PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling on People! :D

KentaRawr!
10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Cancelling on people is unpleasant, especially if you know that they're particularly busy people, or if they at least feel like they're busy. Because then you know that in their busy planning, they set up a certain time for you! How thoughtful! :D But then you dash it aside. Aaaah.

Recently, I was going to go to the movies with a friend of my sister's, because she asked! :3 She said that if I'd like to hang out at a movie or something similar, I should give her a call. She said it was because she missed my birthday. o,o Anyway, we ended up deciding on Sunday. However, my Mom told me Sunday morning she needed me to be home with my two autistic brothers because she was going to the Asian market (and to see Barack Obama's speech) that day! So, right when I was about to text my sister's friend, she texted to me how excited she was, and which movie she'd like to see. And then I cancelled on her and now she isn't returning my texts. :crying:

Do you guys have any awful stories of either being forced to cancel on someone or being cancelled on? :0

Cuchulainn
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I do it all the time. I don't mean to but it's unavoidable. Not enough hours in the day.

Rodarian
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
My date canceled on me today....Her brother is unwell and she needed to take care of him (he's also an epileptic patient) Can't say I wasn't disappointed but I like her so I'll give the benefit of the doubt...

I've had a lot people here who seem to miss dates of expected meet ups...

I don't find it amusing at all.

Bunny
10-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I very rarely cancel on someone or get cancelled on.

When I do have to cancel on someone, it is for an understandable and unavoidable reason and the other person accepts the fact and we discuss a rescheduling of events, if possible.

When I get cancelled on, I view it as an opportunity to get more sleep.

Shlup
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I can only think of one time I felt bad for having to cancel on someone.

It was my mother's 50th birthday. The freeway between us was literally on fire--a tanker truck had exploded. There was no way to get to her. I was sad; I'm her only kid and 50 is a big deal.

Vyk
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
When I get cancelled on, I view it as an opportunity to get more sleep.

lol Pretty much here too. I never get invited to anything that I super extremely look forward to. Or anything that can't be rescheduled

Though I have invited a couple of people to such things (a meteor shower viewing, for instance), and got more stood up than cancelled on. Which kinda blows more. But whatever. I try to let things roll off as best I can

I tend to not cancel. Not a lot of worthwhile stuff interrupts my life. I usually know what's going on. And I don't let people guilt me out of obligations or anything

Seraphic
10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
One time I planned to go to the movies with a friend of mine and I told him to search for the best time that was convenient for him because I was working I couldn't decide at the moment. So when I get off of work, I text him to see if he'd decided and he said that I took too long to respond (?) and had made other plans.
I was okay with this since I was tired anyway and wanted to get some sleep as mentioned by some of you.
Although a few hours later he texts me to say how great the movie that we were supposed to see together was.:colbert:
Not okay.

Laddy
10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm actually very good at planning, something I am quite proud of. I always give myself time before I verify or RSVP or make plans, but you can very well be sure if I do it's gonna end up right.

Iceglow
10-19-2010, 10:53 PM
I have to cancel on people from time to time though not if I can help it. When I do cancel though I never feel guilty for long about it because I know I've tried. I'm still the kind of legend who doesn't sleep for a week but still heeds the call of a friend in need is a friend indeed and often will go out on next to no sleep for a friend.

Shiny
10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I've had to do it a few times due to sudden illness or sleep deprivation. Normally I make it up to the person by spending time with them the following week (and bashing them in the face).

Fujiko
10-19-2010, 11:51 PM
(and bashing them in the face).

Of course you would.

Rye
10-19-2010, 11:52 PM
XD

I usually don't cancel on people. I tend to hang out with flaky people who cancel on ME though.

Madame Adequate
10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
I don't like cancellings. I have done it sometimes out of abject terror at the thought of interacting with people, but I long since learned to be non-committal about stuff.

Shorty
10-20-2010, 02:03 AM
I cancel plans if I don't feel up to going out or if something came up, but I always try to give an appropriate amount of notice. If I don't feel up to it, I make up a reason that sounds better (ie, lie) because I don't want the person to know they're getting canceled so I can sit on my couch and talk to you nerds all night instead.

I don't mind if someone cancels plans on me, because I can usually find replacement filler for the evening.

Something I find even ruder than canceling, though, is not giving enough notice - whether it's canceling or rescheduling. If you can't make a date and you text me ten minutes before, that is unacceptable. If you try reschedule with me from 4pm to 3pm and it's 2:40pm, that is unacceptable.

Madonna
10-20-2010, 02:20 AM
I hate people who cancel because their idea of a heads-up is an hour after a designated time. I already know you were not showing up; telling me about it later is redundant.

If we are meeting up someplace for drinks at six and you suddenly cannot make it, you let me know by five. Four-fifty? We are good. Five-oh-nine? We are not friends for a week.

Jiro
10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't like cancellings. I have done it sometimes out of abject terror at the thought of interacting with people, but I long since learned to be non-committal about stuff.

And here I was thinking I was going to be the only one who didn't commit to things to avoid potential cancellations!

Alive-Cat
10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I remember the time me and Kentarou were supposed to go to the zoo and he canceled on me.

KentaRawr!
10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
I remember the time me and Kentarou were supposed to go to the zoo and he canceled on me.

Wait what?

Rase
10-28-2010, 07:29 AM
I only commit to things I can do. If I get sick I let them know and just tough it out unless they insist I rest. If I am really ill and/or something unavoidable or of supreme import comes up (get this person to the hospital now!) I call, apologize, and reschedule later. These instances are all things that people understand as vastly important and so no feelings are hurt. I'm also pretty flexible, and unless you don't let me know the plans have changed until after I leave for them I'm usually fine. Even if not I'll just be pissed some, but not enough to hold a grudge (the first time).

Roto13
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I went to LA in June and a friend told me he was going to be in the area at the same time, so I scheduled myself for an evening flight home so we could hang out that day. (I was really busy up until that point.) Then the mothersmurfer stopped answering his phone or emails shortly before I left for LA. I ended up hanging around that goddamn airport all day (because that was the only time I could get a ride out there, and the plan had been for this "friend" to give me a ride when we were done hanging out). The day after I got home I got an email from him saying he was so sorry and blah blah blah and his mother had died which was BULL:bou::bou::bou::bou: because his mother died YEARS ago, and I just told him to kiss my ass. I will never speak to him again for that.

EDIT: Hee hee, Umaro

DMKA
10-29-2010, 04:43 AM
I save people the trouble of canceling on them by not having a social life.

Melissaur
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
OMG my friend Christine is horrible about this. She always asks to hang out then either forgets or something comes up. I've told her about 20 time to just call or text me if something happens and she never does. She has about a 99 percent unreliable rate. Once she was supposed to take me to my probation, and that's something you can't miss or you could go to jail. Well 2 hours after she was supposed to be at my house I call her like "?" and she goes "Yeah my mom won't let me"...-_-... "really? your mom wont let you take your car that you pay for even though you are the one supporting her? Well if I go to jail and the state takes my daughter away, it's your fault" "Sorry" I was so pissed. Like why couldn't call me so I could get another ride? So the lady ended up having to go way out of her way to make sure I could get all my hours done so I wouldn't go to jail. I may not believe in God but damn the Christians here sure are nice.

Chris
11-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I do it all the time. I don't mean to but it's unavoidable. Not enough hours in the day.
This. Sometimes it is just impossible to get everything done in 24 hours. I deal with it when people cancel on me, and if people refuse to get over it when I cancel on them, then who needs them. :eep:

Roto13
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
This. Sometimes it is just impossible to get everything done in 24 hours. I deal with it when people cancel on me, and if people refuse to get over it when I cancel on them, then who needs them. :eep:

If you can't manage your time better, that's on you.

Alive-Cat
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
I can manage my time wetter, that's not you.