PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge sequel please!

Jessweeee♪
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
So googling back through the years I see there's been a lot of "yeah maybe" "yes we are" "no we are not who said that" and "we really want to" on the subject, but no definite yes.

What are your thoughts on the game? What would you want to see in a sequel?

I think it would be kind of cool to be able to explore the whole city. It's just so pretty. I loved just climbing onto the highest and oddest peaks in Assassin's Creed, and Mirror's Edge pretty much perfected the art of free running in a game. On the other hand it could possibly take away from the whole "get from point A to point B as fast and as awesomely as possible" that I loved in Mirror's Edge. It's certainly possible to have both though.

Depression Moon
10-15-2010, 08:03 PM
OH YES BEEEEAAAAHHHHBYYYY!

Dreddz
10-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Nahh, I'm alright. Mirrors Edge was a huge disappointment. The whole idea of running from A to B as fast as possible was fun at first but seeing as the levels were all too similar the game just felt like it was repeating itself over and over again. That and the story sucked. Graphics were definitely a highlight though.

*Devore*
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I liked it, simple but fun. I didn't enjoy the fighting, it wasn't fluant enough and most of the time I found it a lot easier to just ignore all the bad guy and head staight for the exit.
If a sequal is made I would hope that there would be less fighting and some kind of co-op/versus mode. I'm not a fan of time trials.

Depression Moon
10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
I had only rented the game for a few days for free, but by golly those days were like walking into my house and finding myself in another dimension. That dimension was filled with trees as tall as the eye can see and they had the lushest shade of green. The sky was filled with the most pleasant clouds and doves flew along them. The sun was bright, but not bearing and hot. It was like walking into a Utopia filled with your fantasies realized as not actually being fantasy, but being one and true. It was as if my brain was injected with the most euphoric drugs, but it had no consequences. It was actually good for the body and mind. It was essential to have it to see how wonderful life is and all the potential it contains.

Never had I felt that I was bestowed with such a blessed gift. It was like a pair of divine hands had tore through the sky and handed me the key of all peace, wisdom, and felicity.
I had never seen a game like this in my life. I was so amazed by it when I had started the game and saw it's astounding design. The game was like a first person Prince of Persia game. I had asked why has no ever done something so amazingly benevolent before. The graphics I describe as extremely expensive and high tech legos. The design was simple, but sleek, shiny, and beautiful to look at. When I began it was a bit of a mixed process of me learning the controls of the game, but I had soon found ease with them. The design elements gave you a bolster of adrenaline. The sheer knowledge that these auspicious men were after you and you had no means to fight got your heart racing. The use of color to signal your path was a nice, simple, and ultimately workable feature. Everything intensified even more when you got good enough at the controls of the game to tackle obstacles in a speedy manner. It felt fluid, exhilarating and wonderful to run, hop over a rail, slide under a low passing, then sprinting to the edge of a roof, then leaping into the air and rolling safely onto the roof of the next building. Let's not also forget that sense of fear and WOOOH! when you take a leap and barely catch the other roof hanging onto the edge. It feels more real in a first person view. A character like the Prince would have to scope his environment before her ran and climbed those obstacles. The same applies here with Faith. I made the mistake quite a few times of just running and climbing the first thing I saw. You have to know while you're sliding down that pipe where the next platform is, if you don't you might jump to your death. The game challenged in a such a way man. FOOOF!

The game did have some flaws though like any game, but the good so much outweighed the bad. The few cutscenes that I saw I didn't like the transition of them, nor the eSurance artstyle. I'm fine with 2-D cutscenes. The combat was decent I have to say, but it could improve in so many ways. I felt it looked great, but played a little iffy. I can't go into much detail because I haven't played it in about a year or two. I truly cannot remember and I feel ashamed for it. No it had to be last year as I have only had my PS3 for a little over than a year. What I would like to see done with the combat is a refinement in the complexity, animations, and heaviness of it. I'm particularly talking about the unarmed combat from that last sentence. I wish I had the game here so I could know the current controls so I could make an evaluation of how the controls should change for hand-to-hand combat. The gunplay well I think there needs to be an improvement on the aiming of the weapons. They did well by putting realism into carrying weapons. Two handed guns makes it harder for you to run, but hand guns is a nice on the run weapon. I can't remember if melee weapons were used, but those would be good if they weren't included and they could have some nice animations for stealth attacks along with the guns.

As far as the platforming, amp it up. Make it even more satisfying . I hadn't completed the game to completion, but I believe there should be some hazardous platforms like in uncharted where bridges might start to collapse, you're walking atop of a glass roof building and enemies can shoot the glass beneath your feet causing a sure death. Give us rigged platforms. Give us temp partners that allow for new abilities like climbing to higher ledges, or each of us grabbing an end of a flag and flying through the air with it. The narrative can do for some more complex and enriching writing as well. If all these things are implemented then we will have one of the best games ever in our lives.

It is too sad though that this game was canceled. I felt like a was a glass man and an bull had charged through me on that day when I found that out. Why oh why did that happened? I remembered reading it back in an issue of GI a while ago. It would hurt me to look for it and read it again, but I must question their reasoning and why no one has bothered to carry it on. Maybe someone has and just hasn't done it yet. We don't know. I only hope so and I would like to give my blessings to the team that brings it back to life for giving the world another endless fountain of inspiration.

Seraphic
10-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I loved this game!
Although I agree I felt the fighting was a little incomplete. Like if you are going to have a slide move, it should combo into other melee attacks right? The gunplay was alright but it wasn't really necessary at all if you disarmed people quick enough or just ran away from them.
But I loved the whole concept and the graphics, it felt like The Matrix or something, running away from all of these armored guys to get to some exit point.
As far as the story goes, I feel like there is alot more there if it were just allowed to explore a little further.
My speculation: Since Merc kind of disappears towards the end of the game without explanation, and the big thing about profiling all the runners to stop them was called Project Icarus, I feel like he is behind the whole thing. Only because Merc actually stands for Mercury, and Icarus in greek mythology is supposed to be his son or something right?
Just a thought.

Madame Adequate
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
? (http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_confirms_small_team_working_on_mirror_s_edge_2.html) I've not heard anything to contradict this since. There fucking BETTER be a sequel, Mirror's Edge is one of the most refreshing games to come out in the last decade, and although it had its flaws, it was immensely fun to play. Absolutely brilliant, and the first good new thing to happen to platforming since Jumping Flash came out in 1995. Unless you count SotC as a platformer :p

I'll tell you what they shouldn't do: They shouldn't make it open world. Unless they put enough money into it to design a world that puts Liberty City to shame, they simply aren't going to make it as cohesive and flowing.

JKTrix
10-16-2010, 12:18 AM
It took me longer to read Depression Moon's post than it did to beat the game.

I would like to see them refine the ideas they had in the first game, since it really was interesting. They have said that they are pretty committed to a 2nd game, but these things take time. Dead Space, another game from the same umbrella company that came out at the same time in 2008, has a sequel coming out in January. However, that division pretty much just makes Dead Space, while the guys who made Mirror's Edge are spread out all over EA's first person shooter products. Like Medal of Honor that just released this week.

So the resources for planning/developing the sequel to Mirror's Edge are probably still a little thin at this point, but they did promise that it's coming.

Jessweeee♪
10-16-2010, 12:28 AM
The only thing about the fighting that bothered me was that it was a little contradictory. They made it clear that it was best to run because you should always gogogo and never not gogogo because Runners aren't fighters, but then in later levels that became impractical (though not impossible). Though I guess the important thing is that it's fun, and I did have fun whether I was running or kicking guys off of a wall run.

DMKA
10-16-2010, 05:00 AM
It had a huge budget and sold terribly.

I wouldn't expect a sequel.

JKTrix
10-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Except they said they're making a sequel (http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_confirms_small_team_working_on_mirror_s_edge_2.html) while acknowledging the disappointing sales (http://www.next-gen.biz/news/ea-still-has-faith-mirrors-edge-franchise). Dead Space didn't light the world on fire either.

An iPod/iPhone version of Mirror's Edge came out last month. A Mac version is supposed to be coming out later this year. They have not dropped the franchise and are trying keeping it alive.

It just takes time. But it's a good idea to not get your hopes up for things in general if you don't like to be disappointed.

kotora
10-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't want a sequel. Just because a game is good doesn't mean they have to make a sequel. I'd rather have the devs make another game that's equally refreshing.

DMKA
10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Except they said they're making a sequel (http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_confirms_small_team_working_on_mirror_s_edge_2.html) while acknowledging the disappointing sales (http://www.next-gen.biz/news/ea-still-has-faith-mirrors-edge-franchise). Dead Space didn't light the world on fire either.
No where in that article does it say there's a sequel to Mirror's Edge being made. It just says that some dude from EA said that you can expect another Mirror's Edge title sometime in the future but no idea how or when so it could be 30 years from now.

But that is news to me.

Dreddz
10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Wasn't it DICE who made Mirrors Edge? If I'm not mistaken their hands are full with Battlefield at the moment. I'd imagine we won't see a Mirrors Edge sequel until after Battlefield 3. Or maybe I'm just unaware at how big DICE's development studio is.

JKTrix
10-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I didn't mention them by name, but yes it's DICE who made Mirror's Edge. I mentioned that they're involved in pretty much all of EA's first person shooters now, as they crafted the multiplayer mode of just-released Medal of Honor. Any team that may be involved with ME right now would be very small.

I don't want a sequel. Just because a game is good doesn't mean they have to make a sequel. I'd rather have the devs make another game that's equally refreshing.
If Mirror's Edge was perfectly executed the first time then I'd be less interested in a sequel. However as some people have said, the game had some big issues. A sequel could iron out some of the problems it had. I don't know if any of you played Scribblenauts, but it was a similar situation with that game. Had great ideas but some pretty serious issues. Super Scribblenauts also came out this week and fixed a lot of those bigger issues, making it a much better game all around.

Jessweeee♪
10-18-2010, 03:07 AM
I think Assassin's Creed II is an excellent example of sequel improvement. The first game was a lot of fun and had a very intriguing plot, but it could get pretty repetitive. There were a lot of small issues that weren't deal breakers, but were still pretty annoying. One of the most noteworthy being the fact that a top assassin freaks the smurf out when he touches water. Okay, he's got some thick robes and those weapons probably aren't very light, but isn't he overreacting a bit?

Assassin's Creed II had a lot of "oh yeah the old animus had this weird water bug" and "HEY I NOTICED YOU PUT IN SOME SUBTITLES THAT'S PRETTY COOL *wink wink*" Ubisoft fixed pretty much every annoyance and took everything that was neat about Assassin's Creed and made it awesome. The gameplay improved far beyond everybody's expectations while the continuation of the plot was seamless.

Stuff like that is why I love sequels :3

Vyk
10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Indeed. The world would not have been the same had they stopped at Grand Theft Auto 1, or the first Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy. Though I do agree that sequels are often milked as a potential for simply more money. But if they're made from the right angle they can be a great idea. And generally in video game terms they tend to get better as they go. At least for a little while. But sometimes they do need to learn to just let go

Madame Adequate
10-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I want a Mirror's Edge sequel because I want to see how good it will be when they have had the chance to refine and polish everything, removing the problems from the first game etc.

Jiro
10-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvdMGbOjAaQ) and was like "OH MY FUCKING GOD SEQUEL YES YES YESS" but it's not a sequel however it is awesome watch it

Roto13
10-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Mirror's Edge was a brand new idea. It's not surprising that it had some nagging flaws. (I love it, but it's hard to deny that the combat was annoying and there were too many indoor levels.)

But this is why sequels exist. DICE is a competent studio. Mirror's Edge 2 has a lot of potential.

Seraphic
10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvdMGbOjAaQ) and was like "OH MY smurfING GOD SEQUEL YES YES YESS" but it's not a sequel however it is awesome watch it

That was amazing!
Even though some parts seem like it would be hard to translate to a game, it was really well made.

Wow, a 16 year old boy made that, that's pretty impressive!