PDA

View Full Version : Tomba...

Tarshish
10-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Much to my chagrin, a copy of tomba is going for upwards of 90 bucks on ebay. I guess if I enjoyed this game that much then others must have as well, but I feel this is a little ridiculous. Anyone else wanted to replay this game but only get pissed a used copy costs this much? Guess this should have taught us kids to take better care of our games, I guess.

Vyk
10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
My one friend was always talking about this game. So when I hacked my PSP I hunted it down to download it for him so he could play it on PSP. I found it, downloaded it, and converted it. The game itself is 50mb. Which is ridiculously small for a PSOne game. And when I tried it, I realized why. Its barely more than a 16-bit game. And its ..... insane. There was no rhyme or reason to anything said or done in that game. I couldn't get past the first level

But yeah. I do know someone who adored this game. For whatever reason. Its gotta be more nostalgia than quality

Psychotic
10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Was this the 2D platforming game with that little troll fella with the wacky hair who liked to jump on pigs? I used to love the demo of that, but it was pretty hard to my 12-or-so-year-old self, so I never bothered with the real thing.

DK
10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Was this the 2D platforming game with that little troll fella with the wacky hair who liked to jump on pigs? I used to love the demo of that, but it was pretty hard to my 12-or-so-year-old self, so I never bothered with the real thing.

Yeah I loved the Demo of that too, actually went out of my way to hunt it down and play it a few years ago. Awesome game.

Clo
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I played this entire game. I remember finding some aspects to it creepy. But I can't remember what. I probably repressed them.

Tarshish
10-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah I think I played the demo and decided to rent it after that. I find this game extremely amusing, and I love that it's bascially a16 bit platformer. I understand that we have progressed to better quality graphics, but these games were just so fun!

Vyk
10-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I must have missed something. Or maybe the Demo was better than the game? Or I was introduced to it with too mature a mind. Obviously it was intended for 12-year-olds anyway. I wonder if my nephew would like it

Levian
10-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I played it for the first time this year, after hearing many good things about it. I'm sure I would've loved it if I played it when I was younger, but I just couldn't get into it. I know a lot of the games I played when I was a kid are total crap, but I still love them and play them. I feel like Tomba is one of those games, except I didn't play it as a kid. xD

Anyway, don't buy it, just download it somewhere. Playing PS games on the computer ain't so bad if you have a joystick.

Tarshish
10-21-2010, 06:29 PM
well I actually was doing the swap trick on an old ps2 but it crapped out. I can't justify paying that much when I can get it for free. It's also sitting in my gf's house in Denver. Her mom is just to busy to send it to us.

Jowy
10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
that game was fucking amazing, i rented it once when i was twelve and never saw it again.

speaking of 2D games, I found Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (not greatest hits!) buried in a bargain bin of games at the grocery store when I was 14 for $20. that ranks on the top 10 days of my life.

DMKA
10-22-2010, 03:48 AM
This reminds me of when I was trying to buy Valkyrie Profile and couldn't find it for less than $200...$90 isn't bad for a game as rare as Tomba!

Tarshish
10-22-2010, 06:53 AM
that's crazy. I remember when Valkyrie Profile came out and was like "oh that looks like a cool game." but never picked it up. I kinda wish the PSN would just figure out the rights for some of these games so could just download it on there for 10 bucks.

I Took the Red Pill
10-22-2010, 11:31 PM
that game was smurfing amazing, i rented it once when i was twelve and never saw it again.

Polnareff
10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Funny you started a thread about this game; I just put Tomba! 1 and 2 on my PSP a couple days ago.

I used to have both games, but sold them thinking I'd be able to get them back. Boy was I wrong. The first game popped up at Buybacks last year for about 60 bucks but didn't have enough to buy it.

I was always hoping that maybe they could put both games on PSN. Sony published them and all and they're mostly putting Sony-published stuff on the service. Maybe it'll happen one day.

The thing I liked about the series was that it felt kinda like a Ghouls 'n Ghosts game in terms of difficulty (it should; the guy behind that series was one of the driving forces behind Tomba! but that's for another thread). That and I liked the soundtrack and graphics a lot too.

But now, playing it, I don't see how the hell I never threw my controller in frustration over how hard the game is.

Jiro
10-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I smurfing loved the demo of Tomba so hard. I played it at least a dozen times until I was so damn good that I wanted to give it a go irl.

MJN SEIFER
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I had a demo of it somewhere, it didn't have the full game though, but it was good. It was pretty fun. I'll have to look for it.

It kept alternating between Tomba and Tombi, dunno why.