you can imagine that I didn't play an FF again until VII was released for PS. Don't ask me why we bought a Sega and a PlayStation without ever having picked up an SNES. I can't answer. By the way, when I first read about FF7 in T&T magazine, I had no memory of FF2 thus had no idea what it was. But it looked cool, so rented it and then I bought it and then I bought the rest of them.