PDA

View Full Version : To all Soul Calibur fans - need feedback and avice on current project.

MJN SEIFER
10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
On the Soul Calibur Wikia, you are actually allowed to create a page for your own fan game, providing you state that it is a fan game, and follow the rules of the site.

I have begun creating my own fan game, but I would like feedback on how it is going and (more importantly) advice on giving a more proffesional writing. It is set after SCIV and ignores any games after that including Broken Destiny.

It is not finished, but any help will be appreciated.

Just tell me here, don't edit the page unless it's to correct spelling and gramar (don't de-americanize it though - it IS written by me after all).

Edit: a link would help right? (http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/FanGame:_SoulCalibur:_The_Soul_of_Arcturus)

JKTrix
10-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I think this should be addressed to SoulCalibur *and* Fan Fiction fans. Because I like SoulCalibur (in fact it's why I came to this site in a roundabout way...), but I don't like fan fiction (hence I'm personally not going to read this).

As far as feedback from this website goes, maybe you would get more useful responses from the Writer's Corner sections if this thread doesn't prove too constructive.

Vyk
10-15-2010, 03:10 AM
The wiki says your game would play like an updated version of Soul Calibur 4. Soul Calibur 4 is the most up to date version. And, no offense, but I'm sure its -way- beyond one person's programming capabilities. So I'm sure I'm missing something..

You have Edge Master/Tales of Souls mode, but no Chronicles of the Sword mode :( lol Though I think I'm like the only person in the world who appreciated that mode. But then I saw the potential of it and enjoyed the simplicity of it. Everyone else was expecting something else. I think if it were refined more, it would have been excellent. A tactical RPG that plays out encounters like a fighting game? Who hasn't wanted an RPG to fight like a fighting game? It was SO close to something I've wanted for ages

JKTrix
10-15-2010, 04:22 AM
So I'm sure I'm missing something..
It's fan fiction. I doubt he really intends to do anything much further than just text.

Vyk
10-15-2010, 04:54 AM
I have begun creating my own fan game

Have I misinterpreted this then? I'm not sure a Wiki site is the best place for posting fictional details about a non-existent game, then..

Mo-Nercy
10-15-2010, 06:45 AM
You can't have a Soul game if Nightmare AND Siegfreid explode into millions of tiny little pieces.

I'd personally like to see a revival of SC2-style Nightmare (when he had all but taken over Siegfreid's body). That guy was freakin' awesome. Soul Charge Level 3, 66B ftw.

Anyway, I'm confused as to how this 'game' actually plays. You say it's an actual game playing like SCIV, but then you've asked for professional writing tips.. So is it a fanfic or a fangame. If it's the latter - I think a fully fleshed out fighting game of any kind requires more work than one person can put forth.

TyphoonThaReapa
10-15-2010, 07:18 AM
The wiki says your game would play like an updated version of Soul Calibur 4. Soul Calibur 4 is the most up to date version. And, no offense, but I'm sure its -way- beyond one person's programming capabilities. So I'm sure I'm missing something..

You have Edge Master/Tales of Souls mode, but no Chronicles of the Sword mode :( lol Though I think I'm like the only person in the world who appreciated that mode. But then I saw the potential of it and enjoyed the simplicity of it. Everyone else was expecting something else. I think if it were refined more, it would have been excellent. A tactical RPG that plays out encounters like a fighting game? Who hasn't wanted an RPG to fight like a fighting game? It was SO close to something I've wanted for ages

I feel the exact same way

JKTrix
10-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Okay, I think part of the confusion is my fault in insisting that this is fan fiction (because it is), but 'Fanon' and 'Fan Game' are apparently specific terminologies related to this kind of thing. Whereas here, people associate a 'fan game' with someone programming something you can play or using Mugen.

He's making a wiki page for this game as if it actually existed, but it does not and it will not. It's basically design brainstorming for a game that will not be made. Essentially fan fiction.

So he's asking for things that will make the writing on the wiki page better, which is why I suggested that the Writing Corner would be a better fit. Since us gamers would think he wanted to make a playable game.

Vyk
10-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Its really none of my business, but in that regard I cannot approve of putting fictitious information on a Wiki page. That just sounds like a terrible idea on the part of the Wiki admins to allow that sort of thing

MJN SEIFER
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
I think this should be addressed to SoulCalibur *and* Fan Fiction fans. Because I like SoulCalibur (in fact it's why I came to this site in a roundabout way...), but I don't like fan fiction (hence I'm personally not going to read this).

As far as feedback from this website goes, maybe you would get more useful responses from the Writer's Corner sections if this thread doesn't prove too constructive.

I forgot that some people find Fanfiction/Fanon controversial. I may concider requesting this to be moved.

I mostly meant it would have more stuff than SCIV (if it was real), one dissapointing thing about SCIV in my opinion is that it didn't have some of the things the previous ones did. My "game" adds classic subjects like an "adventure" type mode, and Destined Battles - I guess if the game was real it *could* be "updated" in the way your describing - that's where the readers imagination comes in.

I haven't finished CoS yet. But now that you've mentioned it, another version of that mode might be a good idea- though I have no idea how I'd include it, so sugestions welcome. I haven't even included a character creation yet, so if I do maybe THAT will be used for this mode?

You can't have a Soul game if Nightmare AND Siegfreid explode into millions of tiny little pieces.

Lol... They don't. I haven't finished the storyline yet, but the swords are what explode (Soul Calibur is damaged most), but because they're not ordinary swords they are not destroyed. Siegfried and Nightmare do not die, and I never said they did. I initially said they "found themselves hurtling through the atmosphere" I may edit that to something better, I am at this point concidering that either Soul Calibur sent Siegfried somewhere or simply protected him (I realize in SCIV there is some implication that Soul Calibur may become an evil sword one
day, but at this point it is still mostly good - the game will expand on that aswell) Nightmare IS sort-of destroyed, but that is only a temporary event. Remember he is not a true physical human in SCIII and SCIV, he was just "given" that body (in SC and SCII he was Siegfired turned evil wearing armor - in a sense the "new" Nightmare could be portayed as Siegfried's evil side brought to life) I'm still concidering it, but the "body" gets restored - I'm thinking someone does it to stop this now stray evil force flying around the world, and doesn't have a choice (I'm still working on it) this is also what puts a VERSION of Inferno in the game (not up to that part yet), it's hard to explain but it's in my mind. It's tough to explain, but I really apreicate help.

I'd personally like to see a revival of SC2-style Nightmare (when he had all but taken over Siegfreid's body). That guy was freakin' awesome. Soul Charge Level 3, 66B ftw.

Anyway, I'm confused as to how this 'game' actually plays. You say it's an actual game playing like SCIV, but then you've asked for professional writing tips.. So is it a fanfic or a fangame. If it's the latter - I think a fully fleshed out fighting game of any kind requires more work than one person can put forth.

It's fanon, its basically saying what I'd do if I had the opportunity to make an SC game - a lot of people on that site do it. I'd make it if I could, but I can't because I don't know how (and I wouldn't be able to, you know market it)

Okay, I think part of the confusion is my fault in insisting that this is fan fiction (because it is), but 'Fanon' and 'Fan Game' are apparently specific terminologies related to this kind of thing. Whereas here, people associate a 'fan game' with someone programming something you can play or using Mugen.

He's making a wiki page for this game as if it actually existed, but it does not and it will not. It's basically design brainstorming for a game that will not be made. Essentially fan fiction.

So he's asking for things that will make the writing on the wiki page better, which is why I suggested that the Writing Corner would be a better fit. Since us gamers would think he wanted to make a playable game.

I'm suprised everyone here thought I was capable of making a real game! But I will concider requesting this to be moved to Writer's Corner.

Its really none of my business, but in that regard I cannot approve of putting fictitious information on a Wiki page. That just sounds like a terrible idea on the part of the Wiki admins to allow that sort of thing

Calm down, take a deep breath, and allow me to explain.

It is an extra page on a Wikia that allows memebers to post their own fan games, and characters - it is perfectly alright because you are not allowed to insist it's real. I asked members of the site, and it's fine. It's like a bit of fun for the members, it's not stated as fact like every page about REAL games and characters. It's the choice of the person who made the site, it's not meant to cause any problerms or imply that the games are canon - in fact the admins are strict enough in this section; you are only allowed to create a page for your game, and pages for your characters. You can't alter any canon pages to match fanon, and if you decide to include a "guest" character from another series, you can (which I have) but you can't create a seperate page for him/her, and you have to state that its a copyrighted character. Here are the "Rules of Fanon" (http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Rules_of_Fanon)

I want to appologies if I caused any offense in my first post, but I am acting above board. I am merley having some fun with permision by admins of that Wikia, but I want it to look good - I have the ideas in my mind, but I have an inferioty complex about this sort of thing, I have ideas in my mind, but sometimes I don't write it down correctly (hence Mo-Nercy thought I was killing off two characters but I wasn't - I obviously didn't write that part well so it made no sense) so that is why I am asking for advice as to how I could write things better, and as I said earlier in this post, I realize that some people find fanfiction/fanon controversial, but I (and a lot of people who create them) are just having harmless fun, and I am making sure I don't do anything that turns people against Fanfictions, namley demonizing hated characters, and making "sue" characters - there are admitidly two characters I don't much like in SC, but I am giving them a justified storyline like everyone else. I am also not going to give my created characters any unfair advantage - they will be flawed and have their weaknesses. The only characters who would get an unfair advantage if the game was real, are the two final enimies - both of them are updated versions of characters created by Namco, so they are not "sues" (and the last fights SHOULD be unfair).

Basically all I am doing this for is fun,and would like advice. I would like to thank Vyk who actually DID give advice for the game, and I will concider it, and I will appreciate help from anyone else, but I am not trying to cause any offense.

If an admin wants to put this in Writing Corner that's obviously ok.

Vyk
10-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I think I may have misrepresented myself. I'm not upset or bothered at all by you doing this, or anything like that. The Wiki site obviously allows it, so have fun

My problem was that the idea is so foreign to me. Wiki's are generally regarded as the internet's version of an Encyclopedia. Granted, that's a really loose definition. But still, the runners of a wiki try to keep the databases as factual as they can. Its just bizarre to me that someone would have a wiki that welcomes non-factual information

I'm totally not against coming up with all sorts of game ideas and fantasies about said games. I've just never seen it done in this format. But you haven't offended me or anything. And I don't think this really needs to be moved. I've just never heard of anything like that. So I guess this is my first exposure to "fanon". Or at least in this nature

Sorry I kinda de-railed your thread for a moment. But thanks to you and JKTrix for clearing it up for me

MJN SEIFER
10-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I think I may have misrepresented myself. I'm not upset or bothered at all by you doing this, or anything like that. The Wiki site obviously allows it, so have fun

My problem was that the idea is so foreign to me. Wiki's are generally regarded as the internet's version of an Encyclopedia. Granted, that's a really loose definition. But still, the runners of a wiki try to keep the databases as factual as they can. Its just bizarre to me that someone would have a wiki that welcomes non-factual information

I'm totally not against coming up with all sorts of game ideas and fantasies about said games. I've just never seen it done in this format. But you haven't offended me or anything. And I don't think this really needs to be moved. I've just never heard of anything like that. So I guess this is my first exposure to "fanon". Or at least in this nature

Sorry I kinda de-railed your thread for a moment. But thanks to you and JKTrix for clearing it up for me

That's ok, it's kind of my first real experience of it like this, which is basically the reason why I asked for feed back, and pointers on how I can make it look more proffesional.