PDA

View Full Version : The Races of FFIX

Depression Moon
10-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Playing FFIX I was always curious about the races of that game. We aren't really given much knowledge on them with the exception of the Bur, Cleyr? What exactly is the name of their race? Also we only get to see light of only three Qu's. Take a look at Alexandria it seems to be filled with people of many races. Blank looks like a living ragdoll, what the hell are the Nero brothers? Why does Ruby have white skin and blue hair? What the hell is Brahne she has blue skin, blonde hair, and the skin of the elephant man?

Is Amarant a mutant? He has blue skin and red hair like Mystique. I spotted Hippo and fish people in Alexandria and gray skinned people in Treno. Do these races have a country or homes of their own like the rat people, Qu's, Summoners, and Dwarves do?

vivi the master
10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
From what I know here is a list of races
Human (Amarant is confirmed human...which most likely makes Brahne human to...just blue skin disease?)
Black Mage
Summoner
Burmecian (I believe thats the name..Clerya goes under that)
GILGAMESH (He gets his own race)
Hippo (I don't know)
Duck (with the trumpet)
Qu
Genome (a little late)
Monster (not going into detail)
Thats all I can think of

Depression Moon
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh man I can't believe I forgot moogles, considering they're everywhere in the game.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/Prettyypenguin/FF%20IX/walkthrough04.jpg

What are these guys?

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/Prettyypenguin/FF%20IX/walkthrough024.jpg

Clo
10-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, there are lion people.

What I wonder is if there are interspecies relations. What kind of children do they make?! Is that what Brahne is?! This is all very unsettling.

Lionx
10-26-2010, 05:50 AM
I think its awesome that love can go beyond species <3 :love:

Jiro
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm still damn scared that Brahne birthed Garnet. Wtf.

Blank and Marcus are just guys who can see through things really well.

Roogle
10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
I did not like the diversity found in Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

I'm still damn scared that Brahne birthed Garnet. Wtf.

Brahne is not the biological mother of Garnet.

Depression Moon
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah she is. You know there were two Garnets right?

Also what's wrong with diversity? It's a shame they didn't give any info or background history on these races in the Ultimania.

charliepanayi
10-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I did not like the diversity found in Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

Not a fan of hippo people huh. I really liked the different races in FFIX, it's a fun aspect to the game.

Roogle
10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah she is. You know there were two Garnets right?

Also what's wrong with diversity? It's a shame they didn't give any info or background history on these races in the Ultimania.

We never see the original Princess Garnet. She could have turned blue when she was older like Queen Brahne, for all we know.

I do not like most anthropomorphic creatures because of the furry fandom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom). I like animals, though, so if they were not sentient creatures then they would have been just fine!

charliepanayi
10-26-2010, 10:56 PM
That's ridiculous, you don't like some of the character designs in the game because of a daft fandom? FFIX has nothing to do with furries.

Lionx
10-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Roogle does not like me for some reason :(

McLovin'
10-27-2010, 03:34 AM
And the Dwarf people! Rally-ho!

Roogle
10-27-2010, 07:37 PM
That's ridiculous, you don't like some of the character designs in the game because of a daft fandom? FFIX has nothing to do with furries.

A majority of the characters in Final Fantasy IX have anthropomorphic designs. Unfortunately, I do not like anthropomorphic designs and their places in their respective worlds because I find them implausible, and, thus, find it hard to enjoy them.

I mean, come on, can you really envision that a world with dozens of sentient species would function in harmony like portrayed in some fantasy stories? Humans cannot even get along with each other.

I think Western games handle these creatures better than the pleasant diversity portrayed in Eastern games.

The furry fandom is an unfortunate secondary reason that ruined, for me, any fantastic appeal that anthropomorphism would normally hold.

Roogle does not like me for some reason :(

I do not hold anything against individuals without context.

charliepanayi
10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
You find the character designs implausible? It's a fantasy world! And you're annoyed that the game doesn't go in for hard-hitting social commentary? I think you're asking for too much somewhat. Besides, what harmony? FFIX has war and death and coming to terms with one's own mortality. What game were you playing?

Roogle
10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
The many fantastic races of Final Fantasy IX living in harmony has very little to do with the conflicts and disharmony that take place over the course of the story. It doesn't matter if the story itself dealt with mortality and war, as I am talking about a problem that I had with the setting and character designs of the game.

Yes, I have a problem with fantasy worlds where a dozen or more sentient species can communicate and live in peace without any issue. The fact is that the intermingling of the fantastic races and cultures was so normalized in the context of the game that we, as players, miss out on information to even the simplest of questions as posed in the opening post of this topic. We don't even know what Amarant is!

I was playing Final Fantasy IX, charliepanayi. I understand that many people like the game for its return to the roots of the series, and I enjoyed the game for its gameplay, but I had a problem with the aesthetic appeal of the game.

Depression Moon
10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm certain that the Black Mages were afraid of humans and the Summoners were not so adorning of outsiders. Also from the result of the war the Burmecians couldn't have been too kindly to those from Alexandria after that war.

Freya
11-02-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't know what game you were playing but the game I played had A race put a freaking sandstorm up because they didn't like people.

Dignified Pauper
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
The game clearly takes place in Narnia!

Shiny
11-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Brahne is of the Rosie O'donnell race.